• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Nick Mckenzie

Nick Mckenzie

Sunfish

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 07:04 AM

So I was out yesterday and lost a ton a salmon to log jams. How to you all work around the jams the keep them from darting under and snapping off?!?!?

#2 IR4J

IR4J

Perch

• Active Members
  • 884 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 07:52 AM

You've really only got two options, put the boots to em and try and muscle them away from cover or keep a low tip and hope you can get them out the same way they went in. There really isn't a trick to it, just a lot of luck and a lot of patience.

#3 Kit

Kit

Canadian River Angler

• Premium Account

• 1,895 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 08:23 AM

Fish in log jams period is a pain dude. Of course salmon or steel being the worst I personally stay away from trying to hit em. Cause chances are they will break off and get you snagged up.

#4 tcp

tcp

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 08:50 AM

Ir4j has the tips. Gotta put the brakes on. Takes a bunch of luck. Personally I love fishing logjam and snaggy stuff. Adds to the challenge. With salmon it's a bit tough if the logjam happens to be downstream. The shear weight of those fish will prevent you from stopping them and your line may snap. If possible, position yourself downstream of the logjam, you may have better luck

#5 fenwickfisher

fenwickfisher

Sunfish

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 12:45 PM

I usually find that most fish(not all) will run in the direction opposite of the hookset...like most are saying try to postion yourself in a way that the fish will run away from the jam....i know its easier said then done.. salmon are a strong fish and i can honestly say ive lost way more than ive landed

#6 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 03:15 PM

logs are tough, taking your chances around them for breaking off, steelhead you can usually stop and turn em, but salmon, yea good luck, when they decide to go, just hold on and enjoy and enjoy the ride, unless you have a trolling rod/reel, you aren't gonna stop them

#7 tcp

tcp

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 03:57 PM

I usually find that most fish(not all) will run in the direction opposite of the hookset...like most are saying try to postion yourself in a way that the fish will run away from the jam....i know its easier said then done.. salmon are a strong fish and i can honestly say ive lost way more than ive landed

This is true, most fish will run in the opposite direction they are being pulled from.  With carp, I initially try to pull them towards the snags so that they run away, then I can shoot down away from the snags and battle them at a safe distance. 

I find salmon almost always run downstream on the initial hooking.  they will kind of do what they want, its hard to control them with the type of equipment we bring into the rivers.  I ve chased them under fallen trees, had to pass my rod under the tree and climb over,  fight for a bit on that side of the tree then they ddecide to go back under again.  it gets crazy. 

#8 NaturehasIT

NaturehasIT

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 05:19 PM

You've really only got two options, put the boots to em and try and muscle them away from cover or keep a low tip and hope you can get them out the same way they went in. There really isn't a trick to it, just a lot of luck and a lot of patience.

Just to add. Its all about the are where u hook em too. If u fish them around logs and trees, then u are prone to get snagged in it.My experience

#9 NaturehasIT

NaturehasIT

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 05:20 PM

Fish in log jams period is a pain dude. Of course salmon or steel being the worst I personally stay away from trying to hit em. Cause chances are they will break off and get you snagged up.

X2 Bud

#10 Nick Mckenzie

Nick Mckenzie

Sunfish

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 07:13 PM

Thanks for all the tips guys. Guess it'll just be patients haha. Bruised my knuckles trying to stop em haha. And the jams are every 50-100 feet. But going again soon haha

#11 BowSlayer

BowSlayer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 07:58 PM

lol, ill show you how this weekend! 

#12 Slickrick

Slickrick

Sunfish

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 08:46 PM

not sure if this will work on salmon, but for steelhead its totally effective.   if a fish is getting away on you, lower your rod tip right into the water and reel in.  the fish will come in with no fight.  I eventually tried it when I had a steelhead hit some fast water.  I did this and in it came 5 ft away from my tip.  just remember the fish will still have fight in it, so you be prepared when you raise your rod.

#13 NaturehasIT

NaturehasIT

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 10:36 PM

not sure if this will work on salmon, but for steelhead its totally effective.   if a fish is getting away on you, lower your rod tip right into the water and reel in.  the fish will come in with no fight.  I eventually tried it when I had a steelhead hit some fast water.  I did this and in it came 5 ft away from my tip.  just remember the fish will still have fight in it, so you be prepared when you raise your rod.

Sounds good.Would have to try this out

#14 riddickulous

riddickulous

Sunfish

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 09:26 PM

Sometimes the harder you muscle the fish, the more it'll run. When desperate, try letting the line go loose. It will help to relax the fish because it doesn't feel the tension anymore and hopefully it'll swim back into the pool. 

#15 Float down

Float down

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 06:12 AM

Sometimes the harder you muscle the fish, the more it'll run. When desperate, try letting the line go loose. It will help to relax the fish because it doesn't feel the tension anymore and hopefully it'll swim back into the pool.

Yupp. Turned many a fish with this technique

#16 Float down

Float down

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 06:14 AM

Yupp. Turned many a fish with this technique, sometimes I'll actually walk behind them and set the hook again, forcing them up stream instead of down.

#17 Rainbow

Rainbow

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 07:16 AM

Catching fresh salmon in log jams can be impossible sometimes.

#18 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 07:49 AM

Yupp. Turned many a fish with this technique, sometimes I'll actually walk behind them and set the hook again, forcing them up stream instead of down.

Now would a barbless hook pop out by letting the line loose?

#19 Dewy

Dewy

Sunfish

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:56 AM

Now would a barbless hook pop out by letting the line loose?

I think it is a risk you take. When all other measures have failed, I let some slack and hope that it will swim back. IMO log jams and loosing fish is all part of the experience. Makes those fish you land even that more rewarding. I have lost plenty this year!

#20 Nick Mckenzie

Nick Mckenzie

Sunfish

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 11:03 PM

Funny. I tried the opposite direction thing today... Still swam into the jam haha. Managed to land two today, a few last weekend and two coho :)