• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Slobbergirl23

Slobbergirl23

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 09:41 AM

So my boyfriend has gotten really into river fishing in the last year and I go out with him pretty often. I enjoy it, but ice fishing is my thing. Anyways, I just can't get the hang of it! My float goes down the river an I watch it but never know if it's the water pulling it under, the bottom or a fish! And if I pull too hard my roe comes off! I asked my boyfriend what I'm looking for and he says "the float just does something different" now I trust his opinion because he's an awesome fisher and had lots of luck but for someone who has no idea what there doing, that is not very descriptive! Help? (I figure I'd ask here rather than him for the fifth time, love you babe ;)

#2 Diana Danger

Diana Danger

Steel Bunny

• Active Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 11:22 AM

Sounds like maybe you're line is running too deep for the area you are fishing.  If youre drifting at the right depth, your float will gracefully glide down the river.   If your float slowly goes under the water, its probably just catching bottom or a piece of structure.  What you're looking for is a quick strike and your float to shoot down...thats a bite...set that hoook!

#3 GuitarBuildingAngler

GuitarBuildingAngler

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 12:19 PM

Depending on the area you fish, you need to constantly adjust the depth of the float. Different hole, different depth. Play with it until you get the results FisherGirl was speaking of.

Do keep in mind though, sometimes steelhead take bait very lightly. I have had my indicator slowly go under, thinking I was dragging bottom. To avoid snagging a stick or something, I would then lightly pull the indicator back out, only to have a poorly hooked steelhead shoot up the river. Of course, 9 times out of 10, that's a lost fish (for me at least).

#4 flandogg

flandogg

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 12:53 PM

To add to Fishergirl and GuitarBuildingAngler's float adjustments, I found that steelhead hit the bait differently depending on their mood, and sometimes you just can't tell until you set the hook. I've had steelhead inhale my bait, and the float is sucked right under in a flash. Other times when the fish are shy, I will see the slightest 'tap' or wiggle on the float.

What I do to zone in on the hits a little better and flush out the guessing game is to pay close attention to what the float does the first few drifts going down the section of the river you are fishing. You'll notice a 'pattern' of how the float will behave/move as its going down the river. Once I figure that out, then I use that as a base. Any differences (even the smallest change) and I will set the hook. While I am establishing the base case, I won't be afraid to set the hook if I think there is a remote chance of a hit.

#5 Shmogley

Shmogley

Luck is one of my skills!

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 01:26 PM

, I found that steelhead hit the bait differently depending on their mood, and sometimes you just can't tell until you set the hook. I've had steelhead inhale my bait, and the float is sucked right under in a flash. Other times when the fish are shy, I will see the slightest 'tap' or wiggle on the float.

^this

cant stress this enough but when your boy tells you "if the float does something different" he means just that.

sometimes my floats appears to slow down i set the hook its a fish. a little wiggle even a slow drop that looks like its dragging bottom has been a fish the odd time. basically if it does anything awkward against where the current should take it, your best bet is to set the hook. not so hard that your gear all comes shooting back at you but enough to lift the float a bit at least..

now if this is happening every single drift where the float gets dragged down, you need to shorten your line under the float. once every 5-10 drifts your probably in a good depth and just keep at it ;)

#6 GoodenTight

GoodenTight

Steelhead Master

• Active Members
  • 995 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 01:43 PM

hook sets are free.

#7 butterstick

butterstick

Earthworm

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 02:04 PM

lol.

#8 GoodenTight

GoodenTight

Steelhead Master

• Active Members
  • 995 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 02:18 PM

there he is.

#9 Rainbow

Rainbow

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 03:12 PM

remy?

#10 GoodenTight

GoodenTight

Steelhead Master

• Active Members
  • 995 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 03:50 PM

yep. the elusive schnipster coming out of lurk mode

#11 Rainbow

Rainbow

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 04:07 PM

haha I guess it was only a matter of time.

#12 butterstick

butterstick

Earthworm

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 04:21 PM

gotta drop a line once in a while--i didnt know lurking was taboo.

#13 Slobbergirl23

Slobbergirl23

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 04:29 PM

Thanks guys! Hopefully this all helps! Getting frustrated!

#14 Nick Mckenzie

Nick Mckenzie

Sunfish

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 04:53 PM

Low numbers in the river don't help either slobber :P

#15 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 05:42 PM

Hook sets are free until your rig gets stuck in the tree behind you lol. Make sure the tip of your float is always point alittle upstream, this means your bait is drifting infront of the shots, which means the fish see your bait first. You can hold you rig back at the beginning of the drift and then let go to make sure this happens. If your float is going nicely but the tip turns to face downstream, then your on or dragging along bottom.

I get out fishing once a week fishing this time or year, so I'm not willing to lose fish from crappy hooksets. So when I set the hook, I'm rippin lips and practically falling over. If you have a stiffer rod then you don't need to risk pulling a muscle in your arm on a hook set.

#16 Slobbergirl23

Slobbergirl23

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 06:06 PM

Haha this is true babe! ;) and thanks catfish for great advice!

#17 LordMykiss

LordMykiss

Perch

• Active Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 07:53 PM

I am not going to repeat what everyone else says, they pretty much explained the main reasons. assuming you have taken their advice and you are still running into you problem, then you might possibly have over loaded your floats weight. if your float says 5 grams and you go higher, your float becomes over sensitive and goes down almost for any reason even a slightest of bumps, not the entire hole is made of the exact same structure. not sure what float you use, but smaller rivers 5grams is good. lighter is good if your line is super thin, other wise it can come out of the right path if you move your rod and you can't mend it properly.  also read water, if you see those swirls, they tend to take floats down.

#18 Slobbergirl23

Slobbergirl23

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 09:21 PM

Ok perfect thanks!!

#19 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 11:13 PM

Don't forget to use pink worms

#20 Shmogley

Shmogley

Luck is one of my skills!

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 12:50 AM

you might possibly have over loaded your floats weight.

this is a great point too. see this a lot more then should