• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Urban Fishing Channel

Urban Fishing Channel

Sunfish

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 01:48 PM

As some of you know the Heart Lake Conservation Area is opening tomorrow. I'm really curious about the lake and thinking about fishing it tomorrow. Does anyone have any knowledge about it? What baits to use? Type of fish in the lake? etc...

Thank you, 

Mike

Attached Images

• Screen Shot 2015-04-25 at 1.47.59 PM.png

#2 Alfiegee

Alfiegee

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 02:25 PM

Can tell you what it was 30 years ago. I was going to run away to Heart Lake. Build some kind of shelter and live off the fat of the land.
Not sure thats possible anymore. Lmao.

Alfie.

#3 BnK

BnK

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 02:54 PM

I avoid it... every summer I go once and I always have a terrible time lol... apparently the crappie there isn't bad if thats what your going for but boat or canoe rental is definitely needed. 

For little fishies for the littles ones (Yes i said 'Fishies') I wouldn't even bring them there. I bring my niece and nephew to a local pond and that satisfies them.

Its just hard fishing at heart lake... 

well... thats my opinion :P

#4 legendarycheeks

legendarycheeks

Earthworm

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 03:51 PM

I actually fished Heart Lake 5-6 times last year in June-July after work. I'd get there around 6 and fish till 9 (or later if I park outside the gates). There was lots of pan fish action every where I casted and caught a few SM Bass there. Nothing too memorable but for a quick 10 min drive it does satisfy the itch to fish. I will be going again this year to see what else I can pull out of there. Also when I get there around 6ish usually there's no attendant so I just drive on in. If you get there earlier then may ask you to pay enterance fee. 

#5 PUMP KNOWS

PUMP KNOWS

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 04:27 PM

What will you be targeting?

I remember catching chunky rock bass and I've seen some trout as well.

#6 flandogg

flandogg

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 04:41 PM

I remember catching bass and sunfish when I went there a few times.

#7 CatchandreleaseKyle

CatchandreleaseKyle

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 01:36 AM

Ive been to Heart Lake dozens of times and if you bring a box of worms and a pack of hooks you're set to get some decent sized Crappie or Rock Bass.

There is rainbow trout in there but they are tough to locate. You can also find decent sized Bullheads in there.

Great lake for kids and getting some early practice in but not for the serious fisherman.

#8 rhymobot

rhymobot

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 01:40 PM

back in the day i also used to drive in after 5 or 6 when no one was at the gate. it was an honour system. put your money in an envelope. lots of people did not. plus, they also charge a fee for fishing on top of entrance. not sure if it has changed in the few years since i've been. in any case, it is almost always not worth the money considering how the fishing is.

one time i did drive in there at 6 and one of the staff did drive down to the lake and ask to see our fishing permit for the lake that day. we had to leave. 9 times out of 10 they won't care to bother you. this is on weekdays.

if you and some buds split the cost of a rental, then it could definitely be fun since it's a nice lake and potential for catching some nice bass during the open season, but most of the time the bass will be on the smaller side.

there are better and free options in brampton nearby if you're afraid of having that awkward conversation if staff ask to see proof that you paid.

and ya, the rainbows are usually small and hard to catch.

#9 wheretofish

wheretofish

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 01:38 PM

Hi Mike,

I have a youtube video for this place. There are lots of rock bass, bluegills, and bass in this lake. The best presentation would be a tiny plastic white minnow on a jig under a float.

you can check out my youtube channel here: https://youtu.be/EsWRy2CQRtw

my website is coming soon: www.wheretofish.ca 

#10 legendarycheeks

legendarycheeks

Earthworm

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 01:55 PM

Hi Mike,

I have a youtube video for this place. There are lots of rock bass, bluegills, and bass in this lake. The best presentation would be a tiny plastic white minnow on a jig under a float.

you can check out my youtube channel here: https://youtu.be/EsWRy2CQRtw

my website is coming soon: www.wheretofish.ca 

I've been waiting for your new videos dude!!! You showed me a lot of places to fish last year. Thanks!!

#11 Pottus

Pottus

Earthworm

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 12:13 AM

This lake has the biggins bass in it I am the bass assassin of Heart Lake! I've caught dozens of bass out of here over 2lbs here is one of the biggest ones.

mj997brst846en2zg.jpg

#12 rhymobot

rhymobot

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 09:24 PM

is that really heart lake or you pulling our legs? those rocks on the side look different to what i remember though i haven't been in 5 years. someone did tell me they caught a 5 pounder there before and i have seen 3.5 pounders while walking the shore during the spawn.

i once brought my inflatable and they said i couldn't use it because they have a policy of hard bottom boats only. it was when i just finished setting up. the guy gave me 2 hours free on the rental rowboat instead.

i lived a 3 minute drive from there for most of my life. if i were allowed my inflatable, i would have fished it dozens of times. 

#13 Pottus

Pottus

Earthworm

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 12:20 PM

It is Heart Lake indeed.

#14 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts