• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 Shawarma

Shawarma

Perch

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 03:39 PM

I ordered a bag of brown roe and I am waiting for delivery now. I was just wondering, do I have to do anything to these eggs? Or are they ready to be  fished with? I can't what for these eggs to get here now, I just ordered a couple days ago.

You're asking the exact same questions i asked for my first order :) 

1. Do you need to do anything to them when you get them? No. They're ready to fish out of the package. Tie them up and you're good to go. 

2. How much in a bag? You absolutely should tie in different sizes. Brown roe is smaller than normal salmon roe, so you'll need more for similar sizes of other species. If you ordered a 5 oz, you should be getting between 100 - 130 bags from it in all various sizes. I didn't count when i made the bags, just made what looked "small". I don't count eggs.. so can't give you a 5-7 eggs = medium, 8-12 = large type of thing. Hopefully others can. 

3. Should you freeze them right away? What i do, tie them up, split them into outting sizes of 15bags-ish per outting, wrap them in plastic wrap, put in a ziplock back, suck out the air and freeze away. If you can't tie them right away, still, split them up anyway into outting sizes, then all you need to do is unfreeze an outting pack, tie up and catch some fish. 

Remember, you can freeze these over and over. So whatever you don't use in an outting, seal back up and put it in the freezer. 

For single eggs, you can't pierce them no, they burst. Don't know how people fish single roe honestly if it's not in a mesh bag. 

Good luck!

#22 stealthseth

stealthseth

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 06:49 PM

Perfect! I have just received order and yes, it was the 5oz package. I was instructed to divide into smaller batches and freeze. I didn't know that brown trout roe is way smaller than salmon or steelhead roe. So I will play with the sizes of bags. 

Thanks

#23 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 08:35 PM

Would the foam affect the drift.?

Will make it float upwards slightly. If you're float fishing you want roe in your bags and that's it, you need that thing close to bottom

#24 Fishheads

Fishheads

Float Fishing Superstore

• Active Members
  • 754 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 09:30 PM

Thanks everyone for fielding questions!!!!!!  as stated it is best to divide the pack into days of fishing and re freeze.   That way you only have to thaw what you need!!!   as for foam balls  IMO only suggested when fishing with out a float.  

enjoy the roe everyone the positive reviews are rolling in so I hope you all get the same results!!!!!  

#25 Paul1913

Paul1913

Perch

• Active Members
  • 592 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 10:25 PM

Can't wait to try em out Friday. *patiently waiting by mail box*

#26 beefcakebrown

beefcakebrown

Earthworm

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 12:48 PM

1. Do you need to do anything to them when you get them? No. They're ready to fish out of the package. Tie them up and you're good to go.
2. How much in a bag? You absolutely should tie in different sizes. Brown roe is smaller than normal salmon roe, so you'll need more for similar sizes of other species. If you ordered a 5 oz, you should be getting between 100 - 130 bags from it in all various sizes. I didn't count when i made the bags, just made what looked "small". I don't count eggs.. so can't give you a 5-7 eggs = medium, 8-12 = large type of thing. Hopefully others can.
3. Should you freeze them right away? What i do, tie them up, split them into outting sizes of 15bags-ish per outting, wrap them in plastic wrap, put in a ziplock back, suck out the air and freeze away. If you can't tie them right away, still, split them up anyway into outting sizes, then all you need to do is unfreeze an outting pack, tie up and catch some fish.

Remember, you can freeze these over and over. So whatever you don't use in an outting, seal back up and put it in the freezer.

For single eggs, you can't pierce them no, they burst. Don't know how people fish single roe honestly if it's not in a mesh bag.

Good luck!

#27 beefcakebrown

beefcakebrown

Earthworm

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 12:49 PM

I know that if you drop some roe in semi boiling water for about 15 seconds you get a harder roe and in that case you can pierce the egg without it breaking

#28 Shmogley

Shmogley

Luck is one of my skills!

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 09:09 PM

I know that if you drop some roe in semi boiling water for about 15 seconds you get a harder roe and in that case you can pierce the egg without it breaking

^this.

its handy for shy fish, tying a single egg bag works well too if you can keep the wrap nice and tiny/neat. also the single bag will keep on your hook a lot better then a pierced hardened egg will when little fish start getting in the way ;)

#29 Shawarma

Shawarma

Perch

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 08:23 AM

Solid bit of info! Will try it out and see how it works! Thx

#30 Rivermaniac

Rivermaniac

Sunfish

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 07:02 PM

1. Do you need to do anything to them when you get them? No. They're ready to fish out of the package. Tie them up and you're good to go. 

3. Should you freeze them right away? What i do, tie them up, split them into outting sizes of 15bags-ish per outting, wrap them in plastic wrap, put in a ziplock back, suck out the air and freeze away. If you can't tie them right away, still, split them up anyway into outting sizes, then all you need to do is unfreeze an outting pack, tie up and catch some fish. 

Good luck!

# 2 on this one I did count the eggs lol. It is my first time tying them but as of now I got 75 bags size of a nickel and dime about 15 - 20 eggs but I did find that there was the odd big one in there. I still a lot left when I froze my batch

#31 Diana Danger

Diana Danger

Steel Bunny

• Active Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 07:00 AM

[quote name="Paul1913" post="317448" timestamp="1412551329"]Would the foam affect the drift.?[/quote
Hi Paul, the foam balls will make your row bag float. I believe they are used mostly when bottom bouncing.

#32 coldfeet

coldfeet

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 354 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 07:04 PM

Steelhead candy right there

#33 balt0

balt0

Sunfish

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 08:43 PM

The brown roe should be banned, its like steelhead crack.  They just smash it.

#34 IR4J

IR4J

Perch

• Active Members
  • 884 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 08:52 PM

;-)  ;-)  ;-)  ;-)  ;-)

#35 Fishheads

Fishheads

Float Fishing Superstore

• Active Members
  • 754 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 08:32 PM

Steelhead candy right there

;-)  ;-)  ;-)  ;-)  ;-)

Glad you all are happy.   Send Me Picks fishheadscanada@hotmail.com

#36 PUMP KNOWS

PUMP KNOWS

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 08:40 PM

Brown trout roe is sold out?

#37 Fishheads

Fishheads

Float Fishing Superstore

• Active Members
  • 754 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 07:24 PM

Brown trout roe is sold out?

picking up a new batch Sunday will be ready to ship Tuesday or Wednesday @PUMP KNOWS 

#38 PUMP KNOWS

PUMP KNOWS

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 10:07 AM

NEW BATCH OF BROWN TROUT ROE ARE IN!!!!

I just ordered :)

#39 Paul1913

Paul1913

Perch

• Active Members
  • 592 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 12:00 PM

I still got lots left over from last order. Sunday can't come quick enough.

#40 balt0

balt0

Sunfish

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 04:46 PM

I just ordered too. :razz:   10 oz of steelie crack  :cool:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: roe, rainbowtrout, spawn, bags, eggs, bait