10 replies to this topic

#1 JordanMcK

JordanMcK

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 09:04 AM

Hey folks,

Anybody on here do kayak fishing?.. I'm thinking about buying one, but I'm not sure if it'll suit my needs. I'd like to be able to fish the great lakes (in the shallows obviously) and parts of the Niagara. I've heard of people fishing Erie on kayaks, and I've personally seen people drifting down the lower Niagara in kayaks.. Just not sure if these people are crazy, or if it's actually somewhat safe to do so in a kayak. 

Any insight on the whole kayak fishing experience (whether it be on the great lakes, small streams, etc) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys, 

Happy Fishing!

#2 klusownik

klusownik

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 09:17 AM

Go for Sit on top kayak around 12-14ft long. Stay away from cheap brands and short kayaks.

These will fit your needs

wilderness ride 135 or tarpon 140 

hobie revolution 13, outback or adventure island

jackson cuda, coosa or tuna

ocean kayak big tuna

Right now is a good time to buy used, as a lot of people try to sell them because they plan buying new models in spring

#3 chasingfish

chasingfish

Sunfish

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 09:19 AM

Well I do a lot of canoe fishing. I stay away from big water. Been out a couple times and it's too sketchy for my liking. Same as u I've seen guys in kayaks/canoes out on the big lakes and I always think "man they're nuts" lol. Small lakes and rivers are the way to go imo. Hope this helped a bit.

#4 klusownik

klusownik

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 09:25 AM

#5 christotheashto

christotheashto

Sunfish

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 10:38 AM

Go for Sit on top kayak around 12-14ft long. Stay away from cheap brands and short kayaks.

I feel like this is prohibitive advice. You don't need a $1500 Hobie kayak to fish out of. 

My first fishing kayak was a Clearwater Designs Tofino, made in Canada (Picton area), and I purchased from a local retailer for about $700 after taxes. Not only did I get a great deal on an amazing boat, I support a local company versus sending my money to China. If I had the elitist attitude that "I can only fish from a Hobie" I would have never experienced what an awesome kayak my Clearwater is. I absolutely love it. I installed a Scotty mount with fish finder, rod holder, GoPro mount, etc. and installed some flush mount rod holders. I still fish in that vessel. I've been out in very rough water and had no trouble navigating the boat. It's also an 11 footer. Unless you're covering a poop ton of water and care about speed, then you don't need anything close to 14ft. Also, a 14ft boat is a beast to haul around, in most cases for a 14ft FISHING specific kayak, you're going to need a trailer, or some system that will allow you to get it up on your roof. I've portaged my yak several kilometres a day in various Provincial Parks with ease.

Get something that will be practical for you. Not what someone else says you need in order to catch fish. The Tarpon or Ride135 are good suggestions if you can find them for a solid used price on Kijiji. But I think a Hobie or Jackson are overkill for someone new to the sport and will end up costing you way way more money for both the boat itself, and for accessories once you find that you need a trailer to tow it on, or a wheeelie cart to bring it from your car to the lake, etc.

#6 Diana Danger

Diana Danger

Steel Bunny

• Active Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 03:16 PM

Talk to goodentight

#7 allan

allan

Sunfish

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 06:53 PM

I am a big guy and have been very happy with my 10' Moken Kayak by the Feel Free Co.  - it comes set up for fishing and is wide enough and stable enough to be confident in in small waters. I haven't been in a longer kayak so can't really comment on how its tracking would compare but the small size is very convenient. I can fit mine inside my van if i need to and it has a rear wheel on it to help with moving it around. Don't always have to go long if you stick to small lakes and rivers etc. 

#8 bullshark

bullshark

Sunfish

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 08:55 PM

I have a hobie pro angler...love it. Top of the line as far as fishing kayaks go. Expensive yes, but worth it if you're going to use it lots. I put a fishfinder and extra rod holders on mine. Used it on Lake Erie and use it on Superior lots. I've never tipped it and can easily fish standing up. 

kayak.jpg

#9 JordanMcK

JordanMcK

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 04:33 PM

Thanks or all the info folks!.. Very helpful and much appreciated. 

#10 Matthew Rossi

Matthew Rossi

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 08:53 AM

I bought an ocean kayak torque angler for lake ontario fishing. I couldn't imagine doing it in anything smaller. With a fishing kayak you want stability more then anything so it won't be a quick boat to paddle and transport and launching takes a bit more effort. However when you've done it a few times it becomes second nature and then you can spend more time fishing. I even strapped it to the roof of my car and took it up to Haliburton from Mississauga with ease for a smallmouth tournament.

#11 JCRG

JCRG

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 10:06 PM

Also check out the nucanoe frontier. I picked one up this year and i love it. Super stable, easy to stand up and fish, and very very easy to customize with the track system. I got the 12 foot and have fished rivers and smaller lakes, the seat upgrade is a most