• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Spicoli

Spicoli

Earthworm

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 06:39 PM

My friend caught this fish and sent me this text saying "walleye".  I can usually tell the difference but I can kind of see why he thinks it's a walleye because of the way the head looks.  But to me, the colours look like a pike.  Can someone please give me a positive id?  I'm almost positive this is a pike.

Attached Images

• download_20141013_181115.jpeg

#2 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 06:42 PM

Pike

#3 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 06:42 PM

100% pike

#4 Spicoli

Spicoli

Earthworm

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 06:50 PM

haha you're not going to believe this but he sent me a picture before that of an actual walleye but I didn't notice.  It just said walley with a picture of a pike afterwards.  Feel dumb now.   :mrgreen:

Attached Images

• download_20141013_184734.jpeg

#5 Spicoli

Spicoli

Earthworm

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 06:54 PM

by the way, anybody find that live bait works so much better than anything else?  I went to place about an hour outside Ottawa a couple weeks ago and I was fishing with plastics while my buddy was fishing with minnows.  I wasn't catching much while he pulled in a couple pike, bass, perch.. around 6 nice fish before lunch.  I went and bought some medium sized minnows during lunch and came back for the rest of the day and the fish were hitting on it like crazy.

Just two hooks, a sinker and minnow on each hook.  It was insane how much they went for it.  You put in a plastic, jig n pig, texas rig in the same spot and nothing at all. 

#6 PUMP KNOWS

PUMP KNOWS

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 07:35 PM

Live bait

#7 dundasbass

dundasbass

Earthworm

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 09:28 PM

Live bait for sure. There is a spot I fish regularly in the summer for largemouth bass, usually from 8 to 11 in the morning. I used to use lures or worms, but this summer I switched to minnows and will never go back. Lures would get me 3 or 4 fish on a good morning. Worms would get me more, but those bass would be smaller (6 to 8 inch range). With a minnow on a weedless hook (no sinker or float), an average morning would result in a dozen bass landed, and a few more lost, with most being at least 12 inches long. Most times I would bring 2 dozen minnows and run out before 3 hours had passed.

#8 alwayscatching

alwayscatching

Smallmouth Bass

• Moderators
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 12:19 AM

Thats actually a sauger no?

#9 tuhlapsss

tuhlapsss

Sunfish

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 02:47 AM

Thats actually a sauger no?

Thats what I was also thinking

#10 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 12:54 PM

yea, sauger, and i don't think i've ever seen anyone use dental floss for fishing line before..........just looking how thick and white the line is

#11 christotheashto

christotheashto

Sunfish

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 01:10 PM

yea, sauger, and i don't think i've ever seen anyone use dental floss for fishing line before..........just looking how thick and white the line is

just looks like braid to me.

#12 cptpronin

cptpronin

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 01:18 PM

Chain pickerel in the first pic -- very sure of it (member of the Pike family).  Sauger for sure in the second.

Somebody is fishing further east by the looks of it.

Live bait rigs are $$$ and a hassel, but if you're making the trip out of town, why not.  On a good day, the right lure for the conditions will work just as good, but if anybody is willing to put up with the hassel of minnow buckets, airation, pickup up the bait, disposing of the bait, they are almost guarenteed fish in shitty conditions.

Scond pick is just braided line and what looks like a pretty standard tandem/pickeral rig.

Congratulations to your friend.  That is a dandy of chain pickeral.

#13 christotheashto

christotheashto

Sunfish

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 01:46 PM

First pic isn't a chain pickerel. It's most definitely, 100% a pike. Look at the markings and the colours. Chain pickerel have a black line that runs from the top of their eye to the end of their jawline. Also chain pickerel are more yellow-ish in colour, and typically you would be hard pressed to find one of that size. This is very clearly a northern pike. More green-ish in colour, white belly, no black line. Easy ID.

#14 rhymobot

rhymobot

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 04:10 PM

looks like pike to me. caught a bunch of chain picks in NJ and NY in May. definitely similar but easier to distinguish than between a walleye and sauger and zander.

with all this talk of live bait, i'm starting to think i should give that a try. i like fishing bass in cover and structure so i stick with the senkos but in more open water i should probably give this live bait thing a go of it.

#15 Symmetre

Symmetre

Sunfish

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 04:52 PM

Chain pickerel in the first pic -- very sure of it (member of the Pike family).  Sauger for sure in the second.

Somebody is fishing further east by the looks of it.

Live bait rigs are $$$ and a hassel, but if you're making the trip out of town, why not.  On a good day, the right lure for the conditions will work just as good, but if anybody is willing to put up with the hassel of minnow buckets, airation, pickup up the bait, disposing of the bait, they are almost guarenteed fish in shitty conditions.

Scond pick is just braided line and what looks like a pretty standard tandem/pickeral rig.

Congratulations to your friend.  That is a dandy of chain pickeral.

The first fish is not a chain pickerel. It doesn't even look like one - chain pickerel have dark marks on a light body, while pike have light marks on a dark body. Here is a comparison: http://www.penrodsgu...pickerelBN.html

Second fish does look like a sauger.

#16 fishfreek

fishfreek

Perch

• Active Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 05:53 PM

Pike and Sauger, there is no comparison when a pike or bass smash a crank or buzz bait .Live bait ( worm leech and minnow ) when jigging off bottom for walleye.

#17 cptpronin

cptpronin

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 08:26 PM

The first fish is not a chain pickerel. It doesn't even look like one - chain pickerel have dark marks on a light body, while pike have light marks on a dark body. Here is a comparison: http://www.penrodsgu...pickerelBN.html

Second fish does look like a sauger.

Damnit, thought I had that one.

Congratulations on your first post.

#18 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 08:28 PM

just looks like braid to me.

hmmm i've never seen white braid, and never anything that thick tbh

#19 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 08:41 PM

hmmm i've never seen white braid, and never anything that thick tbh

Berkley nanofil is white, don't think they have it in 2000lb test though.

#20 Christopher K

Christopher K

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 995 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 08:57 PM

That looks to be 15-20lb fireline or suffix 832. The first pic is certainly a pike, apart from the obvious markings chain pickerel almost never grow to that size. The second pic is a sauger. And to the artificials, yes if you're willing to sit on one spot all day bait can out fish plastics but take some time to learn to fish plastics, jigs or flies and you can cover much more water and not waste so much time on dead water.