Photo

How many of you don't take pics of your catches? Or how big does fish have to be for you to take a pic?

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 rhymobot

rhymobot

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 03:56 PM

Couple days ago I was at a trib. I talked to a guy there with his two buddies and they said they had been there two hours already drifting into the pool.

Just as I was leaving after about an hour, he hooked on to a chinook. He fought it for about 7 minutes and he was all smiles when he finally landed it. He then promptly released it without any pic.

All anglers have different personalities and being the picture happy guy I am, no way I'm letting a nice fish go without a pic after all that work and effort! I like to proudly display my "trophy" by email to my few fishing buddies. And a few years down the road I like to have that pic to look back on to go with my good memories.

For some guys, the experience is enough without the visual documentation. I work with a guy who doesn't even own a camera and doesn't take pics with his phone when he goes away on vacation to far flung places. He's got all the images he needs stored in his head.

I saw the same thing in the spring when a couple of guys were nailing steelie after steelie in the two hours I was there. It was like they were so used to catching them that the novelty has worn off and there was no need for pictures. But then again they were excited after each catch.

One of my fishing buddies doesn't take a pic unless the LMB or SMB are 3+ lbs. Or the pike is 30+ inches.

I've been fishing for about 7 years and I literally have a picture of every fish I have ever caught over 1.25 lbs. Except for the very first salmon. My camera lens happened to die that very moment I turned it on even though it was working perfectly fine on a road trip a week earlier.

#2 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 04:13 PM

I take pics of bass over 3lbs, catfish over 15, and salmon and trout I take a pic of most of them because they have really eluded me (and still do)

#3 PUMP KNOWS

PUMP KNOWS

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 04:16 PM

I stopped taking a pic of every fish I catch, I'm mostly concerned of releasing the fish right away.

But I'll take a pick of a fish if it's pic worthy.

#4 416fish

416fish

Sunfish

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 04:27 PM

I didn't take pics for 15+ years until I started looking for sponsors and wanted to show off to all the people of facebook lol.  For new species I usually take some pics but after that, only trophy fish get pics.  (ie.  first 12 salmon I caught I took pics of, after that, only the perfect chrome ones).  If I took pics of all my catches, I'd have literally thousands of pictures to go through per year.  

A bunch of my friends have decent SLR cameras and I love the art that they can capture.  Id take more pics too if I had a decent camera

#5 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 04:57 PM

Rarely pics now. How many pics of sub 10lb steel do you need. Get over 31/32 inches now thats a fish

#6 Paul1913

Paul1913

Perch

• Active Members
  • 592 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 05:02 PM

I stopped taking a pic of every fish I catch, I'm mostly concerned of releasing the fish right away.

But I'll take a pick of a fish if it's pic worthy.

No pics but you take vids

#7 IR4J

IR4J

Perch

• Active Members
  • 884 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 05:06 PM

Really depends, I like to get at least one picture of a fish per trip. Ive started using a wading net so I can keep the fish in the water as we are preparing for the picture, keep them in the water, quick picture then see you later.

#8 Brian

Brian

Perch

• Active Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 05:09 PM

After a while all the pics look the same...

I don't take nearly as much pics as I did when I just started fishing.

#9 Shmogley

Shmogley

Luck is one of my skills!

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 05:14 PM

After a while all the pics look the same...

I don't take nearly as much pics as I did when I just started fishing.

this

most times unless im planning a full day i dont even bring a camera.

but sometimes when i dont bring the camera and i catch a  nice fish i am kicking myself ;)

#10 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 05:25 PM

No pics but you take vids

Good thing is when you have a gopro on your chest not only does it capture the whole fight but you can hold the fish infront of you for literally 2 seconds and get it back in the water, no goofing around. Also you don't need someone else to take the pic.

#11 PUMP KNOWS

PUMP KNOWS

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 05:29 PM

haha

giphy.gif

#12 Bow Man

Bow Man

Smallmouth Bass

• Banned
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 05:31 PM

Rarely, take pics but if i do i tend to only take pics of the fish not myself.

#13 Paul1913

Paul1913

Perch

• Active Members
  • 592 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 05:32 PM

Very true Catfish. I need to catch more fish to get me one. I have a decent DSLR but it's bulky to bring on options

#14 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 05:45 PM

Very true Catfish. I need to catch more fish to get me one. I have a decent DSLR but it's bulky to bring on options

I just use my phone for pics, interested in a gopro though, maybe one day.

#15 Paul1913

Paul1913

Perch

• Active Members
  • 592 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 06:02 PM

You see the price of the new ones.... 500$$..

#16 Bow Man

Bow Man

Smallmouth Bass

• Banned
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 06:25 PM

You see the price of the new ones.... 500$$..

I have looked into them but can not justify that expense, would rather buy more gear... :).

#17 staffman

staffman

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 06:56 PM

I've never got into picture taking while fishing. I'd likely fall and destroy the camera.

#18 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 07:36 PM

Depends where, what and when.  I like to document my adventures especially if travelling to new places.  Sometimes I feel I need new material and will take pictures of even the smallest fish.  I'm a photo fiend however lots of fish don't get their mug shots taken - lot of scenery shots these days.

#19 bass0416

bass0416

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 08:02 PM

With the addition of a GoPro I don't even bring a camera with me anymore. I would much rather have video footage of fish caught then have one picture. That being said, im very glad I carried a camera for years because I got a pic of an absolute pig of a steelhead that I highly doubt I will ever beat.

#20 Paul1913

Paul1913

Perch

• Active Members
  • 592 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 08:39 PM

My phone takes pretty good pixs of the fish. And I take pics of most..