• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 JDean

JDean

Sunfish

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 11:16 AM

I should have taken a picture but didn't, so I will just put this out there as it is.

Was fishing my local east trib yesterday (one I have been fishing for over 30 years) and was just disgusted by the condition of the surrounding area.  It was a literal garbage dump and easy enough to see what all the garbage was from........fisherman.  The banks of the section I was fishing were littered with everything from plastic baggies, worm containers, pop cans, coffee cups, McDonald bags....not to mention all the slit fish but that is another issue.  This type of behaviour puts us all in a bad light with the non-angling public. 

I did what I could yesterday and carted out a small portion of the garbage and plan on returning to clean up the rest. 

Sorry to rant but it is really upsetting when you see this and you know that you should pack out what you pack in.  This makes us all look bad.

Again sorry about the rant but it just pisses me off to see this.   This is how access is lost to areas.  Please pick up after yourselves....you know who you are. 

JD

#2 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 11:19 AM

never be sorry to go on a rant about fishermans garbage, everyone needs a wakeup call about it

#3 IR4J

IR4J

Perch

• Active Members
  • 884 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 11:23 AM

I told you it was a f-ing mess... Its those darn kids... Well its everyone, they all suck... 

#4 JDean

JDean

Sunfish

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 11:28 AM

Really, how effing hard is it to put that plastic bag or pop can in your pack and take it out to the nearest garbage receptacle with you?

Guess they are all waiting for their moms to clean up after them.

#5 Diana Danger

Diana Danger

Steel Bunny

• Active Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 11:39 AM

The garbage this year is outta control.  What is wrong with people?? 

#6 azp

azp

Sunfish

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 11:41 AM

do i sense a garbage pick up day?

#7 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 11:42 AM

remember the clean up we did last year at the mouth of one east creek, between 5 or 6 of us, we pulled out like 20bags of garbage

#8 azp

azp

Sunfish

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 11:44 AM

let's do it...the seasons already here =)

#9 PUMP KNOWS

PUMP KNOWS

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 11:47 AM

I was fishing a east trib yesterday and I saw a bunch of guys who I think were volunteers or workers picking up garbage.

I gotta give these guys props for what they were doing.

3ea24fc3f2a6f2995fb1eafe225bac08.gif

#10 IR4J

IR4J

Perch

• Active Members
  • 884 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 11:52 AM

^ Pump wins

#11 azp

azp

Sunfish

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 03:29 PM

I was fishing a east trib yesterday and I saw a bunch of guys who I think were volunteers or workers picking up garbage.

the rock....really?

#12 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 03:38 PM

But remember...not all people that holds a fishing rod are fishermen/fisherwomen.

#13 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 03:41 PM

the rock....really?

well if ain't the rock ...106048-Wisers-Whiskey-Slow-Clap-Remak-gm

#14 Shmogley

Shmogley

Luck is one of my skills!

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 04:15 PM

yea look at oakville. so many area that used to be open are closed for fisherman now. because of all the folks complaining about garbage everywhere.

coming to a neighborhood near you soon

#15 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 07:24 PM

50 mm of rain will clear those banks nice and good :evil: All joking aside we do a creek clean up out in Newcastle each year.  Two hot spots yeild 15-20 garbage bags. 
Happens around mid October.  I honestly don't understand people - spots will be taken away from us if this continues.  Worst part is most the garbage out there is usually easier to take back than bring in ( beers cans, McDonalds, Tims coffee... ) A fellow board member does one for his local trib out west - would love to see more clean ups organised :)

gahbag_zpsa64d0ff7.jpg

#16 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 07:24 PM

Disregard the "No dumping" sign :lol:

#17 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 07:36 PM

and thats a bit of a hike to get that crap outta there, especially with the load of carts we had last year

#18 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 07:54 PM

I've already seen many no tresspassing signs put up here in Niagara right on top of fishing spots. The MNR should make all the tribs sanctuaries from August 31 to October 15 or something like that. I stuff the 1 inch piece of extra line after a knot in my coat pocket, it absolutely disgusts me when some loogan gets a birdsnest and takes all the line of his spool and leaves it on the ground- WHEN THE NEAREST GARBAGE CAN IS 10 FEET AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#19 Alfiegee

Alfiegee

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 08:33 PM

It's sad, some people.

About 5 years ago I reveilled a nice fishing spot in Mississauga to another OFF member. He in turn told me a good spot to catch Bass and "eyes on a western trib. It is at the end of a dead-end road and a number of Jack axes have been trashing the place. There are a number of cottages along the road and this year one of the cottagers ( I believe ) has started spreading nails in the parking area and also spreading chemicals on the cars of those who park there.

Even though there are a number of people who do leave trash there, some of us do carry trash out. I apologize for the axes, but I am not one of them, what if it is my tire that blows out at 110 on the 403? With 30 lbs of garbage that I am going to put out at the curb at my house?

Alfie?

#20 White_bucket13

White_bucket13

Earthworm

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 12:45 PM

most of those trashers are kids.