• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 Cyphus

Cyphus

Sunfish

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 03:01 PM

Hey! Did anyone have much luck? I went out the first day and I've been out a few times since the opener, may have even seen some of you guys. Saw a few trout, but they woudn't take my fly (used nymphs, dries, dry dropper, long flouro leader,tippet etc.) didn't catch sh*t. The only thing I managed to catch was a 22lb carp and that was just casting blindly too a back eddy and letting my nymph drift the seam. 

I'd love to see any pics guys. Any tips would be appreciated too, as always.

#22 BowSlayer

BowSlayer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 03:07 PM

I had most of my luck on opener on roe and pinkies, oddly enough the couple of weeks before opener all I was getting them on were flies with beads. Tough opener this year, almost no fish compared to previous years but we managed about a half dozen/dozen each, every time out so far. Lots of fresh fish as well still, I mean like fall run fresh!

#23 Cyphus

Cyphus

Sunfish

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 03:14 PM

orly? that sounds promising BowSlayer! I was mostly north of Britannia. Might have to head south with my roe at the end of the week... if there are still even fish in the tribs lol

#24 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 04:13 PM

I have been scouting some spots before opener and have seen some undercuts that has great potential to hold fish during the run...I got 2 fish from 2 of the 3 spots I thought would...It paid off for me. Most people here would post it on the Ultimate Photo thread...

#25 Cyphus

Cyphus

Sunfish

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 04:16 PM

I have been scouting some spots before opener and have seen some undercuts that has great potential to hold fish during the run...I got 2 fish from 2 of the 3 spots I thought would...It paid off for me. Most people here would post it on the Ultimate Photo thread...

I did some scouting too, no such luck i guess. lol yeah I know bud

#26 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 04:25 PM

I did some scouting too, no such luck i guess. lol yeah I know bud

give it another try. there are steelhead to be had. I was out yesterday and still see some spawning action. I`d give it another week. It`s easier to spot them now that they have turned darker. These dropbacks still offers a good fight. I`m just not much of a fan now that pike fishing is open.

#27 Cyphus

Cyphus

Sunfish

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 04:30 PM

Yeah, like I said I might head a little further south. I was out 2 days ago and I saw a male spawning, figured I would leave him be. Lol I can't fish the big O 

(no boat) so Pike doesn't open for me until next weekend. Better believe I'm gonna hit that hard though!

#28 ChromeAddict

ChromeAddict

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 05:17 PM

I saw a bunch rolling on the surface yesterday. The residents were also on fire.

#29 Cyphus

Cyphus

Sunfish

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 05:34 PM

I saw a bunch rolling on the surface yesterday. The residents were also on fire.

I dont suppose you'd be willing to PM me with a general area, would ya buddy?

#30 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 06:55 PM

it was tough, fish were way way up high in the rivers, and in some tucked away in inaccessible private grounds.  water was also very cold, stuck my hand in sunday and was surprised to feel how cold it was

one thing to pay close attention to when seeing steel head in the water, is how they sitting, if they are sitting with tails up and heads down, they are inactive and won't hit a thing, you'll drive yourself crazy trying, look for active fish, swirls on the surface, flashes in the pools type thing

#31 Cyphus

Cyphus

Sunfish

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 07:10 PM

it was tough, fish were way way up high in the rivers, and in some tucked away in inaccessible private grounds.  water was also very cold, stuck my hand in sunday and was surprised to feel how cold it was

one thing to pay close attention to when seeing steel head in the water, is how they sitting, if they are sitting with tails up and heads down, they are inactive and won't hit a thing, you'll drive yourself crazy trying, look for active fish, swirls on the surface, flashes in the pools type thing

Yeah most of the guys I talked to on the river had been saying about the same. Lol it was cold -2C air temp the morning of the opener. I don't own waders (I'm cheap lol) so I just put on shorts, sandals and wade on in that bastard. I get funny looks and my legs go a little numb, but if I catch fish it's totally worth it.

that could be it really. the few fish i did see were all pretty still with their nose down I think.

#32 BowSlayer

BowSlayer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 08:10 AM

Lots of fish still in the rivers, gbay tribs have been terrible this year, especially the ones closest to me (isn't that always the case, lol) but still managing a few fish, much more down south on the lake O tribs, most fish aren't active but after some scouting I found a few creeks that don't get fished at all, or so I was told by a local and obviously if they're not pressured, they'll hit. Find a river with a big run and look for little tribs off that river, you'd be surprised what you could find.

#33 Cyphus

Cyphus

Sunfish

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 08:25 AM

Yeah I know a few little tribes off lake O, haven't had a chance to mosey on down there from where I live in the north side of mississauga

#34 JrFloatnFly

JrFloatnFly

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 09:42 PM

Definitely a tougher opener this year.  My Georgian bay trib i frequent has been very slow as mentioned.  A specific west trib has seen a substantial decline, partly due to political fish barries... the recenter warm and dry summers are to blame as well.  Still fish to be found though!

#35 flandogg

flandogg

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 10:32 PM

Definitely a tougher opener this year.  My Georgian bay trib i frequent has been very slow as mentioned.  A specific west trib has seen a substantial decline, partly due to political fish barries... the recenter warm and dry summers are to blame as well.  Still fish to be found though!

Heard about the political issues on the west trib over the weekend. What a shame, a big mess. Changes need to happen soon.

#36 Cyphus

Cyphus

Sunfish

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 10:34 PM

Political issues? I feel like I've missed something? Are we just talking about these "lamprey" barriers?

#37 NaturehasIT

NaturehasIT

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 11:35 PM

Lots of fish on one particular west Trib I go to. every outing since opening I was able to see fish. they hold up in the few deep pools u can find. U have to do alot of leg work and DO NOT fish where people go. u would be surpised to see alot of fishes hiding in areas not frequent by anglers on that same stretch of water and river.I hooked about 12 fishes in about 4 pools on Sat gone. landed 6 and lost the rest.Sunday went back. Hooked about 7 landed 3. So yeh lots of fishes

#38 Shmogley

Shmogley

Luck is one of my skills!

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 12:44 AM

Lots of fish on one particular west Trib I go to. every outing since opening I was able to see fish. they hold up in the few deep pools u can find. U have to do alot of leg work and DO NOT fish where people go. u would be surpised to see alot of fishes hiding in areas not frequent by anglers on that same stretch of water and river.I hooked about 12 fishes in about 4 pools on Sat gone. landed 6 and lost the rest.Sunday went back. Hooked about 7 landed 3. So yeh lots of fishes

its not that there's no fish, rather fishing in general this spring has been slower then normal. I've had a few great days this spring that rival any other year. but the day to day is definitely slower all around.

its been very little rain and many cloudless warmer then seasonal days. there is still fresh chrome trickling in but at a very slow rate. up north is a different story ;)

#39 NaturehasIT

NaturehasIT

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 06:33 PM

its not that there's no fish, rather fishing in general this spring has been slower then normal. I've had a few great days this spring that rival any other year. but the day to day is definitely slower all around.

its been very little rain and many cloudless warmer then seasonal days. there is still fresh chrome trickling in but at a very slow rate. up north is a different story ;)

u got it right my friend. still some fishing left to have this spring. all we need is a decent rain and fish gonna be hitting all over like crazy. hang in there.  :cool:  :cool:

#40 ChromeAddict

ChromeAddict

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 06:52 PM

You're in luck! Rain Saturday through Tuesday should bring a fresh run in.

u got it right my friend. still some fishing left to have this spring. all we need is a decent rain and fish gonna be hitting all over like crazy. hang in there.  :cool:  :cool:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 2015, run, salmon, trout, steelhead, open, season