#1 Will

Will

Sunfish

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 01:09 PM

Hey guys - just a reminder re: ticks...

http://www.health.go...sease/lyme.aspx

I took my wife out to an Erie trib yesterday (within a few km of the lake) and after a great morning fishing for little browns:

IMG_3511.JPG

and bows (most of the bows had obvious markings, but this one lacked any markings - possibly a 16-month old coho?):

IMG_3495.JPG

we drove to another town, ate lunch, and then drove some more - and only then did I notice a tick on my leg. Then another one on my wife's arm. We stopped and patted down and found a third one on her seat. Doesn't seem like we got bitten at all, but just a heads up. I'm personally from Northeastern Ontario and it's no issue up there. I guess in some areas down here they're fairly common though. Not likely my wife is coming fishing with me anywhere again soon!

#2 tcp

tcp

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 02:21 PM

salmon in lake erie? :???:

#3 Alfiegee

Alfiegee

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 02:35 PM

Gotta be careful of ticks and their bites.
A friend on this forum got bit and contracted Lymes disease. It had long term affects. Not sure if it can be fatal, but it can be pretty serious. And cause you to lose lots of time on the water.

Alfie.

#4 Will

Will

Sunfish

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 02:57 PM

salmon in lake erie? :???:

Definitely in a few streams...just gotta look a bit  ;-)

#5 flandogg

flandogg

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 03:28 PM

PUMP and I noticed ticks on us over the weekend on the Credit. Never knew they existed in that area. Niagara Region is also loaded with them, found out the hard way unfortunately.

Use lots of bug spray, and tuck in your socks, shirts, etc. They like warm, dark places.

#6 PUMP KNOWS

PUMP KNOWS

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 04:59 PM

That was my first tick I've ever seen and it grossed me out.

Thanks flandogg for noticing.

#7 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 11:16 PM

I once had a tick burrow itself well into my shin. I have no idea how I didn't notice it make it that far, my shin was itchy and I felt a bump when scratching so I looked down and there it was. 

#8 steeleseeker

steeleseeker

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 05:37 AM

Hate those things. Gives me the shivers just thinking about it. As long as you check yourself out after going through wooded areas and remove the tick before it's been attached for 24 hrs the threat of contracting Lyme disease is very low. It also has to be a certain kind of tick that carries the bacteria. Careful when removing then as they burrow their heads right into your skin which can break off and cause infection. Def tuck pants into socks and use bug spray. The range of these ticks has been increasing year by year due to milder winters in (last 2 excluded) so they may exist where they have previously never been encountered

#9 flandogg

flandogg

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 08:33 AM

That was my first tick I've ever seen and it grossed me out.

Thanks flandogg for noticing.

No worries! Hopefully its the last time we notice lol.

#10 Diana Danger

Diana Danger

Steel Bunny

• Active Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 10:12 AM

Yikes.  Should I be worried about my dog?  I take him fishing with me at least once a week.  He has short hair and so there is no real "warm and dark place" for them to hide.

#11 PUMP KNOWS

PUMP KNOWS

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 12:52 PM

^^^

I was just gonna ask you about your dog.

I don't think I'll be taking my dog in the woods.

#12 flandogg

flandogg

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 01:36 PM

Yikes.  Should I be worried about my dog?  I take him fishing with me at least once a week.  He has short hair and so there is no real "warm and dark place" for them to hide.

I haven't seen any out east yet, and if there are, the numbers are nothing compared to Niagara Region and Erie side. I wouldn't be too worried, just check him after each outing.

#13 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 02:19 PM

Less worrying if he has his vaccinations too.

#14 FishFinder17

FishFinder17

Sunfish

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 09:24 AM

@FisherGirl yes, you should take every precaution to ensure your dog doesn't get ticks. Not only can it be very dangerous for their health but if he/she is bringing ticks home it is also dangerous for you. I have a 1.5 yr old golden retriever named Kevin. He's a cottage dog so we try and get him vaccinated/covered for everything. Aside from all of his vaccinations, he's on a monthly dose of Bayer Advantage Multi (protects against fleas, whipworm, hookworm, roundworm, heart worm and others) and Bayer K9 Advantix II (protects against ticks, fleas, eggs, and larvae). 

We always err on the side of caution so that we have nothing to worry about while he's at the cottage. The medication isn't cheap (about $150 for the summer) but it's MUCH less expensive than treating your dog for ticks or anything else I mentioned above. 

Hope this helps. Protect your pups!

FF17

#15 Diana Danger

Diana Danger

Steel Bunny

• Active Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 12:41 PM

Thanks for that info, I always get all vaccines my vet offers (as you said better to be safe than sorry) but I will have to specifically ask about things like ticks when we go see him next week.  Thanks again : )

#16 tcp

tcp

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 02:05 PM

I had a tick burrow into my shoulder out east (far east)  in Long Sault (cornwall area) a couple of summers ago.  Ill try to dig up the picture.  It wasn’t the type that carries lyme disease as far as I know, but was still a bit unnerving.  Hurt pretty bad to remove it.  My buddy used a pair of tweezers (lucky he had them, we were on a fishing trip) to rip it out.  The skin on my shoulder was stretched 6" off my shoulder, the thing did not want to let go. Ill see if I can dig up a picture.