• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 coldfeet

coldfeet

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 354 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 08:16 PM

Was pleasantly surprised the other day by the MNR, first one I've seen in like 20 years. Popped out of nowhere and they were doing a survey, target species,how many I caught, did I see any being caught, method I used, how many hours I would be fishing, and interesting question, not sure of the relevance but where I parked and accessed the river. We ended up talking about spey casting for 1/2 an hour and I gave him a fly. I asked if they would be on the river more, he said yes so let's hope enforcement is out and about as well.

#2 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 08:20 PM

Good to hear. I have yet to see one in my travels. Heard there's one CO to cover all of niagara...

#3 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 08:31 PM

Refreshing to see them around

#4 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 08:42 PM

Awesome!  I haven't seen one since April

#5 Shawarma

Shawarma

Perch

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 08:48 PM

Saw a similar guy come up to us during the outting with the clipboard. First thing i thought of was "fak.. where is my license?" 

#6 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 08:55 PM

Did they ask for it?

#7 Shmogley

Shmogley

Luck is one of my skills!

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 09:12 PM

no, no licenses looked at with these guys they just seem interested in gathering data on habits

#8 alwayscatching

alwayscatching

Smallmouth Bass

• Moderators
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 09:39 PM

Im still trying to take the route of getting into the MNR. It is really tough even with some of the connections I have. Hopefully they will receive better budgeting in the future.

#9 salmotrutta

salmotrutta

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 10:11 PM

Sounds like a scam! Probably a meat hunter. 

J/K

But wouldn't that be a clever schtick. 

#10 IR4J

IR4J

Perch

• Active Members
  • 884 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 11:22 PM

Ive now been approached by the surveyors 3 times, on 3 different bodies of water. From what I have been told it is a mass collection of data to compare against stocking records for certain rivers. 

#11 Buzzkill

Buzzkill

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 10:45 AM

I have been surveyed twice this year. Seen about 3 people on a team going down both sides of the rivers trying to talk to everyone. Also seen about 10% of the people pack and an run away when they see them coming. Those people shouldn't be there anyway! haha. 

#12 Diana Danger

Diana Danger

Steel Bunny

• Active Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 10:58 AM

I have been surveyed twice this year. Seen about 3 people on a team going down both sides of the rivers trying to talk to everyone. Also seen about 10% of the people pack and an run away when they see them coming. Those people shouldn't be there anyway! haha. 

hahaha, thats hilarious!! 

#13 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 11:03 AM

Got interviewed yesterday. Cute chick btw. just asking what species have i caught & spotted. Not sure if she was the same chick that intereviewed me last year. I can't tell with the hat & glasses and she was on the other side of the river. I think they should add checking licenses on their duties as it deters those who don't have licenses.

#14 classic drifter

classic drifter

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 11:17 AM

been apprehended 3 times on 3 different bodies of water this year, twice when the run of salmon was heavy and once on bass opening day, good to see them around more often as it gives us assurance that most people will run and disappear from the river bank once they see green uniform with hats on, also fines were laid to those who take fish from the water the wrong way. and for those who take fish over their limit. but once i got apprehended by a CO in civilian clothes just leisurely walking around the side of the creek, as soon as some people heard him talk to me and ask for my license and ID for verification. i just see the herd of people disappear, LOL! but for wrongdoers they better be careful cause they are everywhere now and it could be the fellow beside them fishing also! 

#15 Paul1913

Paul1913

Perch

• Active Members
  • 592 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 11:24 AM

Good to see them out.

#16 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 05:12 PM

been apprehended 3 times on 3 different bodies of water this year, twice when the run of salmon was heavy and once on bass opening day, good to see them around more often as it gives us assurance that most people will run and disappear from the river bank once they see green uniform with hats on, also fines were laid to those who take fish from the water the wrong way. and for those who take fish over their limit. but once i got apprehended by a CO in civilian clothes just leisurely walking around the side of the creek, as soon as some people heard him talk to me and ask for my license and ID for verification. i just see the herd of people disappear, LOL! but for wrongdoers they better be careful cause they are everywhere now and it could be the fellow beside them fishing also! 

think you mean approached and not apprehended which means arrested

#17 Paul1913

Paul1913

Perch

• Active Members
  • 592 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 06:10 PM

I'll bet $ iPhone autocorrect

#18 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 08:15 PM

I'll bet $ iPhone autocorrect

haha possibly, tis why i don't use my phone for forums!

#19 RiverRuns

RiverRuns

Sunfish

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 08:20 PM

Also been approached by them twice this year. Actually, left my waist pack on the bank one time, they picked it up, and gave it back when I returned in a panic. They're great for clearing the bank, as Buzzkill mentioned. They should hang around more!

#20 classic drifter

classic drifter

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 08:49 PM

no brother its my poor english interpretation, i thought apprehended means like the usual MO check licenses, paperwork, insurance, how much fish there was in the vessel or you did keep for the day stuff like that. I didnt know it meant being arrested of some sort. My bad for creating this confusion