• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 ChromeAddict

ChromeAddict

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 03:30 PM

I recently got a 10'6 st Croix Avid steelhead rod, and currrently have a spinning reel on it, but i was wondering if i could put a centerpin reel on it, so i don't have to buy a rod for it. I normally fish fairly small creeks with floats and spawn bags. Thanks for all the help guys, i hope it pays off this spring.

#2 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 06:26 PM

Should work fine !

#3 staffman

staffman

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 07:52 PM

^ Agreed !

#4 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 08:23 PM

will definitely work. i use my pin on a 9'6" rod on a smaller creek.

#5 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 08:40 PM

you can put one on any rod you like, although it wouldn't too well on a baitcasting rod.  some people of even put them on ice fishing rods, and i know of at least one guy who has cast spoons off of piers with one

#6 ChromeAddict

ChromeAddict

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 08:56 PM

Thanks for the help guys

you can put one on any rod you like, although it wouldn't too well on a baitcasting rod.  some people of even put them on ice fishing rods, and i know of at least one guy who has cast spoons off of piers with one

I'm curious, how would you retrieve a spoon with a centerpin reel? Do you strip the line in like a fly rod, or turn the reel?

#7 PUMP KNOWS

PUMP KNOWS

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 09:16 PM

^^^

Turn the reel.

How's the 10'6 Avid?  Do you only use it on small creeks drifting roe bags?

Have you tried chucking spoons at the piers with it?

#8 ChromeAddict

ChromeAddict

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 09:29 PM

I haven't used it a ton, but It is perfect for drifting stuff on smaller tribs. It will also cast spoons and plugs pretty good. I bought it off IR4J's recommendation for a spinning rod that could throw both plugs and floats. I have it paired with a Stradic 3000FJ and 8lb Trilene XL. One thing to be aware of is that this rod does not have as much flex as your typical float rod, so I am learning to do a lighter hookset to compensate for the faster action of the rod. The handle can also take some getting used to for some, as it has a big bulge on the foregrip, but once you get used to it, it is really comfortable to hold. Overall I really like the rod, and can't wait till spring to test it out on more big steelhead! The rod goes for 300 at SAIL, but I got it for two fifty on sale. I also played around with the 9'6 ML, and if I were looking for a rod specifically for spoon chucking for trout, that's probably what I would go with.

-CA

#9 PUMP KNOWS

PUMP KNOWS

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 09:41 PM

Gotcha

I'm looking to get a spoon chucking rod for salmon/bows and I was thinking a Avid 9'6 medium/fast.

I was using a Avid 7ft on the tribs for salmon using hardbaits and I can't believe I was bringing salmon in with my bass rod.

I love the Avid but my wallet doesn't.

#10 ChromeAddict

ChromeAddict

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 10:06 PM

9'6 M/F seems like a perfect fit for piers. If the Avid is too hard on the wallet, take a look at the St Croix Wild River series spinning rods. They have the same models as the Avid, but run for around 230. I love my Avids though. I have 2 other spinning rods (6'6 and 7') and they are great rods. Out of curiosity, what plugs do you normally use for salmon?

-CA

#11 ChromeAddict

ChromeAddict

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 10:07 PM

9'6 M/F seems like a perfect fit for piers. If the Avid is too hard on the wallet, take a look at the St Croix Wild River series spinning rods. They have the same models as the Avid, but run for around 230. I love my Avids though. I have 2 other spinning rods (6'6 and 7') and they are great rods. Out of curiosity, what plugs do you normally use for salmon?

EDIT: Sorry double post

-CA

#12 PUMP KNOWS

PUMP KNOWS

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 10:25 PM

I was using hot-n-tots, rapala j9/j11 and shallow diving crankbaits in the tribs.

On the piers, I got some Rapala j13's and Ratltraps that I wanna use.

This year I wanna see if I can get a top water bite on a jitterbug or a wake bait.

#13 PUMP KNOWS

PUMP KNOWS

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 10:26 PM

I was also thinking about matching a Avid 9'6 with a centerpin for carp.

#14 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 11:21 PM

this is the rod i use for piers, http://www.pinnaclef...spx#page=page-1

and it casts a mile!  has no problems handling big fish, hell, even handled a 40ft sail boat

#15 ChromeAddict

ChromeAddict

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 09:22 AM

I was using hot-n-tots, rapala j9/j11 and shallow diving crankbaits in the tribs.

On the piers, I got some Rapala j13's and Ratltraps that I wanna use.

This year I wanna see if I can get a top water bite on a jitterbug or a wake bait.

A top water bite in the tribs or on the pier would be epic!

I was also thinking about matching a Avid 9'6 with a centerpin for carp.

Carp on a pin sounds like a lot of fun.

#16 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 11:42 AM

casting spoons on piers using centerpin is a challenge but it can be done. the same with casting jerkbaits. But the real question is why? when it's so much easier to just use a spinning reel or baitcaster. I use my pin on short casts...that's when i'm sight fishing for pike & bass. And it helps when using 13ft rods. i do this without float and basically just drop stick baits in front of bass or pike.

#17 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 01:07 PM

Pin on everything - all day everyday.  Of course there are better/more effishient ways of going about certain types of fishin' but fighting fish on a reel with no drag makes the fight much more interesting.  Enjoy pin on that rod, you will have no problems using it with that rod on small streams, enjoy and watch out for overhanging tree limbs ;)

#18 ChasinTails

ChasinTails

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 03:29 PM

I use my raw 2 on my shimano convergence it works just fine 

#19 PUMP KNOWS

PUMP KNOWS

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 10:07 PM

this is the rod i use for piers, http://www.pinnaclef...spx#page=page-1

and it casts a mile!  has no problems handling big fish, hell, even handled a 40ft sail boat

I remember this..haha