• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 flyingflyfisher

flyingflyfisher

Earthworm

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 10:33 AM

Hi everyone, so I've stated tying with CDC more and more recently, and now I'm all out of feathers... I just love how versatile it is as a material and I've really noticed a difference in my success, especially with my dry flies this year. The only thing I don't like about it is the cost! I'll be going duck and goose hunting this fall and I want to harvest some feathers. I wanted to know if anyone has ever harvested CDC and how to do it properly to get a quality material similar to what is sold in store and online. Not thinking of dying the feathers or anything, just want to get the feathers nice and clean for tying. The waterfowl we go after is blue wing teal, malard and snow geese with the occasional canada geese.

#2 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 11:08 AM

Using wild birds, you won't get anything near what they sell in stores or online, the birds are bred specifically for their genetics and their long feathers

#3 flyingflyfisher

flyingflyfisher

Earthworm

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 04:08 PM

Thanks, makes sense I guess. Still gonna give it a try since I've got nothing to lose but time. Found this article that kinda explains it, I think I'll do that and see how it compares with the commercial stuff.
http://3brothersflie...hers-on-a-duck/