• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Catfish Everdeen

Catfish Everdeen

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 12:24 AM

Two summers ago, I really was invested in trying to catch a large carp and honing some carp fishing skills. I did my research and read that boilies were a favoured alternative to corn and I tried that out. I had no success on store bought boilies and was a little discouraged, but then I read that I could make my own, so I tried that out. My two friends and I caught a nice carp each from my home recipe. They caught nice 3 and 5 pounders, while mine was a healthy seven pounds and my largest fish at the time. 

However, when I tried last summer using basic corn, I caught a nine pounder in the exact same place. I was fishing in a small pond in Hamilton, really murky water with a deep pool. It is a very urban place with consistent angling pressure as it is quite close to residential homes. I caught the 7 pounder in August and this fish was caught in late May. The other difference in setup is that I was using a feeder for the larger carp. 

So the question I would like to ask is, in your experience, how effective are boilies over corn? And how effective are homemade boilies over store boilies? I want to start trying for big carp again and I want to know what made the difference, or if there is a difference? Does the feeder make thatbig an impact or is May the better season for big fish? I am situated in Toronto now, close to another, much larger urban pond and would like to start getting consistent success with smaller fish before moving on to the giants. So any advice you can give?

Catfish 

#2 tcp

tcp

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 09:08 AM

Both boilies and corn work,  what you need to do is fish a different spot.  If you want to catch a really big carp right now, go to <snip - sent via PM>  No joke. seriously large fish in the early spring.

Or just wait until may and fish any spot you can find along the hamilton harbour shorline, no sence in fishing in ponds mate.  All the marinas and parks are great places to fish for carp from may til october.

#3 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 09:38 AM

The most important factor if you aren't doing it already is to use a hair rig for both boilies and corn. Also depending on how urban this spot is, sight fishing in the shallows with bread could be the ticket. If they are used to residents feeding ducks or swans with bread they will gobble it up without hesitation.

#4 Joshkerzner

Joshkerzner

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 11:59 AM

Know that you are in toronto i would go and try fishing near the marinas at the islands. Ive seen Monster carp and people catch them all the time. They will pretty much eat anything at any time

Types of bait to use. Ive seen a lot of weird carp baits. People normally use corn. Ive used corn dunked in maple syrup which works. Ive used hotdogs, sausage and anything else with a funky smell. But the funniest and best bait is a good piece of marshmallow sandwiched between pieces of corn. It floats and carp LOVE it. Just you have to make sure it has a smell. Carp will pretty much eat anything. 

I would fish just a hoot and bait, no floats or sinkers. At the islands, once you catch a carp in one spot. you have to change your spot. the carp spin and fight and spook the rest of the fish. You have to walk around and find a group of carp. Then throw a couple pieces of chum in the water. Then toss your bait while they eat the chum. 

Good Luck with the fishing. Let me know if you catch anything. and by the way, its way too cold to start fishing for carp. If i were you, wait till may, they are more active then. If you need to know some good spots, feel free to gimme a shout.

#5 PUMP KNOWS

PUMP KNOWS

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 03:46 PM

You mentioned in your other thread that you have a fly setup?

If so try sight fishing for carp in the shallows in may.

#6 Catfish Everdeen

Catfish Everdeen

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 12:18 PM

Thanks for all the replies!

I'll be sure to check that location out when I get the chance, thank you again! Hopefully I'll have a couple of pictures to post.

Seems that different baits don't make that much of a difference, but I see that chumming is key. I will incorporate that in my fishing strategy then. I have never tried fly fishing for carp though, are there any good locations for that? I relate to carp being a primarily bottom feeding fish, so I can not really think of a place I know where it is shallow enough for that. But I am willing to give that a try.

Cheers.

#7 Joshkerzner

Joshkerzner

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 11:42 AM

Never even heard of fly fishing for carp. its about scent, and carp like things that float or on the bottom.

#8 tcp

tcp

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 12:06 PM

Never even heard of fly fishing for carp. its about scent, and carp like things that float or on the bottom.

I take carp on flies 6 months out of the year.  Ive caught them at all levels of the water coloumn.  NO SCENT REQUIRED, they use all of their senses to feed including sight.

Most are taken on bottom using nymphs..

10572261_748589955198955_206520861729556

In the great lakes they chase big stripped streamers in the middle of the water column, imitations of gobies and crayfish work best... 

10428364_726280600763224_873024804506179

Ive also taken carp from the surface that were eating spent caddis

10454994_730371043687513_906027720121048

#9 Catfish Everdeen

Catfish Everdeen

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 07:11 PM

Wow those are some great carp! I can not really think of a place where the water would be shallow enough to fly fish for carp, so I'll do my research and try to find a place. Those are huge fish, I can not imagine how good it would feel to get one on a fly. 

#10 hammercarp

hammercarp

Perch

• Active Members
  • 660 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 03:07 PM

I would rank them corn, homemade boilies, store bought boilies. Corn, that is canned corn will almost always be instantly accepted by carp. Sometimes it can take a while for carp to recognize boilies as food. So it may require multiple baitings. Boilies are expensive and or labour intensive to make. There are those that claim that boilies produce bigger fish. I can be fun to make your own boilies though . Especially when you catch on them. 

#11 Shepp

Shepp

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 04:44 PM

Guys, I've been stalling but I really have to weigh in on this one. Who in God's name would ever target a carp??? They are the ultimate junk fish and extremely destructive as well. Within a week or so they will be congregating in an inlet just up river from where I live. They will be spawning in about 1' of water at the edge of the reeds. These are 30, 40, 50 lbrs.  Anyone who wants some, pls come down to my place and take as many as you can with you. Thks. Cheers. 

#12 ChromeAddict

ChromeAddict

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 05:23 PM

Guys, I've been stalling but I really have to weigh in on this one. Who in God's name would ever target a carp??? They are the ultimate junk fish and extremely destructive as well. Within a week or so they will be congregating in an inlet just up river from where I live. They will be spawning in about 1' of water at the edge of the reeds. These are 30, 40, 50 lbrs.  Anyone who wants some, pls come down to my place and take as many as you can with you. Thks. Cheers. 

You sir are closed-minded. Carp will pull harder than most other fish, and are extremely elusive as well. Oh and snagging- illegal, wasting fish - illegal. Google european carp fishing and you will see how much of a 'junk fish they are.

#13 Aqua

Aqua

Sunfish

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 06:08 PM

Wow... @Shepp you are ignorant.

#14 Shawarma

Shawarma

Perch

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 07:51 PM

Carp on the fly is pure fun. Nevermind the nonsense above.
To each their own. The musky killer hated muskies. I'm sure most would agree that's insane but again, some target certain species over others.

That's what makes this sport amazing. Find what you like but please don't harm the species that you don't like as surely there is someone who enjoys chasing them.

#15 DitchWizard

DitchWizard

Perch

• Active Members
  • 693 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 08:31 PM

Although carp are not listed much in the regulations they are not considered coarse fish so snagging them is illegal. They are actually fun to catch 

#16 hammercarp

hammercarp

Perch

• Active Members
  • 660 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 08:39 PM

#17 hammercarp

hammercarp

Perch

• Active Members
  • 660 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 08:42 PM

dont-feed-the-troll.jpg

#18 Shepp

Shepp

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 09:38 PM

Guys, I think perhaps some of you have mis-interpreted my post, or perhaps I didn't come across the right way. The fact that I can't see why anyone would target carp is simply my perspective, and I'm entitled to it. As Shawarma puts it, "some target certain species over others". What I do know, is that carp is a very invasive species and since their establishment into this area I have personally seen dwindling numbers in a number of species. Bluegill would be a good example. In no way did I attack or condemn anyone for the species they seek. Open forums mean open debate fellas, and although we might not always agree, we must all agree to get along. For anyone offended, I apologize. However, Aqua, I might be opinionated, but I sure as heck ain't ignorant......especially when it comes to fishing. I would consider that an attack, but hey, I'm thick skinned. hammercarp, the only time I troll is in the boat. Fish on guys, and fish for what you please and Happy Hookin'. The offer still stands though. Anyone desiring carp, come on down to my place in about a week, and please take all of them home with you. Cheers.

#19 tcp

tcp

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 10:45 AM

Carp on the fly is pure fun. Nevermind the nonsense above.
To each their own. The musky killer hated muskies. I'm sure most would agree that's insane but again, some target certain species over others.

That's what makes this sport amazing. Find what you like but please don't harm the species that you don't like as surely there is someone who enjoys chasing them.

EXACTLY, there's no need to go around killing fish because you are of the OPINION that they don't belong.  Musky killer, case and point.  

For real, this guy is trolling hard, not sure why im even typing right now

Guys, I think perhaps some of you have mis-interpreted my post, or perhaps I didn't come across the right way. The fact that I can't see why anyone would target carp is simply my perspective, and I'm entitled to it. As Shawarma puts it, "some target certain species over others". What I do know, is that carp is a very invasive species and since their establishment into this area I have personally seen dwindling numbers in a number of species. Bluegill would be a good example. In no way did I attack or condemn anyone for the species they seek. Open forums mean open debate fellas, and although we might not always agree, we must all agree to get along. For anyone offended, I apologize. However, Aqua, I might be opinionated, but I sure as heck ain't ignorant......especially when it comes to fishing. I would consider that an attack, but hey, I'm thick skinned. hammercarp, the only time I troll is in the boat. Fish on guys, and fish for what you please and Happy Hookin'. The offer still stands though. Anyone desiring carp, come on down to my place in about a week, and please take all of them home with you. Cheers.

Talking about snagging fish and wasting their flesh should be enough to land you some fines so you may want to think about removing those comments from a public forum. 

I will take you up on the offer though, I could use some new locations to fish.  Whereabouts do you live? 

#20 chasingfish

chasingfish

Sunfish

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 11:22 AM

Sadly this is a mentality that is around a lot of places. I fished a lake up north where the "locals" told me if I caught a sucker or a bass to stick a knife through its head and throw it back in.

Let's just say some nasty words were exchanged... lol. Why waste something that nature gives us?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: carp, boilies, hamilton