32 replies to this topic

#1 jkw

jkw

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 08:49 PM

Hey OFF peeps. 

I have never started a post before but I had a few things I wanted to throw out there, see where they land. This is the first year I am salmon fishing the East Tribs since I was a kid. I am usually guiding up north until October, when I come home and start fishing steelhead!!!

I've been reading the forum discussions on snagging and salmon fishing, and have already had my share of experiences being bummed out watching hosers lining and flossing. I think we all have the same view of that stuff. I now opt to fish the lake and cast spoons to fish that actually chase and bite the baits. 

But my point is this: The thing I see that disturbs me most right now is the ROE PILLAGE that seems to be taking place every year. I am a steelheader at heart. I know in general the creeks are a more peaceful, clean and respected place in (let's say) November than they are right now. I also know there are a lot of great steelhead anglers that go out of their way to clean up after others, respect the fishery, teach good ethics, etc.

But I feel like it is also many a fellow steelhead that goes down to the creek, catches a huge king salmon, slits it belly for iroe, and leaves the carcass to rot. Many of the pools I walked by the other day had 5-10 slit bellied salmon rotting in them. It is some post apocalyptic sh*t. 

We all need roe. But this disturbs me, I don't know about you but I think it's wrong. Even if you think it is only good for dog food, I think it's better (and more ethical) to take the carcass and use the meat, even if you just slab it on the spot…  at least dispose of it better and don't throw it in the creek.

I don't know what "the right way to get roe" is. The last 4 years I get my roe by milking freshly dead salmon I come across while steelhead fishing. Although it is gross  (although not much different than handling a zombie boot that's "alive"), I found that the roe is loose, the eggs are good, and I leave feeling better than I would have if I killed the fish.

Long post! but I wanted to put it out there. Tell me what you think!

JKW

#2 jkw

jkw

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 09:56 PM

this link was posted by Shawarma in the shoutbox and answers the questions from the CO's perspective. It also points out the most important point that I missed, it's illegal to waste fish!

http://www.outdooron...mnrfaqfish.html

#3 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 10:01 PM

Hey OFF peeps. 

I have never started a post before but I had a few things I wanted to throw out there, see where they land. This is the first year I am salmon fishing the East Tribs since I was a kid. I am usually guiding up north until October, when I come home and start fishing steelhead!!!

I've been reading the forum discussions on snagging and salmon fishing, and have already had my share of experiences being bummed out watching hosers lining and flossing. I think we all have the same view of that stuff. I now opt to fish the lake and cast spoons to fish that actually chase and bite the baits. 

But my point is this: The thing I see that disturbs me most right now is the ROE PILLAGE that seems to be taking place every year. I am a steelheader at heart. I know in general the creeks are a more peaceful, clean and respected place in (let's say) November than they are right now. I also know there are a lot of great steelhead anglers that go out of their way to clean up after others, respect the fishery, teach good ethics, etc.

But I feel like it is also many a fellow steelhead that goes down to the creek, catches a huge king salmon, slits it belly for iroe, and leaves the carcass to rot. Many of the pools I walked by the other day had 5-10 slit bellied salmon rotting in them. It is some post apocalyptic sh*t. 

We all need roe. But this disturbs me, I don't know about you but I think it's wrong. Even if you think it is only good for dog food, I think it's better (and more ethical) to take the carcass and use the meat, even if you just slab it on the spot…  at least dispose of it better and don't throw it in the creek.

I don't know what "the right way to get roe" is. The last 4 years I get my roe by milking freshly dead salmon I come across while steelhead fishing. Although it is gross  (although not much different than handling a zombie boot that's "alive"), I found that the roe is loose, the eggs are good, and I leave feeling better than I would have if I killed the fish.

Long post! but I wanted to put it out there. Tell me what you think!

JKW

no, people don't need it, they want it. there are many other ways of obtaining roe, just people want something for nothing, pink worms, flies, hardware, dew worms and beads all work and will out perform roe most times. the need, is a mind set that people need to get out of.

the snagging and lining/flossing, it happens even when you aren't meaning for it to happen, however, doing it on purpose with 80lb braid on a musky rod with big @ss trebles is a huge p!ss off

#4 PUMP KNOWS

PUMP KNOWS

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 10:02 PM

I started fishing last year and I missed the salmon run.  I had to get my roe this way until I found out I can order roe from Fishheads.

#5 jkw

jkw

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 10:09 PM

no, people don't need it, they want it. there are many other ways of obtaining roe, just people want something for nothing, pink worms, flies, hardware, dew worms and beads all work and will out perform roe most times. the need, is a mind set that people need to get out of.

the snagging and lining/flossing, it happens even when you aren't meaning for it to happen, however, doing it on purpose with 80lb braid on a musky rod with big @ss trebles is a huge p!ss off

Great point FrequentFlyer. We don't need it, It is not necessary, there are lots of ways to catch steelhead. But there are legal ways to obtain it, and seeing the waste really sucks. and stinks. 

#6 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 10:11 PM

I started fishing last year and I missed the salmon run.  I had to get my roe this way until I found out I can order roe from Fishheads.

and if you want it before your order arrives, you can get it already pre tied in bags from your local tackle shop

#7 DitchWizard

DitchWizard

Perch

• Active Members
  • 693 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 10:38 PM

Well first off the steelhead fishing I do in November is far from peaceful more like combat insanity with 100s of guys. I like the hatchery roe and use it only problem being is I vastly prefer fresh roe. I will bonk a few salmon and release a couple hundred steelhead later.  

#8 kriseye

kriseye

Earthworm

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 08:21 AM

I agree with jkw.
Every time I get to a lake or creek first thing I do is clean the area around me. I always carry a couple garbage bags just to clean the mess others have left behind.

I have a feeling most these garbage in the same area, same garbage is left by the same anglers.
What I don't understand is, why someone can't clean their own garbage? Why turn your fishing spot, the place you come to do what you love into a dump zone.

Its an eye sore when I see Tim Hortan cups, empty worm containers, bags, corn and other food containers laying around.

Myself and others had to put off someone else's bon fire a few times this year when I go to these spots early morning.

Have some respect to nature, other anglers, animals and humans around you.

There's kids and pets visiting these areas....be responsible.

Clean your own sh** so next time you get there you and your ppl won't have to complain about how the place is polluted.

#9 Almar

Almar

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 08:47 AM

Great point FrequentFlyer. We don't need it, It is not necessary, there are lots of ways to catch steelhead. But there are legal ways to obtain it, and seeing the waste really sucks. and stinks.

I'd ban the use of roe. It won't solve the problem entirely but it will help.

#10 free reign

free reign

Sunfish

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 08:53 AM

you dont need roe-- start using bead

killing fissh for  eggs - if you must only take one son--dont ruin the fun

#11 Buzzkill

Buzzkill

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 12:56 PM

Banning roe would be an interesting solution. Anyone know of something similar happening in the past?

#12 MATTD

MATTD

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 09:06 PM

Coming from the east coast and fishing the Credit and Bronte last year I witnessed some of the situations being described here and was a bit in shock. You guys have a great fishery already but it could be epic if the salmon were not to be killed just for the roe. Seeing these fish float down stream with their stomachs slit open was a hard concept to grasp. ...... But sounds like a hard one to enforce as well unless roe was banned then the people following the rules get penalized . Great topic but it will generate so heat :)

#13 jkw

jkw

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 09:38 PM

Glad for the feedback, some good ideas there. I would be down with a roe ban! 

#14 rybak

rybak

Sunfish

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 09:59 PM

I hit a few places today and the last one on Bronte had one female gutted and de-eyed! F'n hell it looked disgusting. Honestly, what the hell is wrong with people!

#15 rick james

rick james

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 08:07 AM

I see the concern with gutted fish left all over the river bank and I agree this is unacceptable but I think banning roe is not in the best interest of fisherman. Roe has produced for me at times when artificials did not. I think respect for the fish and fishery and following the rules as they are is all that is needed.

#16 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 08:20 AM

at the very least, if you're going to gut a fish for roe, do NOT leave it on the bank, take it to feed your dog or use it as fertilizer

#17 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 08:34 AM

A lot of these guys are taking the roe for food, not bait. Roe ban won't stop it

#18 salmotrutta

salmotrutta

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 08:35 AM

de-eyed!

Birds eat the eyes..

Match the hatch = maggots

If roe gets banned I'm starting an artificial roe business. 

#19 Shmogley

Shmogley

Luck is one of my skills!

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 09:40 AM

A lot of these guys are taking the roe for food, not bait. Roe ban won't stop it

mmm salmon caviar with cream cheese on cracker ;)

#20 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 09:46 AM

nope, but make rivers and creeks c&r only or no kill,  for salmon will

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: snagging, roe, salmon, steelhead