• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 steelhead101

steelhead101

Sunfish

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 05:06 PM

this is the first year i have seen people use pink worms for salmon, what the hell! are people that clueless ! how can't  they figure out that they are only hooking the salmon in the mouth because the worm floats and flosses them every time. (and no they are not fishing for browns/bows in deep pools, I'm talking shallow runs with salmon right in front of them!

on a side note, what the heck is up with a bowmanville salmon derby. i bet the winner caught all fish on a pink worm haha! at least pick a river where there is some sport involved, i bet not a single fish was angled that day!

#2 tcp

tcp

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 05:32 PM

on a side note, what the heck is up with a bowmanville salmon derby. i bet the winner caught all fish on a pink worm haha! at least pick a river where there is some sport involved, i bet not a single fish was angled that day!

I have to agree, I found the concept laughable.  My friend entered into the derby and told me that most anglers were using centerpins, floats and roe and that there was no flossing or snagging that he witnessed. He said it was 100% legit hook ups and it was an awesome event with loads of skilled anglers present.  I still have a hard time with the concept of a salmon derby in the river targeting fish on their redds.

I have fished bowmanville and there are no proper pools, its a ditch.  i feel guilty of looganism when I fish there when salmon are spawning in it. 

#3 steelhead101

steelhead101

Sunfish

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 05:42 PM

I have to agree, I found the concept laughable.  My friend entered into the derby and told me that most anglers were using centerpins, floats and roe and that there was no flossing or snagging that he witnessed. He said it was 100% legit hook ups and it was an awesome event with loads of skilled anglers present.  I still have a hard time with the concept of a salmon derby in the river targeting fish on their redds.

I have fished bowmanville and there are no proper pools, its a ditch.  i feel guilty of looganism when I fish there when salmon are spawning in it. 

i heard the same, but i mean there really only is one real pool in the entire river and with 50 lines passing through i find it hard to imagine any were hitting past 7 am..... and totally agree with your opinion in the river, just has a bad feeling to it when you go there!

#4 Paul1913

Paul1913

Perch

• Active Members
  • 592 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 05:48 PM

i heard the same, but i mean there really only is one real pool in the entire river and with 50 lines passing through i find it hard to imagine any were hitting past 7 am..... and totally agree with your opinion in the river, just has a bad feeling to it when you go there!

I felt the same way. I went there once in 2013 and I told myself.. WTF and I doing here.. Water was low too and it was shoulder to shoulder even during the week. I didn't say there more than 1 hour before snapping back into reality..

#5 Rainbow

Rainbow

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 05:49 PM

They don't hit when they're surrounded by people like that. Especially if they're in the shallows the water's clear! I would guess that not a single fish actually bit that day :razz:

#6 ChasinTails

ChasinTails

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 06:02 PM

it was a mess, i went there too look around, they usually get some bows around this time and holy cow was it busy, wayyy to many people

#7 steelhead101

steelhead101

Sunfish

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 06:03 PM

can you imagine fishing a tournament there !

#8 CJR

CJR

#RNS

• Active Members
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 06:21 PM

can you imagine fishing a tournament there !

I'm ready.

Hook-03-1024x706.jpg

#9 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 06:22 PM

Lmao

#10 balt0

balt0

Sunfish

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 08:13 PM

this is the first year i have seen people use pink worms for salmon, what the hell! are people that clueless ! how can't  they figure out that they are only hooking the salmon in the mouth because the worm floats and flosses them every time. (and no they are not fishing for browns/bows in deep pools, I'm talking shallow runs with salmon right in front of them!

I was doing that today.  I was not trying to catch any salmon but got a coho on and lost it.  Is there a way to avoid hooking the salmon while fishing for trout?  I caught a few smolts around 10" but nothing big.

#11 danny Moogk

danny Moogk

Sunfish

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 08:22 PM

Went to 2 eastern tributaries today. First time for salmon fishing there. Wow what a disgrace! Butchered carcasses littering the banks of the creeks, coffee cups and other assorted garbage left scattered by so called ethical anglers. We fished a few pools and decided to leave as we observed other so called anglers snagging to their hearts delight. We normally toss spoons from the piers for salmon where I believe the fish are still hitting out of aggression. Thankfully salmon fishing -slaughter is almost finished for another season. I am of the opinion we should outlaw river fishing for salmon as it gives us all a bad name! Never again will I target salmon in the rivers .

#12 NaturehasIT

NaturehasIT

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 08:38 PM

I'm ready.

Hook-03-1024x706.jpg

HAhahahahaha

#13 PUMP KNOWS

PUMP KNOWS

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 08:40 PM

I was searching for the salmon derby pics on FB but I guess they removed it.

There was one pic that I remember that was taken on a bend that had the sunken tree. 

I can't believe how many anglers in that one pic.  Someone even pointed out the guys on top of the banks who were jigging.

#14 classic drifter

classic drifter

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 09:20 PM

Not to be a deuce or anything but, would you consider me flossing if im fishing in my estimate a 7 foot pool with a 4 foot max float rig? Im a big fan of the pinkies and out east that was the ticket for me last monday, not as much pressure i guess compared to the weekend, i was drifting roe the first 2 hours got myself 3 nookies, on various colored bags and similar sizes, then when the bite suddenly stoppedi switched into the pinkies, 10 mins later the bite was on like there was no tomorrow, i switched to roe again every hour or so, changing from roe to pinkie every hour, but when i move pools i make it sure that im about estimatedly 3 feet from the bottom, i considered last monday to be one of my sucessfull days 11/15 more or less 5 on the roe and 6 on the pinkie, dont take it wrong from me but i dont think there was anything wrong with my method. And i might have get what your trying to prove the wrong way, (please correct me if i did so) but in a way i kinda got offended that some people were against drifting pinkies, i was searching and hoping a brown or a steelhead would take my offering( specially the pinkie) but i dont know for whatever reason it ends up in the salmons mouth either its pissed off from it drifting beside it, did he really want to eat it or did it have a case of flossing, some folks from quebec were saying im a pro flosser cause i seemed to hit fish more often than them when they were fishing beside me, i got offended that time and decided to be the bigger man and kept my mouth shut. Few hours later they left cause all they were doing was snagging anyway( i mean heavy rods loaded with 60 lb braid and a nasty big spoon and float rigs with 50 lb braided line set deeper than lake ontario) in my very honest opinion my intentions to fish is clean, none of these methods i.e snagging, lining flossing is in anyway acceptable to me, to me if people assume that i was doing such methods to catch fish i wouldnt be on the water, cause i take pride in how my methods were developed and honed. I got nothing bad against you brother or to anyone who gets affected but this thread kinda rubbed me off the wrong way, and if i stepped on someones foot i apologize, i might have just got the message or the point the wrong way

#15 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 11:28 PM

Worms have great buoyancy :lol: 

#16 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 07:49 AM

I have recently witnessed 2 guys snagging steelhead in the bellies and tails with float rigs. The water was chocolate milk, fast flowing and right beneath a dam. Never seen anything like it before. Not gonna go over their rig cause don't want anyone else trying it out.

#17 Garfield the Cat

Garfield the Cat

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 480 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 10:32 AM

Went to 2 eastern tributaries today. First time for salmon fishing there. Wow what a disgrace! Butchered carcasses littering the banks of the creeks, coffee cups and other assorted garbage left scattered by so called ethical anglers. We fished a few pools and decided to leave as we observed other so called anglers snagging to their hearts delight. We normally toss spoons from the piers for salmon where I believe the fish are still hitting out of aggression. Thankfully salmon fishing -slaughter is almost finished for another season. I am of the opinion we should outlaw river fishing for salmon as it gives us all a bad name! Never again will I target salmon in the rivers .

Pl don't give any authorities any ideas. It will ruin it for the honest fisherman I say just lower limits on salmon to one

#18 tcp

tcp

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 10:34 AM

I was searching for the salmon derby pics on FB but I guess they removed it.

There was one pic that I remember that was taken on a bend that had the sunken tree. 

I can't believe how many anglers in that one pic.  Someone even pointed out the guys on top of the banks who were jigging.

I saw on facebook the guy that won biggest coho was using jigs under a float. 

I was doing that today.  I was not trying to catch any salmon but got a coho on and lost it.  Is there a way to avoid hooking the salmon while fishing for trout?  I caught a few smolts around 10" but nothing big.

ya if u run your float/indicator at the right height for the pool and try to focus your drift/swing on the tail of the pool you can avoid a lot of salmon and get into the smaller fish that are busy eating salmon eggs.  dont set your hook like a mad man and you wont snag salmon.   keep your hook point buried in your roe bag in such a way that it will pop out when compressed, that will help you not to snag salmon that bump into your bait as well. 
Of course the occasional salmon will bite or get flossed and pull down your float, but you can avoid almost 100% of foul hooks by hiding the hook point and running your bait below or above where the salmon are sitting .

Anyways,  the point of the story is, targeting fish on their redds is unethical.   although here in Ontario we have a heavy stocking program for pacific salmon and natural reproduction isn't completely critical to sustaining the fishery so if you shoot out there in September to grab up on a hen or two for steelhead bait for the rest of the year,  I don't really see a problem with that, as long as the carcass/meat ends up in your garden etc and as long as you aren't selling roe illegally.  Its the guys that haul as many salmon as they can in one night, stack the carcasses in the bush, bellies slit.  I saw a recent picture from port hope like this. Keep it clean and legal and all is well.

Almost all actively spawning fish of any species wont eat anything, they may strike to kill and protect their redds though, thats why they hang out over them.  However you can usually find some stragglers who aren't sitting on their redds and ethically speaking, those fish are fair game as they are probably feeding anyways.  The ethical way to fish is to offer a food item(or imitation of one) and convince a feeding fish to eat it.   Same thing goes for bass, trout, carp, etc etc.  If there was a bass tournament in may/june and hundreds of anglers were hauling bass off their spawning beds (redds)  the fishery would suffer big time and there would be a quite an uproar, thats why bass opener is not til after bass finish spawning.  They are just too vulnerable during spawning. 

#19 rayray519

rayray519

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 12:42 PM

Is it legal for people to gut the fish for eggs and toss the carcus back?? Aren't they supposed to keep the fish if its already dead?

#20 Shawarma

Shawarma

Perch

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 01:13 PM

Is it legal for people to gut the fish for eggs and toss the carcus back?? Aren't they supposed to keep the fish if its already dead?

Nope, not legal. And yes, you are supposed to keep the fish you kill and not discard it on the bank or trash.