• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 rhymobot

rhymobot

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 12:25 PM

Have you ever found someone else's gear while fishing? And either returned it to them or left it since there was no way of contacting them? Or perhaps helped yourself to some of that stuff?

A few years ago I was fishing the bank of a local river set back in the bush and came across a three tray tackle box full of tackle and one rod laying on the ground. Not a single person was in sight. I was there for half an hour and no one showed up in that time. And the stuff wasn't dirty so I thought it probably had been there for a few hours at most.

I eventually moved up and down the bank, probably 500m each way and I think I saw one jogger in the distance. Came back to the spot and the stuff was still there. I thought maybe he fell in and since the water was muddy I can't see him. And I didn't think he would have floated downstream since it was very slow moving.

So as I left, I called the cops and told them about it in case they had any reports or wanted to go have a look for themselves. Anyway, there was nothing in the news about a missing person so I figured there was some other reason for this mystery.

And last year I went to go wade a river and had my waders in a big plastic bag and kept my hiking shoes on to hike down from the parking lot. Once I got to the bank, I would change to my waders and put my shoes in my backpack. Well after half an hour, I opened my backpack to get something and noticed my shoes weren't in there. I realized I somehow must have left them on the bank while I changed over. I said I'll just grab them when I go back that way.

Two hours later and they're gone. And where I did this was in the bush and not on a path or trail. And these hiking shoes were 9 years old and the sole was coming apart on both shoes. Who would take them?

I also reeled in a rod and reel combo at a pond while fishing from a raised gazeebo over the water. To this day I still use that reel as my 5th choice bass fishing reel even though it really does not cast very smoothly.

#2 Johnny Hollywood

Johnny Hollywood

Sunfish

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 12:50 PM

If I found someones gear I would check for contact info on it. If it had none I would just leave it hopefully the owner would return.

That's a strange stroy about the tackle box and rod. I don't know why anyone would just leave there gear there. Maybe it was cursed or something ;)

#3 PUMP KNOWS

PUMP KNOWS

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 12:58 PM

I lost a double sided plano box full of spoons and spinners in lake ontario on the weekend.

If anyone manages to retrieve it, please remember me :(

#4 Johnny Hollywood

Johnny Hollywood

Sunfish

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 01:08 PM

That sucks PUMP KNOWS hope it finds it's way back to you.

#5 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 01:34 PM

Didn't really find anything in particular but 1 dude during the salmon run lost a backpack because he put it behind him and along the trails and a lot of people were going back and forth. He was too focused on fishing he didn't notice it was gone. in fact a lot of people were  fishing but nobody noticed it. don't leave your stuff unattended. It is a b*tch to put your rod down to re-tie or to change your offering but always look out for your stuff.

#6 usernamehere

usernamehere

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 03:01 AM

Found tons of lures, a kiddie spincast reel, quite a few floats and a zebco spinning rod n reel combo.

If i find it, and its useable or salvageable for parts, i keep it. Otherwise it goes straight to the nearest trash bin.

#7 tcp

tcp

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 02:16 PM

last fall I checked out everyones fav easterditch.   Found a pile of trash at this one pool, I picked it all up to shove it in a bag I always carry for my own trash and in the pile there was full spool of some highend seaguar flourocarbon, also a few other packets of end tackle.  obviously kept that stuff and trashed the trash.

Another time, on a west trib I found a small folding tackle case loaded with shot, hooks and swivels sitting in the bush beside the trail, covered in dirt and mud.  Had to pocket that one, been using the bits from it to this day.  the size of the case is just perfect. 

In my opinion, if there is some random kit laying on the ground and no one around, fair game, clean it up.  No sense leaving foreign objects in nature, take it or trash it.  if its a backpack or something big like that,  I wouldnt touch it.  Sometimes you find peoples stash. 

Ive also pull some rods out of the river while boating down.  always good to pull that stuff out and take it to the trash

#8 flandogg

flandogg

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 03:00 PM

That sucks PUMP. Unfortunately I have been in rhymybot's shoes (no pun intended) About 12 years ago and I still remember this. I was fishing my favorite Toronto pond, and there was a friendly young couple that came and watched me fish. They asked me a ton of questions on what to use and where to fish, and I was more than happy to offer advice. While talking to them I hooked into a 26 or so incher and landed him about 15 yards down because of the weeds in front of me. I turned to tell them what the fish was, but they were gone...along with my Plano box full of about 25 spoons/ spinners and pliers! Well at least I learned how to unhook a pike and safely release it with my bare hands LOL.

#9 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 10:12 PM

Tcp was that box white?

#10 tcp

tcp

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 12:44 PM

Tcp was that box white?

Ill PM you

#11 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 01:14 PM

Sounds like it was white lol. There was 15 bucks worth of diachi x510s in there!

#12 tcp

tcp

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 01:40 PM

ya bro, its yours, sucks, now I have to find a new one.  hahahahaha.  good news for you, I used only maybe one or two of the hooks when I went center pinning one time so its mostly still full from when you lost it

#13 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 01:48 PM

Keep it. Someone did me a solid this week so my turn

#14 tcp

tcp

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 01:53 PM

wikkid. thanks.  ill get ya back some day

#15 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 05:19 PM

what a happy happy happy thread

#16 Shmogley

Shmogley

Luck is one of my skills!

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 05:22 PM

i found a pin/rod in the parking lot at my local spot couple years back. dont know how they forgot that or what the situation was but i just put a laminated paper near the gate leading to the path with duct tape saying "found centerpin rod/reel" and the number. i left it up to the caller to fill in the details of the rod/the exact spot the car was parked and found the owner within a week.

#17 RiverRuns

RiverRuns

Sunfish

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 07:03 PM

Fishing the Credit on busy fall day...Took my hip pack with all my gear off to take a leak, forgot to put it back on. Noticed it gone about 500m downriver. Went back in a panic; luckily those Ministry researchers found it (close to freshly gutted salmon they interrogated me about) and I got it back. I considered myself very lucky. First thing when I went home was to put a card with my contact info. in the bag...hopefully the next time I have a senile moment, the bag will be found by someone honest enough to contact me.
Finding someone else's gear does put you in a dilemma though. If everyone was honest, I would just leave whatever I found (unless it is obvious that the object has been laying out for a long time) on the bank, knowing the person will likely come back. However, knowing that a lot of people are dishonest and the next person may take it, I am tempted to grab it and post it on the forums. Schmogley's solution is a good one too.
Not wanting to "profile" tribs, but some seem to be more prone to pilferage than others. I walked along the Maitland one day, passing two unattended centrepin combos on the bank twice; once around noon and once three hours later. I don't think they would have lasted that long on the Credit.

#18 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 07:52 PM

Last year i saw a permanent hut in bad shape blowing across simcoe. Pilfered the bit of good stuff (2 seats and a 20lb propane tank) anddd let he go on its way to Beaverton. There was no way I could have got it back to shore in the wind