• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 TomToms

TomToms

Earthworm

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 01:51 PM

Hey everyone, I am looking for a good spot to spend a 4 day kayak/camp trip to fish. I was looking at going out to McCrae lake but form the sounds of it, it's been turned into a party lake and theres garbage etc everywhere. 

I am looking for something in that area, that is good for fishing, looking to kayak/hike in, set up camp and spend the remainder of the time kayaking a lake or river in search of good fish. 

Problem is I am having trouble finding anything around there that is well reviewed and remote and isn't jam packed full of a bunch of screaming teenagers on the weekend. 

Any ideas? I have no problem with a half-day or full day kayak in and some portages. 

#2 roughsquare

roughsquare

Sunfish

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 09:58 AM

Massasauga Provincial Park may nor be to far out.

#3 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 12:54 PM

Just a little north of that you have French River PP - canoe from campsite to campsite no portaging.  What species are you after?

#4 Alfiegee

Alfiegee

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 01:43 PM

Crow River in Algonquin is a good trip. Not sure how quickly it can be done. I always allotted 2 weeks but we fished and only paddled a little each day. Lots of good Brookies.
South River in NW Algonquin can also be good.
If you need someone to join you :)

Alfie.

#5 TomToms

TomToms

Earthworm

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 07:19 AM

@roughsquare: that park seems pretty good actually, do you have any experience there, as in what lakes might be the best to get a campsite at? Something preferably that is paddle only access? 

@troutaddicted: French river looks awesome, but it might be a little on the far side for me, that being said Im not gonna cross it off. Any good sections you could recommend? Also Fish wise, Im looking for anything really, Bass, Trout, Pike, walleye. Don't have too much interest in the smaller pan-fish or perch or catfish at all. 

@Alfiegee: So the fishing is good down Crow River? I have a friend who does a different section of Algonquin every year and claims the fishing sucks but I'm beginning to believe he doesn't know where to fish or what to use. 

#6 Knuguy

Knuguy

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 996 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 10:32 AM

Garbage at McCrae? That's not the bad part. Some folks crap all over and around their sites.

Re Mass---A big chunk of it is on G Bay. Even if you want to fish Spider, if you are in a kayak it's prob easier to access from G bay.

Re Crow---Been hoping/dreaming for years. When can we go? :razz:

#7 Liger

Liger

Sunfish

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 03:44 PM

The Parry Sound area has a good number of lakes to camp on and fish. afew off the top of my head are:

The G-Bay:

From Moon Basin there is the Mass park but there is crowned land up river thats nice, good pike and bass fishing, chance for walleye and of course the record muskie was caught in the area.

From 12 mile: good pike and bass, once you got out afew kms there is crown land

Go Home Lake: some crown land around it, but others also camp on the lake.

Ther are many others in the area but I do not feel like typing a 3 page list if you do not feel like coming up this way

#8 Alfiegee

Alfiegee

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 05:32 PM

Crow river has always treated me well except in years of low water, which I don't think will be the case this year. End of Apr or May are ideal.
I'd be down with setting up something. Altho not the norm, have caught 3+ Specks in years past.
The French is also nice. Have put in at Alba, renting a boat or canoe and camped on crown land. Pike, bass, musky and 'eyes. A little later in the year, like June or July. Went 4 years ago with a friend but we forgot a net. After losing 2 10 lb Pike, I said lets go back to the marina so I could buy a net. The $25 paid off.

Alfie.

#9 Alfiegee

Alfiegee

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 05:38 PM

Re Crow---Been hoping/dreaming for years. When can we go? :razz:[/quote]

End of Apr or May, prolly early or mid May.

Alfie.

#10 roughsquare

roughsquare

Sunfish

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 10:17 PM

Tom: haven't been yet just heard good things. Going to do a weekender this fall there.

#11 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 10:35 PM

@troutaddicted: French river looks awesome, but it might be a little on the far side for me, that being said Im not gonna cross it off. Any good sections you could recommend? Also Fish wise, Im looking for anything really, Bass, Trout, Pike, walleye. Don't have too much interest in the smaller pan-fish or perch or catfish at all. 

When we went it was in August... we launched outta Hartley Bay and headed down towards G Bay - fishing was incredible, smallies and pike galore.

When are you planning on going? I can help you with trout but the other sportfish someone else will have to chime in.

#12 Knuguy

Knuguy

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 996 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 07:06 PM

. End of Apr or May are ideal.
I'd be down with setting up something. Altho not the norm, have caught 3+ Specks in years past.

Alfie.

How many days for 3 trout? What would the normal be?

#13 Alfiegee

Alfiegee

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 11:25 PM

As i said before, 3 lb Specks are not the norm. Maybe 1 that big every 2 or 3 years. Normal would be 8-16 inches. I guess. 1-2 lbers each year, nice.
I have always made the trip a 2 week thing so as to enjoy and not to rush. Could probablly be done in a week if you wished.

Alfie.

#14 Alfiegee

Alfiegee

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 01:41 AM

As i said before, 3 lb Specks are not the norm. Maybe 1 that big every 2 or 3 years. Normal would be 8-16 inches. I guess. 1-2 lbers each year, nice.
I have always made the trip a 2 week thing so as to enjoy and not to rush. Could probablly be done in a week if you wished.

Alfie.

#15 Knuguy

Knuguy

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 996 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 10:31 AM

Sorry, I misunderstood your post. I thought you were talking about numbers rather than weight when you said 3 plus. 3 lb is bigger than I have ever caught. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fishing, Camping, Kayak