27 replies to this topic

#1 Cyphus

Cyphus

Sunfish

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 08:41 PM

Hey Guy's

Looks like I'm heading to Scugog on tuesday to take my buddy fishing for the first time and I'm wondering if there are any Pike in there? I know there's Musky, Bass, Walleye, and some other species, but obviously musky and bass are OOS so I don't wanna poach.

#2 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 09:40 PM

no pike in scugog, just musky for big toothy critters

#3 salmotrutta

salmotrutta

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 10:50 PM

There are pike in Scugog, near the grocery store in Port Perry is one spot, and probably everywhere else in the lake too. 

#4 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 11:07 PM

There are pike in Scugog, near the grocery store in Port Perry is one spot, and probably everywhere else in the lake too. 

unless they were dropped there or came in from sturgeon lake, there are no pike in scugog, the musky population is too high for pike to establish.

there are only 10 species that are known to inhabit scugog, heres the list

http://scugoglakeste...scugog-fishing/

#5 salmotrutta

salmotrutta

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 11:19 PM

the musky population is too high for pike to establish.

This is unfortunately not true, pike are a threat to muskie wherever both species are present.

"Routine index netting and creel surveys have collected single specimens of northern pike and tiger muskellunge (pike-muskellunge hybrids) on Pigeon Lake and Lake Scugog.

The presence of the northern pike – muskellunge (E. masquinongy) hybrid, the tiger muskellunge, E. masquinongy X E. lucius, has also been confirmed in Lake Scugog, Balsam and Pigeon Lakes (Deacon 1996; OMNR unpublished data).

Pike are suspected to have a detrimental impact on muskellunge populations due primarily to direct predation of young-of-year (YOY) muskellunge by YOY northern pike, as pike gain a size advantage due to earlier spawning (Harrison and Hadley 1978; Inskip and Magnuson 1983; Osterberg 1985; Dombeck et al. 1986; Inskip and Magnuson 1986; Wahl 1989; Wahl and Stein 1993; Monfette et al. 1995)."

Google "5.0 MUSKELLUNGE AND NORTHERN PIKE MANAGEMENT STRATEGY" for the document it's actually stemming from OFF. 

#6 Cyphus

Cyphus

Sunfish

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 07:55 PM

LOLOLOLOL I think Salmotrutta just slapped y'all with some knowledge.

I know that pike are bad for a musky population. Pike spawn earlier, are large enough to decimate the musky yearlings = no bueño. I generally fish for pike, and don't want to target OOS fish, so I'll just have to switch up my game. I know Scugog is really a boat lake, but we don't have one so its gonna be a shore game anyways. Any tips? Generally I bridle under a big thill bobber for spring pike, but doesn't look like I can do that.

#7 Cyphus

Cyphus

Sunfish

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 08:02 PM

PS, thanks for the link FrequentFlyer, was interesting.

#8 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 11:32 PM

LOLOLOLOL I think Salmotrutta just slapped y'all with some knowledge.

I know that pike are bad for a musky population. Pike spawn earlier, are large enough to decimate the musky yearlings = no bueño. I generally fish for pike, and don't want to target OOS fish, so I'll just have to switch up my game. I know Scugog is really a boat lake, but we don't have one so its gonna be a shore game anyways. Any tips? Generally I bridle under a big thill bobber for spring pike, but doesn't look like I can do that.

not really, my sources are people that not only live on the lake year round, they fish it daily year round, and have the entire lake GPS'd for every hole that fish hide for the last 40 years

IF, and thats a big IF, there pike in scugog, they are very very few.  like i said, the ONLY way pike can enter that lake, is to either come down through sturgeon lake, be transported there by someone, or have eggs transported there via water fowl

#9 fishing89

fishing89

Perch

• Active Members
  • 582 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 11:58 PM

Fished that lake for a couple years,not a single pike caught.

On the other hand, a lake 15 min from my house got me a beauty female pike with a bass in her belly :)

#10 Cyphus

Cyphus

Sunfish

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 08:07 PM

not really, my sources are people that not only live on the lake year round, they fish it daily year round, and have the entire lake GPS'd for every hole that fish hide for the last 40 years

IF, and thats a big IF, there pike in scugog, they are very very few.  like i said, the ONLY way pike can enter that lake, is to either come down through sturgeon lake, be transported there by someone, or have eggs transported there via water fowl

ha ha, I'm just giving you guys a bit of a ribbing, I honestly don't think there are pike in there, but i'm sure it's possible.

#11 alwayscatching

alwayscatching

Smallmouth Bass

• Moderators
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 08:51 PM

I will say this, it is very possible for pike to be in there. Although I do not want that to happen, it has already happened on Rice Lake. I have seen someone catch a pike near the hastings end of Rice. I personally fish Scugog all the time and its one of my favorite lakes because I can throw a frog or toss a creature bait all day. Fortunately I have not seen on there yet.

#12 Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey

Sunfish

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 09:19 PM

Since pike inhabit the Great Lakes, then they will eventually get into any lake that links to either the Trent-Severn canal or the Rideau canal. Not much we can do to stop them. I would sooner have pike than carp, they are truly an invasive species that causes more destruction than pike will.

#13 buckhorn-bassin

buckhorn-bassin

Sunfish

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 09:53 PM

I fish scugog at some point every summer for a week and have never run into a pike yet. I fish the scugog river end of the lake mostly too.

#14 IR4J

IR4J

Perch

• Active Members
  • 884 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 10:32 PM

As someone who fishes scugog 2-4 times a week I can tell you that pike are starting to trickle in through the trent. We have been catching increasing numbers a year over the past 5 or so. Not big numbers by any means but enough to see that the population has increased from 0, we actually caught one through the ice this year. 

#15 caygeonkid

caygeonkid

Earthworm

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 10:58 PM

Born and raised on Pigeon Lake..have fished it for over 65 years and my father was a fishing guide on both Pigeon and Sturgeon Lakes for 25 years.  I have NEVER seen or caught a pike on either lake in my lifetime nor heard of one being caught.  Fish Pigeon Lake 5 days a week and still no pike reported being caught.  Agree they are not good for the muskies and Balsam now has a lot of them but I would at this time question them being in Pigeon but it is only a matter of time I suspect.

#16 alwayscatching

alwayscatching

Smallmouth Bass

• Moderators
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 10:59 PM

As someone who fishes scugog 2-4 times a week I can tell you that pike are starting to trickle in through the trent. We have been catching increasing numbers a year over the past 5 or so. Not big numbers by any means but enough to see that the population has increased from 0, we actually caught one through the ice this year. 

Thanks IR4J! I knew they were hiding in there for sure. I was surprised when I saw the size of the pike in Rice last year. Easily a 30+ inch fish.

#17 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 08:57 AM

I visit scugog twice, thrice a year. Never run into pike...yet and if I ever do, he's coming home with me. But so far...there are other stuff that would raise concern regarding the fishery there...check the causeway during summer and you will know what i'm talking about.

#18 alwayscatching

alwayscatching

Smallmouth Bass

• Moderators
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 01:16 PM

I visit scugog twice, thrice a year. Never run into pike...yet and if I ever do, he's coming home with me. But so far...there are other stuff that would raise concern regarding the fishery there...check the causeway during summer and you will know what i'm talking about.

Especially on walleye opener? lol!

#19 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 07:43 PM

I'll believe it when I either see a picture with an undoubtedly recognizable scugog background, or I am present for the catch of one.  But as of now, all pike claims are either musky or tiger musky

#20 alwayscatching

alwayscatching

Smallmouth Bass

• Moderators
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 09:56 PM

How do you think you get a Tiger Musky?