Photo

The under rated brawlers of the shallows (channel cats)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ctcanadian1

Ctcanadian1

Earthworm

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 02:46 AM

Hey guys, I have been browsing some feeds about catfish and had noticed everyone has the same thoughts on these wonderful fish, tere not something worth targeting, and are somewhat of an annoyance
Both statements are not true, I was raised in catching cats as a child, big cats, reaching 15 pounds, as a kid this was such a thrill and even today when I set the hook on a 6 pounder, it's the same thrill, same rush but always a different fights, they give bit head shake, long runs and they are just in general a great fighting fish, pound for pound most likely the best (sorry bass guys)
There an amazing game fish and I target them whenever I get the chance too

#2 Shmogley

Shmogley

Luck is one of my skills!

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 08:46 PM

catfish fight real hard for their size. what they lack in acrobatics they make up for in pure strength. i wont go as far as saying pound for pound they are the strongest though ;)

theres a few guys here who love to fish them (myself included the odd time) but you are right about the bad attitude some people have. almost the same thing you see with carp

#3 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 09:15 PM

I agree, cats are a lot of fun, especially the big ones. I got one fresh from lake erie last spring that was at least 20lbs (dont have a scale) and it burned line like crazy. Gotta love the rod buckling over and heading straight for the water at 50mph lol.

#4 Ctcanadian1

Ctcanadian1

Earthworm

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 09:49 AM

Oh idc about carp they suck lol but ya the bad attitude towards cats being a garbage fish is not good

#5 DitchWizard

DitchWizard

Perch

• Active Members
  • 693 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 11:29 AM

If you want a hard fighting fish target carp most of them fight harder than cats and where I fish cats they are not looked down on, you can eat the big Huron ones lots of people target them.