• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#21 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 09:13 PM

There have been a bunch of video's on Facebook showing the ladder and I always see a few making it up in each video. Lots of people are over reacting to the difficulty the fish have making it up. Just look at the Dam in Caledonia, the percentage that make it up when the water is raging is  pretty low yet big numbers always manage to make it to the spawning grounds. Theoretically as the years go on if no changes are made to the dam we should see the percentage of successful jumps steadily increase as the spawn of the successful jumpers have less competition from the spawn of the fish that don't have what it takes to make it up. I've heard of that concrete ledge as well, we'll see if they decide to make changes to it at the upcoming meeting.

When government money or fundraising money is used for a project you will always, without fail have a large number of people complain. It doesn't matter what you do, its hard wired into our society.

exactly.  this particular dam was delayed in completion for 2 years cause of political red tape, 2 steehead and 2 salmon runs had to be manually lifted over

#22 salmotrutta

salmotrutta

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 10:33 PM

From what I read they ran out of funding (fundraising came up severely short) and they sought more government money to try to make up the difference. They also rushed the construction phase.

Severely short on funding and rushed construction, does not bode well. 

At least they have installed some covers to block the fish from jumping straight into the concrete walls on either side of the ladder as they were doing last year. They also put up a fence to block the area where previously some fish were "beaching" themselves and dying. A step in the right direction.