• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 fenwickfisher

fenwickfisher

Sunfish

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 03:39 PM

Ive read that female tricos will hatch early in the morning and males will hatch in the evening. My question is do most people still use an all black/white wing pattern or do you use a lighter colour to match the female body....has anybody found that it matters on such a small fly (assuming im fishing the morning hatch)

#2 rybak

rybak

Sunfish

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 12:41 AM

I have gotten skunked trying to match trico a couple of times this month. Not only was I unprepared, but also without the proper fly on hand. I did my best with a size 16 baetis dun, but it was simply awful. I got schooled by the picky fish. I visited a shop in Fergus and asked what's up and I picked up a couple of black body + white wing and light body + white wing tricos and they seem to work well.  I also resorted to using really light 5x or 6x lines and a light 3W rod to make softer presentations.

I noticed that the fish were literally leaping out and above the surface to get the insects and it was mostly happening in flat water, either right after a riffle or before a riffle.

Both color variations worked fairly well.

#3 Kit

Kit

Canadian River Angler

• Premium Account

• 1,895 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 11:27 AM

I rarely fish a Trico hatch. I'm not very keen on trying to keep an eye on a fly smaller then your pinky nail. But if I had to I would mostly fish a female.. But if the hatch is so heavy its not gonna matter, fish loose their sense of whats what and just hit whatever looks like they are eating.

#4 fenwickfisher

fenwickfisher

Sunfish

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 01:25 PM

I rarely fish a Trico hatch. I'm not very keen on trying to keep an eye on a fly smaller then your pinky nail. But if I had to I would mostly fish a female.. But if the hatch is so heavy its not gonna matter, fish loose their sense of whats what and just hit whatever looks like they are eating.

Lol fishing that small of a fly is not the tricky part(although most definitely challenging). The hard part is tying one...ever try to tie a size 28 dry? Its so small its ridiculous.

#5 Kit

Kit

Canadian River Angler

• Premium Account

• 1,895 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 01:29 PM

Nope don't have the patience. Rather buy one lol.