• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 balt0

balt0

Sunfish

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 02:29 PM

I was going to replace the treble hooks on some J Rapalas and was wondering if anyone has used single hooks instead?  I found some on the internet and thought it would be better for the fish and I hate treble hooks.  I was thinking of siwash hook -> a large swivel  -> split -> lure.  I know this exist but I was wondering if there was any follow up for changing the action of the lure?

#2 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 04:52 PM

I wouldn't, they have reasons they out the trebles on. For spoons I know they work, haven't seen anyone use them on rapalas though.

#3 cptpronin

cptpronin

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 06:56 PM

There's some that say singles affect the action of the lure.  I'm not sure about this, but I do know that if you clip the "middle" point off each treble, leaving double pointed hooks, it makes it easier to remove from a toothy mouth.  You can pinch the barbs too.

Best of both worlds IMO.

#4 JrFloatnFly

JrFloatnFly

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:02 PM

Done this with spinners, less hookups and lost more fish forsure.  Unless your fishing sensitive or small species, keep the trebles on.  Ive heard it can affect the action of certain lures too.

#5 balt0

balt0

Sunfish

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 11:17 PM

Thanks guys.  I think I will get a treble and remove one hook for the J13.  Spoons and spinners that I use for salmon/trout I will change to singles.  Spoons have a split ring but spinners don't.  Do you add one or just open the eye of the hook?  

#6 Knuguy

Knuguy

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 996 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 08:58 AM

You can buy  Swiwash hooks that have an eye that you squeeze closed once you have put it on the lure.

#7 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 03:11 PM

I put single siwash on spinners but not on plugs. blue fox spinners come with an extra single siwash as an added option.

#8 Shmogley

Shmogley

Luck is one of my skills!

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 03:29 PM

i have removed the trebles form some very small rapalas and replaced the rear treble with a single hook and leave the middle hook slot empty for some small creeks with heavy regs.

it still works fine. but if you dont really need to, leave them on. you will miss a lot more strikes with the single hook attached

it will also affect the lure action because those hooks provide an anchor and stabilize the lure in the water. single hooks dont provide even drag like a treble does.

if you really are concerned about the fish health take off the belly hook and pinch the barbs on the arse. should stop them nasty hookups that rapalas are known for. and your lure will still work as it should

#9 fishfearme

fishfearme

Sunfish

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 10:35 AM

I replace all the trebles on my steelhead cranks and stickbaits with siwash hooks. I have never noticed any change in the action of the lures. Much better for the fish to run single hooks.

#10 Aurora64blue

Aurora64blue

Earthworm

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 May 2020 - 01:09 PM

I have used single hooks, mainly Mustad, and haven't found any negative aspects to using the singles over the treble.

What I have noticed is that when I do hook up the hook placement is usually in the corner of the mouth, this goes for trout as well as bass.

I found a really good video on this subject.  In the video, the guy (Maine Trout Whisperer),  does a good comparison where he catches the same number of fish on both a Treble hook, as well as an In Line Single hook.  He then records the hook placement on the fish, and whether it was a good hook up, as well as the end result (was it a successful release).

The video was well done and gives a great deal of information.  As I mainly fly fish here in southern Ontario , I normally do not keep any of the fish we catch, so I always use single barbless hooks, whether it be on a fly or lure.  I am a bit biased towards using the single even for hard lures as my background is fly fishing and I do a lot of catch and release, I also do most of my fishing with my kids, so barbless is always preferred for my situations.

Give the video a view, it might change the way you see things!

https://www.youtube....h?v=XxrRm3uXdnE

Cheers,

Aurora64blue