Photo

Best Place To Fish In Canada(from shore)

Fishing In Canada

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 GeoffL

GeoffL

Earthworm

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 10:54 PM

I'm hoping someone can help me out. I'm looking for the best place(s) to fish in Canada. The basics are, I have 8 days. Will be traveling by car, no boat. Willing to go anywhere I can get in that 8 days. I live in Sudbury.  Prefer not to spend money on renting a boat but optional if someone really recommends it.

The answers to the above would be appreciated. If anyone has the time and will to give me more answers to the rest of this that would be just bonus...

If someone could recommend a good rod/reel for fishing from shore...mostly locally I get pike...some bass and walleye if that helps with recommendations. I love fishing but am not very good and because of where I live maybe fish once a week(again from shore). Anything else people could recommend would be appreciated, equipment or otherwise. I realize like many things you may have a lot of questions to help narrow down what to recommend...but bare with me, I'm new to this but love it.

I tried searching google and this forum for answers or similar topics but couldn't find any.

#2 Paulie

Paulie

Sunfish

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 12:38 AM

Drive 4 days north of wherever you are and find the closest body of water. Fishing should be at least 10x better than what it is down here. Lol (especially Pike).

#3 BearInTheWoods

BearInTheWoods

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 09:31 AM

Lol maybe I'm missing something but I'm in the GTA and think that would be like me asking does anyone know of any places where I can fish shoulder to shoulder?

Also if he drives 4 days north he will end up in the Hudson Bay :)

#4 flowerjohn

flowerjohn

Sunfish

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 09:34 AM

Lol maybe I'm missing something but I'm in the GTA and think that would be like me asking does anyone know of any places where I can fish shoulder to shoulder?
Also if he drives 4 days north he will end up in the Hudson Bay :)

Also, if he only has eight days then he wont have any time to fish because its gonna take him another four days to get back. Lol.

#5 Paulie

Paulie

Sunfish

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 01:46 PM

Lol lol. Ok drive 2 days North, spend 4 fishing and drive 2 days back.

Seriously though the Pike fishing where you are should be way better than down here in the GTA!

I have a trailer on a lake about 2 hours south of you (Lake Manitouwabing) and there's some pretty nice trophy Pike in there (along with Bass, Walleye and Lakers). Here's a 17lbs I caught 2 years ago and it's nothing compared to the 20lbs+ I've seen people pullout of there.

Attached Images

• image.jpg

#6 flowerjohn

flowerjohn

Sunfish

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 02:20 PM

Lol lol. Ok drive 2 days North, spend 4 fishing and drive 2 days back.

Seriously though the Pike fishing where you are should be way better than down here in the GTA!

I have a trailer on a lake about 2 hours south of you (Lake Manitouwabing) and there's some pretty nice trophy Pike in there (along with Bass, Walleye and Lakers). Here's a 17lbs I caught 2 years ago and it's nothing compared to the 20lbs+ I've seen people pullout of there.

X2 Pauli. I drive three hours north from TO to fish in the Whitestone area plenty to keep everyone occupied. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436725152.605516.jpg

If I'm making the trek to the city to fish I'm hitting Lake Ontario for summer salmon and using a guide. Well worth the money. Cheers.

#7 Newfoundbound

Newfoundbound

Earthworm

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 03:44 PM

Another thing to consider is renting/purchasing a kayak or canoe, and accessing those secluded areas inaccessible by shore. I am moving up to a kayak for fun and exercise, after years of bank fishing. You get tired of the shoulder to shoulder after awhile. I can start almost anywhere off of the grand river and spend my day floating down to where my lovely wife could pick me up later in the day. I can get to places that only an unmotorized boat could go. Not to mention places that don't allow engines.

And to be play tug of war with a fish in his habitat, to be pulled through the water by your prey is an awesome feeling. Especially when comes into the boat.

#8 Alfiegee

Alfiegee

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 02:29 AM

When I saw the title of this thread, best places to fish in canada I thought I would have to start writing a novel.

With 50, I mean 29 years of fishing this beautiful country of ours from coast to coast, you are never far from a best place to fish.

I live in Hamilton, I wish my biggest problem was to live in Sudbury and not be sure where to fish.

But GeoffL, something that is often said on this forum is do the leg work. I'm not talking about walking aimlessly in the bush. Use your internet and search for logging roads, some of the best places can be found on these roads. Not sure what you drive, some of these roads can be rough. If you are near Sudbury, I would suggest checking out the Temagami or Soo regions.Elliot Lake has a lot of Pike nearby.

Also you are not far from the French River. I would recommend renting a boat there, but camping is free, there is so much crown land.

Alfie.

#9 DitchWizard

DitchWizard

Perch

• Active Members
  • 693 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 10:35 AM

The area you live in has good fishing overall, although if you head a few hours north there is slightly less fishing pressure. I drive 11 hours to go fish a 5 or so hours north of you and it would be considered amazing by southern ontario standards but there is better fishing even further north that. If big pike and big number are what you are after you should head to somewhere like Attawapiskat 

#10 flowerjohn

flowerjohn

Sunfish

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 02:07 PM

We head up a few times into metachewan

#11 flowerjohn

flowerjohn

Sunfish

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 02:08 PM

Matachewan. The pike are so big I'm afraid to get in the water. Lol.

#12 Knuguy

Knuguy

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 996 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 03:15 PM

I think the OPs post is  a bit of a joke. Living in Sudbury and asking about spots to fish?? Wow! Most of us would dream of having the Sudbury area's lakes in rivers so close by.If the post was about Hamilton, for e.g., I'd understand it a bit better! This is his first post and he hasn't check back in 3 weeks.

#13 Bow Man

Bow Man

Smallmouth Bass

• Banned
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 05:52 PM

Niagara River.

#14 FishNorth

FishNorth

Earthworm

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 07:27 PM

I agree with knuguy, the part of Sudbury I live in has at least 5 lakes with fish that I can launch my boat on within a half hour drive of my house. Not to mention the dozens of small lakes and ponds I can access with my atv or 4x4 for an afternoon of shore fishing with the kids.

#15 flowerjohn

flowerjohn

Sunfish

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 07:43 PM

We been chumped!! Lol.

#16 RiverStevens

RiverStevens

Sunfish

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 02:54 AM

Um.. Sudbury sure. PM me if ya wanna go out. Lol.. am I going to eat my shirt?