• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Catfish Everdeen

Catfish Everdeen

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 11:47 AM

I went for a round of night fishing with my friends last night. We hooked into some channel cats at the dam above Dunnville and then moved locations to the Caledonia dam later in the night. We hooked into some more channel cats, with a bullhead and a sucker for a little diversity. 

But when I was reeling in my line to check on the minnow, I think I got the biggest surprise of my fishing career when I noticed a long, thin, dark and slimy shape hanging on to my hook. I moved it over shore and it plopped off and under further investigation, I caught a salalmander! That was a nice little surprise to liven up my night and one of the weirdest things that has ever graced my lines.

20150503_013536.jpg

#2 cbg

cbg

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 12:03 PM

Thats cool. Always wanted catch one of those. That what they call a mudpuppy?

#3 steeleseeker

steeleseeker

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 01:41 PM

Ya Def a mudpuppy. Little different than a salamander. They live underwater quite Common in some bodies of water

#4 Alfiegee

Alfiegee

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 02:35 PM

Actually have caught 3 or 4 mud puppies over the years in Caledonia. They don't leap like a Smallie or Gar and don't really fight at all.
Definitely interesting tho. I have also hooked and landed 30 lb snapping turtles at the dam. Don't leap or fight much either. Lol. Actually try and picture a 30 lb turtle leaping like a Smallie. Rotfl.

Alfie.

#5 kntoews

kntoews

Earthworm

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 06:53 AM

Ya I caught a mud puppy when we were ice fishing in Port Roland a few years ago. They are ugly little things. Since then I've heard they are pretty common to that area.

#6 Cyphus

Cyphus

Sunfish

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 06:21 PM

45558.imgcache.jpg

Sorry guys... had too