• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Diana Danger

Diana Danger

Steel Bunny

• Active Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 11:50 AM

I am trying to decide between the pink islander steelheader or a pink kingpin imperial. 

What are your opinions on both reels?

Thanks for the help!

kingpin_zps52bff5f9.jpg

kingpin2_zpsda206529.jpg

islander_zpsaebbefb4.jpg

#2 IR4J

IR4J

Perch

• Active Members
  • 884 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 11:57 AM

We discussed a few thoughts but the other thing I have to add is that kingpin warranties are done in Ontario now and islanders remain on the west coast... Not an initial/physical comparison but done the road that may be worth  the price difference?

#3 Diana Danger

Diana Danger

Steel Bunny

• Active Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 11:59 AM

How often do these CPs need warranty?  What things could go wrong?

#4 Diana Danger

Diana Danger

Steel Bunny

• Active Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 12:00 PM

I gotta say that the black back on the kingpin is something I dislike.   I prefer allll pink, ahhh yeeeaa.....

#5 PUMP KNOWS

PUMP KNOWS

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 12:04 PM

Buy both :)

I thought about buying a used pink Islander.

The only reason why I didn't pull the trigger was it had someone's name engraved on it.

I like pink

#6 IR4J

IR4J

Perch

• Active Members
  • 884 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 12:05 PM

Not often if you take care of them... Ive never  "warrantied" any of mine but I did have my raven sent in for servicing not to long ago.

Stuff like bearings, clicker (wear)  and handles cracking/loosening  are the big ones... 

#7 Diana Danger

Diana Danger

Steel Bunny

• Active Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 12:06 PM

Buy both :)

I thought about buying a used pink Islander.

The only reason why I didn't pull the trigger was it had someone's name engraved on it.

I like pink

Looking for a real opinion! lol

#8 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 12:07 PM

i think the islanders are the top choice for west coast fisherman, the fish are bigger and fight harder than anything you'll find here, both are great choices but i think islander is a more proven reel than the kingpin

#9 staffman

staffman

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 01:11 PM

I have owned both Islanders and Kingpin reels and I would always select the Kingpin over the Islander. Not all Islanders have a good start up, but all kingpins do. Islander uses Nylon parts now for the clicker wheel and the centre hub that houses the pin, where as Kingpins are made out of quality metal parts. The clicker on a Kingpin is much stronger than the Islander's clicker. Centerpinangling is the Canadian service and warranty centre and therefore if something were to go wrong with your Kingpin you can get it serviced in the GTA and save shipping charges. The person with the Kingpin reel for sale is a stand up guy and would fix your reel likely for free as long as you owned the reel.

#10 Diana Danger

Diana Danger

Steel Bunny

• Active Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 01:30 PM

I have owned both Islanders and Kingpin reels and I would always select the Kingpin over the Islander. Not all Islanders have a good start up, but all kingpins do. Islander uses Nylon parts now for the clicker wheel and the centre hub that houses the pin, where as Kingpins are made out of quality metal parts. The clicker on a Kingpin is much stronger than the Islander's clicker. Centerpinangling is the Canadian service and warranty centre and therefore if something were to go wrong with your Kingpin you can get it serviced in the GTA and save shipping charges. The person with the Kingpin reel for sale is a stand up guy and would fix your reel likely for free as long as you owned the reel.

Thats the kind of opinion I am looking for!  Thank you :)

#11 Diana Danger

Diana Danger

Steel Bunny

• Active Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 01:35 PM

More opinions appreciated...

#12 staffman

staffman

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 01:38 PM

The Kingpin has sold so you'll be stuck with the Islander. Hope you get one of the good ones.

#13 Shawarma

Shawarma

Perch

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 02:36 PM

Anyway to test startup on the reel before purchase? Spin test is a bit of a waste of time. They'll spin great without a doubt but startup is tricky. 

#14 troutchaser

troutchaser

Sunfish

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 02:54 PM

I don't post much on this forum but feel I could offer some insight. I have owned and fished the same Islander for 6 years now without a single issue.The past weekend I had the opportunity to fish my buddy's Imperial and I must say the two reels are completely different in feel. Holding the islander you feel like you're using a "machine" but when I fished the Imperial I felt like I was holding a toy. Not sure what material either reels are made from but they sure feel different when you hold them. The islander feels slightly thicker while the imperial felt a lot thinner. Performance wise, both reels are quality reels and performed on the same level. My advice would be to hold each reel because they have truly do have different feels to them. I can vouch for Islanders being known as "workhorses" and I know you wouldn't be disappointed with the performance of an islander. My two cents but both are great choices and great looking reels

#15 Diana Danger

Diana Danger

Steel Bunny

• Active Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 03:01 PM

The Kingpin has SOLD

Thanks for the input.

#16 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 03:13 PM

buck for buck I would take a kingpin over any other reel if I can afford it. have tried both and all i can say, as soon as your bobber hit water. It's like it's just a bobber drifting in the water with no line. that's how smooth the Kingpin I tried was. But then again, my friend probably did something to it.

#17 Brian

Brian

Perch

• Active Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 05:13 PM

I don't own any of them but I tried them both. I love the Islander; it looks great and feels like a solid reel. You would have to really really abuse it for something to go wrong.

You're going to be happy with it.

#18 Diana Danger

Diana Danger

Steel Bunny

• Active Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 05:38 PM

Ok, thanks guys...today I spoke with a real gentleman who's willing to sell me his R2, also in Pink....

#19 Dewy

Dewy

Sunfish

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 06:07 PM

I own an Islander and have no complaints. Great reel, takes a lot of abuse and is made in Canada.  Not sure the price difference, but in my opinion you pay the extra for the KP for the name. Just my opinion. 

#20 staffman

staffman

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 07:41 PM

You made a great choice and I'm sure the reel will be a pleasure to fish with. And you did buy from a great guy.