• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 rayray519

rayray519

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 11:52 AM

Thinking of heading to St. Cath. to try my luck.  Looking at the different Youtube videos, seems like ppl fish off the bottom with roe bags (bottom bouncing).  Is this the best method to fish this tributary/port?

Will chucking spoons work there as well during the day around this time of year or is it better in October? 

Had no luck at a Lake O trib/Pier last night, thinking of taking my son out St. Cath way.  

Any help (or a PM) would be appreciated.  

Thank you.

#2 NaturehasIT

NaturehasIT

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 12:12 PM

Thinking of heading to St. Cath. to try my luck.  Looking at the different Youtube videos, seems like ppl fish off the bottom with roe bags (bottom bouncing).  Is this the best method to fish this tributary/port?

Will chucking spoons work there as well during the day around this time of year or is it better in October? 

Had no luck at a Lake O trib/Pier last night, thinking of taking my son out St. Cath way.  

Any help (or a PM) would be appreciated.  

Thank you.

Never fished there. but cant go there at this time. Would be looking for East or West tribs this weekend

#3 staffman

staffman

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 12:32 PM

Bottom bouncing when the current is strong, but expect to loose a lot of rigs to snags. Spoons and slip floats work if current is low.

#4 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 01:04 PM

The snags are brutal, keep those spoons well above the bottom or it's easy to lose $20+ worth of gear in an hour. Literally every cast you get snagged if you're not careful. As staffman said, floats plus a hunk of skein should work well.

#5 rayray519

rayray519

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 01:45 PM

Bottom bouncing when the current is strong, but expect to loose a lot of rigs to snags. Spoons and slip floats work if current is low.

Thanks staffman.  I figured you would loose lots of gear (as mentioned in the Youtube vids).  I haven't used a slip float setup before.  Are there any good vids/pics to show the best way to rid this up for trout fishing?  

#6 rayray519

rayray519

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 01:47 PM

The snags are brutal, keep those spoons well above the bottom or it's easy to lose $20+ worth of gear in an hour. Literally every cast you get snagged if you're not careful. As staffman said, floats plus a hunk of skein should work well.

Thanks Catfish.  I'll keep that in mind.  Need to figure out how to use slip floats effectively.    I usually try the raven floats with the surgical tubing.  I'd love a way to fish with a float that auto adjusts to water depths.  Never really been able to quite figure out how to get it rigged properly.

#7 staffman

staffman

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 06:44 PM

The water is quite deep there. I put a neoprene stop on my line , then a bead, then my slip float 15-20 grams .a bead then my swivel then a leader about 2 to 3 feet. I put all my shot on a short dropper off the swivel. You have to guess at a starting depth usually about 12-15 feet. If your float is slanted down stream then your shot is dragging bottom and you have to shorten the distance from float to swivel or you risk snagging. I will always run lighter leaders than mainline in case of snags.

#8 rayray519

rayray519

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:56 AM

The water is quite deep there. I put a neoprene stop on my line , then a bead, then my slip float 15-20 grams .a bead then my swivel then a leader about 2 to 3 feet. I put all my shot on a short dropper off the swivel. You have to guess at a starting depth usually about 12-15 feet. If your float is slanted down stream then your shot is dragging bottom and you have to shorten the distance from float to swivel or you risk snagging. I will always run lighter leaders than mainline in case of snags.

Thanks staffman, this is helpful and I'll give it a shot.