• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 rayray519

rayray519

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 09:50 AM

Does anyone have advice as to what color of beads to use based on water (clear, low, slightly stained, etc).

Thanks!

#2 Acespdz

Acespdz

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 12:09 PM

I've always had luck with Natual colour blooddot bead.  I use it in clear and lightly stained water. Also snow beads work well in the same conditions.  In dirty water a glow bead or bright coloured ones have proven successful for me in the past.  Hope this help. 

#3 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 05:37 PM

10 mm chartreuse for choco milk, 10 and 8 mm natural roe and have a few beads that imitate fresh dead and washed dead. After eggs are in the water for a while they turn paler, then after even longer they are white.

#4 balt0

balt0

Sunfish

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 05:38 PM

Cotton candy works good during the day.  Chartreuse in the morning.

#5 fishfearme

fishfearme

Sunfish

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 05:45 PM

Rule number 1 when it comes to bead cooler: Solid color beads when it's cloudy or the water is dirty; translucent beads in clear water or when it's sunny. Some guys, myself included like a match the hatch approach. Early fall when the salmon eggs steelhead feed on are fresh they are bright, usually variations of orange or yellow. As the fall goes on these eggs begin to 'white out' and gradually become lighter. By December I'm typically running various peach and white colors. Keep in mind that at any given time there will be eggs at different stages and colors in the river, and fertilized eggs turn different than unfertilized eggs. Don't count out oddball colors though as I've had tremendous luck with variations of blues and purples as well as chartreuse. Seems complicated now that I read it, but the best thing to do is experiment and find what works best for you. I have a dozen bead boxes full of hundreds of different colors, all of which have caught me fish at some point

#6 LordMykiss

LordMykiss

Perch

• Active Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 05:58 PM

buy these colours and you will be set for anything buy them in 6, 8, 10.

troutbeads brand go with;

chartreuse, glow roe, cotton candy, peach fuzz and maybe a mottled white.

centerpinangling brand go with

tangarine, ny cheese. iridescent orange, salmon bloodine.

essentially you want to have one pink, one orange, one peach, one white and one yellow, of clear and solid colour variety to cover all basis.

if you had to pick two beads, glow roe and cottoncandy/peach fuzz will always catch you fish, unless conditions really needs specific colour.

#7 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 05:30 PM

most recently i've been hooked on the UV marketing gimmick. Ive almost exclusively been running the Atomic Orange UV and the Chartreuse UV. Last year it was all about the Glo Roe for me, I don't think it really matters to be honest. Just find something you are confident in.

#8 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 07:26 PM

nado has it. Bows are dumb. Guys will be hitting on pink8s while you're doing well on 10mm chartreuse

#9 DaveC

DaveC

Sunfish

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 12:20 PM

I stepped on the stomach of a dead boot laying in shallow water just to see if it had expelled its eggs...guess what came out?? Blue/White eggs. Always wondered why blue works at times.

#10 Float_On

Float_On

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 387 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 01:18 AM

Steeliebeads 10mm tangerine/chartreuse in a bit of stain. Or 8mm tangerine in the gin.

Big water I run tandem with those beads or mix it up. If nothing's happening throw a pinky in the mix.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: beads, water