• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 TheSkyIsBlue

TheSkyIsBlue

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 10:34 AM

Hello everybody, just wanted to ask your opinion on Mikes glo mallows. I've seen various sources say that they are the best salmon/steelhead bait of all. Any info or help on how to fish this is appreciated.

Attached Images

• 20141004_102544.jpg

#2 IR4J

IR4J

Perch

• Active Members
  • 884 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 10:47 AM

You are going to want to fish them under a float, Id suggest double the depth of the water you are trying to fish (At least). Also use a lot of shot around 3 feet up from you hook, this will keep your presentation horizontal in the water column. 

You are going to want to bait up on a treble hook, this way if one hook bends out then the other 2 get them.

Set the hook at any bump, and hold on tight!

#3 cptpronin

cptpronin

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 11:04 AM

No such thing as the best bait. No magic bullets.

Egg or bell sinker on the mainline, heavy enough to cast and sink to bottom, barrel swivel, 18" leader, hook small enough for mallow to float.

#4 Rainbow

Rainbow

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 11:22 AM

I've seen various sources say that they are the best salmon/steelhead bait of all.

srs?

#5 fishing89

fishing89

Perch

• Active Members
  • 582 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 11:24 AM

in all seriousness...

that's awful bait lol. Learn to use beads or just stick to good old fashioned roe. Roe is probably THE ultimate bait for all salmon and trout all season.

#6 staffman

staffman

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 11:33 AM

in all seriousness...

that's awful bait lol. Learn to use beads or just stick to good old fashioned roe. Roe is probably THE ultimate bait for all salmon and trout all season.

x2

#7 TheSkyIsBlue

TheSkyIsBlue

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 12:02 PM

You are going to want to fish them under a float, Id suggest double the depth of the water you are trying to fish (At least). Also use a lot of shot around 3 feet up from you hook, this will keep your presentation horizontal in the water column. 

You are going to want to bait up on a treble hook, this way if one hook bends out then the other 2 get them.

Set the hook at any bump, and hold on tight!

No such thing as the best bait. No magic bullets.

Egg or bell sinker on the mainline, heavy enough to cast and sink to bottom, barrel swivel, 18" leader, hook small enough for mallow to float.

Thanks for the help! Gonna try those methods tomorrow morning on an east trib. Also this sound s kinda outrageous but one of my friends caught a steelhead on a 4" flipping tube, should I try it or just stick to my mallows?

#8 IR4J

IR4J

Perch

• Active Members
  • 884 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 12:23 PM

Please don't use the method I suggested...

#9 IR4J

IR4J

Perch

• Active Members
  • 884 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 12:23 PM

That doesnt surprise me that your friend caught one on a flipping jig... That method of steelheading is becoming popular in the mid west... 

#10 Rainbow

Rainbow

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 12:40 PM

I think I'd prefer that over marshmallows :P

#11 fishing89

fishing89

Perch

• Active Members
  • 582 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 12:43 PM

such a troll thread...

#12 Giuga10

Giuga10

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 02:57 PM

I have used marshmallows for trout, not drifting them though. When the bite was tough I would just find a very slow pool, set up the mallow so it would suspend mid water, and wait for a fish to strike, caught quite a few on this method.

People on this forum like to mess with people like you asking legitimate questions, they want to keep the "snagger" "flosser" "loogan" circle jerk alive, hence IR4J's comment. I find it quite immature and really annoying at this point, they act like they're the only ethical fisherman on the planet, everyone else is a "loogan" and unless your're centerpin or fly fishing and take a pic of the fish still in water you're the bad guy.

Anyways, hopefully you found my answer helpful, and sorry for the rant, just get used to this stuff around here and hopefully there are some nice enough guys to give you a legit answer.

BTW I've had good luck with the cheese flavored ones with the sparkles, bought em at Canadian Tire.  

#13 416fish

416fish

Sunfish

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 03:22 PM

People on this forum like to mess with people , they want to keep the "snagger" "flosser" "loogan" circle jerk alive. I find it quite immature and really annoying at this point, they act like they're the only ethical fisherman on the planet, everyone else is a "loogan" 

I'm glad you find it immature, I remember last year, you were accusing people in a thread of those things.  Obviously everyone has a right to an opinion about the issue, but flossing and snagging can definitely happen in slow pools with short leaders and unintentionally.  What's considered intentional and unintentional is the grey area that causes the salmonid drama lol

But as far as mallows go, it CAN be used unethically (to those who find certain techniques unethical) but fish definitely respond to them.  Caught a bunch of rainbows at Glen Haffy on all sorts of mallows with people using the basic/classic white/red bobber rig.  So one can assume that fish DO feed on mallows 

#14 cptpronin

cptpronin

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 04:28 PM

People on this forum like to mess with people like you asking legitimate questions, they want to keep the "snagger" "flosser" "loogan" circle jerk alive, hence IR4J's comment. I find it quite immature and really annoying at this point, they act like they're the only ethical fisherman on the planet, everyone else is a "loogan" and unless your're centerpin or fly fishing and take a pic of the fish still in water you're the bad guy.

^

lol @ circle jerk

Agreed.  Some people really need to get over themselves.  But lets cut young IR4J a break.  He still has to walk around the block a few more times before he learns what it means to be a mature adult.

#15 fishing89

fishing89

Perch

• Active Members
  • 582 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 04:54 PM

I agree with not being immature and giving BS advice....but I honestly think this original question and thread was pure troll bs.

#16 FISHIN'king

FISHIN'king

Sunfish

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 04:59 PM

Ya the mikes isn't good, it falls off the hook easy and trout and salmon don't get pulled to it like they do with roe and beads

#17 416fish

416fish

Sunfish

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 07:21 PM

I agree with not being immature and giving BS advice....

remember when certain people would go on and on about maple syrup flavored spoons on fly rods with no tippets?  LOL  

#18 Shmogley

Shmogley

Luck is one of my skills!

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 08:33 PM

srs?

HAWLIN SLABS ALL DAY ON THE GLO BRO

#19 IR4J

IR4J

Perch

• Active Members
  • 884 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 11:14 PM

Im alright with taking flak for that, but at the end of the day Im not taking back my comment. If immaturity is based off of sarcastic comments then I am extremely immature. 

What bothers me is the number of new posters, and countless salmon/steelhead threads that all have a wealth of information if you take the time to read them. Everyone is look for quick answers and quicker fish.

Matt

#20 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 03:52 PM

Im alright with taking flak for that, but at the end of the day Im not taking back my comment. If immaturity is based off of sarcastic comments then I am extremely immature. 

What bothers me is the number of new posters, and countless salmon/steelhead threads that all have a wealth of information if you take the time to read them. Everyone is look for quick answers and quicker fish.

Matt

This is why I think we need some rules for these sub forums, like 100 postsbare needed to view and post.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: trout, salmon, steelhead, glo mallows, how to catch