6 replies to this topic

#1 Lotro

Lotro

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 07:20 PM

Hey Folks,

Normally around this time of year I head up to the camp in the Sudbury area and fish for a week in the rain and yucky weather, but life isn't going to allow me to do that this year so I'm hoping you can help me out.

I want to take a day fishing trip from Toronto. I'll get up early, drive somewhere, rent a boat and fish for the day and come home.

The question is: where should I go?

I was thinking Bay of Quinte, but I don't know if that's really manageable for an amateur fisherman in a day.

Thanks for your feedback.

#2 Shawarma

Shawarma

Perch

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 08:05 PM

I rented a boat on Little Lake at Cedar park campgrounds in Barrie... just by Lake Simcoe. Pike and bass fishing.. it was fun. $75 if i recall correctly for all day fishing.. gas included. Plus they open at like 5:30 in the morning so you really get a full day. Not far from Toronto either. 

#3 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 08:21 PM

i would say if you aren't experienced on big water, don't go out on lake o by yourself, things can get dicey in a hurry, 1ft waves for every 10km/h wind speed is a general rule of thumb.  waves from one direction aren't a huge problem, its when the wind chances directions and you that chop from 2 different directions that things get hairy!

rice lake would pretty good, balsam, simcoe(again be careful on this one as well)  scugog

#4 Lotro

Lotro

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 09:07 PM

Thanks Shawarma, and FrequentFlyer. I too am leery of big water. Any reccomendations for boat rentals on Rice, or Balsam?

#5 buck

buck

Perch

• Active Members
  • 867 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 11:29 PM

Many boat rental places put the boats away on Thanksgiving weekend so call ahead and good luck

#6 christotheashto

christotheashto

Sunfish

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 12:29 PM

I second Little Lake here in Barrie. Nice people, very reasonable prices, few different options for boats (aluminum, pontoon, etc.) and the lake is easy to fish and holds lots of small to medium size pike, crappie, and buckets.

#7 Default_User

Default_User

Sunfish

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 07:56 PM

Many boat rental places put the boats away on Thanksgiving weekend so call ahead and good luck

+1

I was up by Stony a week or two ago and tge locals were getting their boats out of the water / winterizing