Photo

Tell me why your wading boots are awesome. Or, aren't.

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 GoodenTight

GoodenTight

Steelhead Master

• Active Members
  • 995 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 12:54 PM

Well, my white rivers(I think? Bass pro brand)  that I pounded kilometers and kilometers of sand, rock, dirt, water, ice.. finally blew up on me this weekend (after a solid 3 full seasons, I am going with 250 days - more than happy with the life of them)...... and where else but down the gorge in the Niagara...... thankfully my buddy had a roll of tape and i jimmie rigged em up to get me back up the escarpment. Chucked em out, they were toast. Entire sole on one completely ripped and removed from the top half of the boot. I would have been walking on my wading sock.

Anyway, so time to replace. Tell me what you have and a short review of pros - cons. I know this much, I do way to much variations in fishing that I do not want felt. I cover all types of terrain.

Thanks

#2 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 01:17 PM

May they rest in peace.

I've got a pair of SIMMS for 3 years now - paid something like 140 for them.  I use them for hiking sometimes.  They've been through a lot and still look pretty new - only thing mangled on them are the laces.  Don't get felt or the Boa lacing system. 

#3 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 01:20 PM

korkers, interchangeable treads, rubber, felt, studded rubber, studded felt, extremely comfortable, light weight, the redsides have a quick tie lace system, where higher end have the boa wire lace system.  so far mine have lasted me 3 seasons and zero complaints about them.

only thing is don't change the soles while the boots are cold, change at room temp other wise the plastic on the interchangeable sole will crack

#4 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 01:27 PM

I'm more a simple man myself - the less moving parts the better.  Laces for life! 

#5 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 01:32 PM

i've got the korkers redside, they have laces with a locking quick tie, so just pull tight and slide the push button lock down, no bow ties

#6 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 01:38 PM

I have a year on my Patagonia rock grips and they look like new still after like 50 outings. Found them on kijiji last year 80 bucks bnib!

#7 DaveC

DaveC

Sunfish

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 02:06 PM

I have a year on my Patagonia rock grips and they look like new still after like 50 outings. Found them on kijiji last year 80 bucks bnib!

How do those boots fit? Thats my next pair they are on sale right now for $118. My g3 guides are great boots size 12 but too small... should have bought a 13. Are those rock grips good for my wide duck feet? My last pair was korker chromes....complete junk and fell apart. I love patagonia products....thier whole line up is built with quality in mind.

#8 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 02:30 PM

Ya they are fairly wide. I wear a 12 or 13 shoe and i find the 13s a touch loose in the warmer months

#9 CJR

CJR

#RNS

• Active Members
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 02:49 PM

May they rest in peace.

I've got a pair of SIMMS for 3 years now - paid something like 140 for them.  I use them for hiking sometimes.  They've been through a lot and still look pretty new - only thing mangled on them are the laces.  Don't get felt or the Boa lacing system. 

I have the same pair.  Had to change the laces too and the studs a few times, but no other issues, still going strong.

#10 christotheashto

christotheashto

Sunfish

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 02:59 PM

How do those boots fit? Thats my next pair they are on sale right now for $118. My g3 guides are great boots size 12 but too small... should have bought a 13. Are those rock grips good for my wide duck feet? My last pair was korker chromes....complete junk and fell apart. I love patagonia products....thier whole line up is built with quality in mind.

Tell that to my buddy who's sent his patagonia waders in for repairs twice, in as many seasons, for a total of 13.5 weeks out-of-hand at a factory somewhere. they just seem to be poorly designed and leak from multiple seams when compared to Simms. They do, however, make great clothes that I love so I can't comment directly to the quality of boots specifically.

My personal recommendation - Korkers Redsides. They were affordable, and I've beat the crap out of them for the past 3 years. As others have said, the interchangeable soles are handy (even if just swapping out worn-out rubber treads for the same, but new), and the locking quick tie is great with frozen fingers. I second the suggestion to avoid the BOA lacing system. Nothing but trouble.

#11 Captain Barty

Captain Barty

Sunfish

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 03:07 PM

Picked up a pair of the Cabelas brand wading boots a little over a month ago now.  No issues with them so far and I've already put quite a few km's on them. Not sure about the super long hual but so far I'm happy for 80 bucks I think I paid.

#12 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 03:16 PM

Your buddy should make a call. Patagucci should have replaced them

#13 AKnook

AKnook

Perch

• Active Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 03:37 PM

I use Korkers with the Boa cable system.  I have had enough of frozen laces to justify never buying laces again.  This year I purchased the new Devil's canyon Korkers boot with boa cable system.  They are awesome.  Interchangeable soles, where I always keep on my studs and only change out to rubber sole when on the raft.  The cable system untightens very easily when removing the boots and what I like the best is that these boots are extremely easy to put on.  When they dry after use they do not harden.  I can put them on with one foot and no help with my hands.  Then all I do is adjust the boa laces.  They have taken a beating already and look brand new.  If I were to use any boots it would be Korkers or simms as they last forever. 

#14 IR4J

IR4J

Perch

• Active Members
  • 884 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 03:59 PM

I have simms guides that I wear in the winter and loop wading boots that I wear in the summer. I like both but I prefer the loops, they are a simple well built boot. The only issue is that they are felt soles which is why I dont wear them year round. The simms guides are nice but the newer model has plastic grommets on the bottom 3 lace holes, wasnt an issue for me as I have the older style but I have heard of them blowing.. I have 3 years on my loops and 2 on my simms

#15 classic drifter

classic drifter

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 04:04 PM

i use the simms vapor boots! i love em! mostly cause of the looks and IMO its lighter than the full leather models, ive done a good spring and fall and still going on em, highly recommend this boot to anyone. plus like most boots you can jam them with some hardbite studs for some winter fishing

#16 BC dreamin

BC dreamin

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 04:16 PM

Can't go wrong with the Simms Guides with Vibram soles and studs/cleats. The only surface they don't grip on well is mud/silt.

Not cheap, but very comfortable, and last.

I've used them for many years and they just continue to get better. The latest models are lighter, taller, and have more room in the toe box than the previous models. This helps to improve circulation of blood in the foot, and keeps your feet warmer in cold water. 

I wear two sizes larger than my actual foot size, for maximum toe room in the winter.

#17 Shmogley

Shmogley

Luck is one of my skills!

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 08:49 PM

i got the simms vapor or w/e with the vibram soles. awesome boots and weightless in water(they feel very slightly buoyant wich takes a load off your legs over a whole day)

i walk like a tornado and bash/scrape my boots on all kinds of crap and bushwacking and they havent even shown as much as a frayed stitch

also having tried felt, rubber, spikes i can easily say the vibram rubber sole is my favourite. grips on all surfaces even slick smooth rocks that i see guys slipping on like ice i walk through surefooted. and it walks on land just as well

im also for the idea that the less moving parts the better. i dont mind tying my laces and actually prefer it. ive had the clickers and a few buddies with them but they all had problems of one kind or another..

and honestly its not hard to lace up before you go fishing. the only time i appreciated the clickers was when i was going for an hour or less quickfish after work. and thats very rare. usually its at least a few hours and tying laces takes less then a minute.

my 2 cents

#18 DaveC

DaveC

Sunfish

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 09:28 PM

Tell that to my buddy who's sent his patagonia waders in for repairs twice, in as many seasons, for a total of 13.5 weeks out-of-hand at a factory somewhere. they just seem to be poorly designed and leak from multiple seams when compared to Simms. They do, however, make great clothes that I love so I can't comment directly to the quality of boots specifically.

My personal recommendation - Korkers Redsides. They were affordable, and I've beat the crap out of them for the past 3 years. As others have said, the interchangeable soles are handy (even if just swapping out worn-out rubber treads for the same, but new), and the locking quick tie is great with frozen fingers. I second the suggestion to avoid the BOA lacing system. Nothing but trouble.

9 year old patagonias sent in $350 gift card returned. Rio gallegos have welded seams bud....rarely rarely leak. Patagonia repairs or replaces lifetime...no questions asked. My wifes new headwaters used like 4 times already have bootfoot seperating. Simms boots are great...give credit for that. But lots of guys i fish with have simms with pin hole leak problems.

#19 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 11:39 PM

9 year old patagonias sent in $350 gift card returned. Rio gallegos have welded seams bud....rarely rarely leak. Patagonia repairs or replaces lifetime...no questions asked. My wifes new headwaters used like 4 times already have bootfoot seperating. Simms boots are great...give credit for that. But lots of guys i fish with have simms with pin hole leak problems.

i think leaky boots aren't really an issue with wading boots tbh lol  now if its the stockings on the waders that leak.....well then thats a problem

#20 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 11:58 PM

Hes talking waders