• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Cyphus

Cyphus

Sunfish

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 10:52 AM

Hey guys, been a few months since I've been on here!

Wondering if anyone has any idea's of when the run starts this year? I know the season for the Trib I'm looking to fish starts in a couple weeks, but I dont know if that coincides with the run ooooor?

Fill me in boys, I'd love some more info to join the fun!

#2 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 11:40 AM

tip, the opener is timed for the end of the spawning period, yes, there will still be spawning fish, it all depends on weather.

#3 Cyphus

Cyphus

Sunfish

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 11:50 AM

tip, the opener is timed for the end of the spawning period, yes, there will still be spawning fish, it all depends on weather

I figured it would be something like like that FF, my first year going out for the opener so i thought i would ask.

#4 NaturehasIT

NaturehasIT

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 01:18 PM

With this weather we are getting, I bet there are more fish trying to get to their spawning grounds after the opener like last year. AS last year I literally saw more than 30+ Steels trying to spawn on a 1km stretch of water not more than a foot deep. felt very sorry for them but couldnt help.

#5 Cyphus

Cyphus

Sunfish

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 01:52 PM

Hrm, that's true NaturehasIT, I'm probably gonna head out on the opener and see how it goes, if i get something i'll post photo's, if not i'll wait a couple days lol.

#6 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 03:03 PM

If you do get photos wait a couple days

#7 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 03:13 PM

good luck though !

#8 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 09:58 PM

With this weather we are getting, I bet there are more fish trying to get to their spawning grounds after the opener like last year. AS last year I literally saw more than 30+ Steels trying to spawn on a 1km stretch of water not more than a foot deep. felt very sorry for them but couldnt help.

they don't spawn in deep pools, they only use them for resting, they like to spawn in flowing water with a small gravel base, if there's good gravel there, they'll spawn.  doesn't have to make sense, long as the deed gets done.

just don't target any fish in shallow water, fish the deep pools only

#9 Cyphus

Cyphus

Sunfish

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 10:07 PM

If you do get photos wait a couple days

Of course, TC, last thing I want is to add anymore pressure to the rivers.

they don't spawn in deep pools, they only use them for resting, they like to spawn in flowing water with a small gravel base, if there's good gravel there, they'll spawn.  doesn't have to make sense, long as the deed gets done.

Yeah, I've been planning/doing mild research for this for a couple years so I have a pretty decent knowledge base (although nothing like you guys) about the where and why, just the when I was fuzzy about. I've got a few spots pick out where riffles drop into deep pools that I want to check out early in the AM. As always though, you guys know more than me so if you've got pointers/tip feel free to impart them lol PM if you guys would prefer.

#10 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 10:26 PM

Of course, TC, last thing I want is to add anymore pressure to the rivers.

Yeah, I've been planning/doing mild research for this for a couple years so I have a pretty decent knowledge base (although nothing like you guys) about the where and why, just the when I was fuzzy about. I've got a few spots pick out where riffles drop into deep pools that I want to check out early in the AM. As always though, you guys know more than me so if you've got pointers/tip feel free to impart them lol PM if you guys would prefer.

redds can be difficult to spot for the unseasoned angler, thats where a good pair of polarized glasses come in very handy! look out for about a 3ft round circle of gravel/rock that looks cleaner/different than the surrounding gravel, and avoid it, even if you're unsure, just avoid it, best places to cross are in sandy areas, and areas with large river rock/limestone/clay

#11 Cyphus

Cyphus

Sunfish

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 10:40 PM

redds can be difficult to spot for the unseasoned angler, thats where a good pair of polarized glasses come in very handy! look out for about a 3ft round circle of gravel/rock that looks cleaner/different than the surrounding gravel, and avoid it, even if you're unsure, just avoid it, best places to cross are in sandy areas, and areas with large river rock/limestone/clay

redds? lol I've got polarized glasses, but yeah guy's have told me the best places to cross are sandy spots or lots of large rocks, and i'm gonna bring a wading stick as well. Never heard of these mysterious 3' circles of doom you speak of though!

#12 NaturehasIT

NaturehasIT

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 10:49 PM

I know this. I have seen this all the time in spring.

#13 Bart

Bart

Sunfish

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 11:02 PM

A redd is the spot that they've released and fertilized their eggs

#14 Cyphus

Cyphus

Sunfish

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 11:06 PM

A redd is the spot that they've released and fertilized their eggs

Ah, yeah good call. definitly will give them a wide birth

#15 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 11:06 PM

redds? lol I've got polarized glasses, but yeah guy's have told me the best places to cross are sandy spots or lots of large rocks, and i'm gonna bring a wading stick as well. Never heard of these mysterious 3' circles of doom you speak of though!

heres a pic with some redds in it, they're most likely won't be clustered like this, but it will give you an idea of what to look for, obviously seeing them is very dependant on water clarity

slide-7_bull-trout-redd_zpsbzezpgqm.jpg

redds_zpsz7mydcbe.jpg

#16 Cyphus

Cyphus

Sunfish

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 11:10 PM

Thanks for the visual FF! Last thing I want to do is damage any spawn.

#17 Berg

Berg

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 09:42 AM

heres a pic with some redds in it, they're most likely won't be clustered like this, but it will give you an idea of what to look for, obviously seeing them is very dependant on water clarity

slide-7_bull-trout-redd_zpsbzezpgqm.jpg

redds_zpsz7mydcbe.jpg

What gives them that lighter colour? 

#18 fishing89

fishing89

Perch

• Active Members
  • 582 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 09:59 AM

The females slap their tales/sides against the rocks and turn them up

#19 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 12:49 PM

trout digs an inch of pebbkled surface to lay their eggs. if you see any activity going on or trout holding these spots...watch carefull and you will see trout slapping (as fishing89 said) that area...

#20 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 02:11 PM

they dig and clean the rocks by turning on their sides, its why you see so many steel head with damaged tails, its from clean the dirt and silt

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 2015, run, salmon, trout, steelhead, open, season