• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Berg

Berg

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 12:58 AM

Hey guys don't know about you but with several different types of fishing I've been doing, I'm having a hard time finding the right way to store gear and tackle... Wanted to hear some opinions from you guys: I wade and fish from the bank, river-fishing only, and find myself juggling several different types of tackle, transferring tackle from vests, to a tackle bag, to my waders' pocket, depending on the area I'm fishing and type of fishing I'm doing. Half the time I've got my crap strewn across the bank and could forget or damage something... What do you guys like to use and why? Have you found a well-balanced way to keep all your tackle on or nearby you that works in many scenarios? I know this is a pretty open-ended vague question, but any opinions would help out.

#2 chasingfish

chasingfish

Sunfish

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 06:44 AM

I went from a vest to a hip bag. It has it's ups and downs. Vest is definetly a more accessible idea. Everything is at your fingertips. My hip bag is great u just have to dig a bit more. And sometimes I find myself in the water with my bag 6 inches in the water. Be sure to adjust it relative to how deep you are going (seems basic but I happens to me a lot). I do like the built in water (beer) bottle holders and the security of having everything zipped up nicely.

Saying that I doubt I'll ever go back to a vest. Just my .02..

#3 jc53

jc53

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 07:02 AM

I went from vest, chest, hip pack and now to the Patagonia sling pack.Suits me just fine, it hold quite a bit of tackle. There is a bottle holder right on the bottom of the pack. When fighting a fish you swing it to your back and if you need to re-tie swing it forward and access all your tackle.

#4 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 07:44 AM

sling bag for sure, you can get them in different sizes, I have the orvis safe passage bag, holds 2 boxes of flies, leaders, tippet, split shot and a travel mug on the inside, also has an exterior compartment for more flies, of you can remove the fly holder and it as an additional pocket, also has spots on the strap for pliers/foreceps, scissors, nippers.

#5 Bow Man

Bow Man

Smallmouth Bass

• Banned
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 10:11 AM

Sling pack for sure. I am currently using the Orvis safe passage also and love it. I can carry everything I need for a day on the water.

#6 ChromeAddict

ChromeAddict

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 01:11 PM

I wear a waist pack I get at Canadian Tire for 15 bucks. I think it was designed for running, but it holds a couple small Plano boxes, and I normally don't bring a lot of tackle anyways. I was considering a vest for a while, but they seem a bit bulky and awkward.

#7 cork

cork

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 01:55 PM

I use a Simms Headwater waist pack and it's pretty good but I tend to pack it with every last possible thing so pulling something out of it can be an issue...I kinda miss my vest but a sling pack is starting to sound pretty good. The one thing that I really like about my waist pack is sliding it out of the way once I've retied.

#8 Shmogley

Shmogley

Luck is one of my skills!

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 02:28 PM

i use a hip pack. it holds whats i need. it can get crowded if i dont manage it properly but usually before i leave my vehicle ill onyl put in what i need (usually a nymph box, streamer/dry box, appropriate tippets and a couple odds and ends/tools).

that being said, ive tried on the orvis safe passage sling pack and i think thats my next purchase. its very comfortable and holds a lot more then my hip pack. also the sling pack doesnt get all caught up in your fly line like a hip pack can.

i tried a vest but it didnt feel right. especially with very hot days it feels like youre wearing another layer. and on cold days it doesnt feel right when worn over a jacket.

sling pack all the way or hip pack if anything

#9 steeleseeker

steeleseeker

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 06:02 PM

Sling hip pack is nice because everything is in a couple pockets and at your fingertips. Not too hot for warm days and no searching though the same pocket ten times trying to remember where you keep whatever you're looking for. I switched to a hip pack that comes with a sling strap and much prefer it to the vest. Although, I do pack waaaay to much stuff in it

#10 Shawarma

Shawarma

Perch

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 07:52 PM

I use a vest.. it works well but i think i'll be trying a sling pack. I don't like hip packs much.. haven't tried them but i don't think i'd enjoy using them. 

#11 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 07:58 PM

I try to not take too much. Usually wader and jacket pockets are enough

#12 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 08:38 PM

I try to not take too much. Usually wader and jacket pockets are enough

what if its too warm for a jacket

#13 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 09:19 PM

Then im usually not.fishing in rivers!

#14 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 09:29 PM

I do use a fanny pack from time to time, and sometimes i've been known to load up my waders in the front

#15 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 09:40 PM

Then im usually not.fishing in rivers!

meaning days like today, where the water is still cold, and the air is pretty warm

#16 Shawarma

Shawarma

Perch

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 07:53 PM

I picked up a simms headwaters sling pack today. I'd take this over a vest or fanny pack anyway. Looking forward to using it.

#17 Berg

Berg

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 09:45 PM

Anybody able to comment on the Simms Headwaters HIP PACK? Saw a guy using it this weekend and it looked great.

#18 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 07:50 AM

personally i find that hip packs get in the way unless you swing em to the back, but then you might as well go with a sling bag.  and if you wade in water over your waist, or kneel down in it, you don't have to worry about dunking your bag

#19 balt0

balt0

Sunfish

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 09:04 AM

I have the simms headwaters guide hip pack and I love it.  It is like a portable desk that fits tons of stuff.  Usually, I drop something and it falls into the pack. With deep wading it may get wet but I know that in advance so I left it up.  I have a vest that I will use the in the warmer weather but I found it quickly became too tight for colder weather as I start to layer up.

#20 riddickulous

riddickulous

Sunfish

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 02:29 PM

I did my research...I settled on a sling bag. I passed on vests (hurt my shoulders if I carried too much weight), hip packs (sits too low), and chest packs (can't see my feet when I walk). 

Now i can carry water and a light lunch. Sling packs from companies like Orvis, Simms, or Patagonia cost $100+, look up "UTG Tactical bag". It has great functionality at half the price.