• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 guzatron

guzatron

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 07:02 PM

Heading out to simcoe tmrw with a friend to break in my new shanty and hopefully get into some perch .. Only ever been out there once and it was 2 years ago and we rented a hut so we had transportation and bait included in our price. That being said I was hoping somebody on here could answer a few of my questions . Based on a little online searching I figure that gillford is my best bet for fishing and parking . Is there a place close to there to get minnows and what time would it be open at . Next I was wondering how far of a walk it is to get out there or is it possible to drive my small 2 seater truck on the ice ? I don't know the lake at all , but if it's anything like st clair on mitchells bay most huts and fisherman will be in the same general area so my plan was just to walk towards where the people are... And last question is how big of a bitch will it be too pop some holes with my hand auger . Any and all advice will be a great help for my buddy and I . Thanks

#2 BowSlayer

BowSlayer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 08:01 PM

Ice should be good to drive a small pickup out, don't take my word for it though, as for cooks bay being your best bet, depends on what you're after, if you want try simcoe jumbos, I'd hit hit Virginia beach, port bolster or Beaverton if you're up for the walk if I were you, much bigger fish, big pike and good quantity if you find a school. Gilford has minnows at youne and Gilford St and also at the convenience store on Guilford St. If you hit Virginia beach, there's a shop at the end of hadden road and parking on the ice, or drive out, (there's an ice road)

#3 guzatron

guzatron

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 09:49 PM

Ice should be good to drive a small pickup out, don't take my word for it though, as for cooks bay being your best bet, depends on what you're after, if you want try simcoe jumbos, I'd hit hit Virginia beach, port bolster or Beaverton if you're up for the walk if I were you, much bigger fish, big pike and good quantity if you find a school. Gilford has minnows at youne and Gilford St and also at the convenience store on Guilford St. If you hit Virginia beach, there's a shop at the end of hadden road and parking on the ice, or drive out, (there's an ice road)

how long of a walk from Hadden

#4 BowSlayer

BowSlayer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 09:55 PM

Depends on where the fish are that day, some days its a 2-3 km walk, other days all it takes is 500 m but that's where the jumbos are, don't get me wrong, there's jumbos in cooks but nowhere near the amount as the main lake, big jumbos prefer rocky structure and weed wedges, not just weeds like cooks has.

#5 BowSlayer

BowSlayer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 09:56 PM

You could drive on though, there's a road specifically for automobiles.

#6 guzatron

guzatron

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 05:28 PM

Ended up going to Hadden , was a pretty slow day but managed to get a few keepers and one nice fatty . Walked for about 30 min from the bait store so it wasn't too bad , ice was supper thick and it was tough to make holes with my Auger image.jpg