18 replies to this topic

#1 Jforza

Jforza

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 04:35 PM

Hi Guys,

Just joined this forum, but have been watching it for a year now and finally decided to contribute.

I live near London, Ontario and have been venturing around from Strathroy, Delaware, London, Dorchester and Arkona area to see what fishing is good where.

My home town is Fort Frances , Ontario..... very close to lake of the woods and the best fishing there ever was as a kid.

I moved to SW Ontario at 13 and moved out to Victoria, BC at 23 where I started fishing again.

Obviously since moving back to SW Ontario I've been trying to find the best spots around for different species.

I've read as many reports as I can for this area but have found it's limited or dated sometimes.

SOOOOO...... tonight i'll make a report of The Mill Pond in Dorchester..  and start helping Anglers in my area with whatever information I can give based on what I find.

FYI, I fish 3-6 days a week after work and weekends and had a great experience last year getting my feet wet with Carp and Catfishin' as that was something new for me.

I enjoy bass, pike, walleye, perch, trout, crappie, bluegill fishing as well. So you will find reports on all of the above as I make the time this year and going forward.

Not a pro, just an enthusiast so don't crucify me :)

-John

#2 chasingfish

chasingfish

Sunfish

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 05:21 PM

Welcome Jon. Nice write up.

#3 staffman

staffman

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 07:25 PM

Great intro John !

#4 artimus001

artimus001

Sunfish

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 10:02 AM

welcome to the site. i'm a London angler as well. not to rain on your parade, but please try to keep spot info down to a minimum. it might only be the Thames, but i wouldn't want to see everyone and their brother jumping our favourite holes, lol.

#5 flowerjohn

flowerjohn

Sunfish

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 10:34 AM

Hi John. Welcome to the forum. I'm pretty new here as well. I look forward to your reports since I used to fish quite a bit as a college boy in London. I'm sure you and I have fished many of the same places just thirty years apart and your post has brought back some great memories. Cheers and I look forward to your posts. John.

#6 Berg

Berg

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 12:09 AM

I fished at this spot quite a bit last summer. There are a few bridges off of which you can sight fish for small bass and panfish which can be real fun. I've also seen some decent suckers and carp in here, and  a friend of mine caught a decent pike as well. 

#7 Jforza

Jforza

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 12:18 PM

welcome to the site. i'm a London angler as well. not to rain on your parade, but please try to keep spot info down to a minimum. it might only be the Thames, but i wouldn't want to see everyone and their brother jumping our favourite holes, lol.

Hey Guys, thanks for all the support :) i'll make sure I keep my information to minimum here as to location and what have you as I know there are covetted spots around this neck of the woods.

In terms of fishing Dorchester, have been the last few nights only totaling a few hours but i'm a die hard so every minute is great.

Caught 2 Largies, one of which was a big as my 3/0 worm hook rigged into a plastic worm :)

Including all the cabbage I pulled up with the one, he weighed 1/2 pound :)

Beautiful evening fishing though.

If anyone wants to join me on some trips around london area, let me know and I'm sure we can arrange something.

Nice group of guys I must say :)

Bent rods for all

-John

#8 artimus001

artimus001

Sunfish

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 04:28 PM

sounds like your having a blast. great job on keeping the details on the down low ;) that is a large pond ;)

there is a stretch of the Thames on the North branch that has a good 600m of interconnected pools. you can catch smallies, sheephead (first one ever on a fly last week!!), carp, suckers........ the usual Thames fare. once you figure out the features, it is a barrel of fun!! p/m if you want details.

now where i find trout in the near London region are secrets that will die with me, lol.

#9 Jforza

Jforza

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 09:38 AM

sounds like your having a blast. great job on keeping the details on the down low ;) that is a large pond ;)

there is a stretch of the Thames on the North branch that has a good 600m of interconnected pools. you can catch smallies, sheephead (first one ever on a fly last week!!), carp, suckers........ the usual Thames fare. once you figure out the features, it is a barrel of fun!! p/m if you want details.

now where i find trout in the near London region are secrets that will die with me, lol.

was out last night on the thames near dorchester.... 1 rock bass just over a pound and lost the second one half way in :) not bad for after work fishing :)

sounds like you've got some ideas i might like :)

if you care to share some with me.... great but no expectations as i like finding them too :)

I have lots of trout stuff packed in a another box... used to go out west a bit but didnt quite get it sorted.... maybe we can go sometime, i'd like to learn more about trout fishing as i know its an art :) like fly fishing- congrats on snagging a sheephead on a fly!

#10 Jforza

Jforza

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 04:30 PM

little update to this thread :)

Was out yesterday from 2pm till 7pm and had 4 large mouth bass on the bank.

2 were about 1lb and 1 under 1lb and 1 @ 3lbs!

flipping in and around the weedbeds or just in front of using various plastic worms/sticks mostly gulp brand..... was a nice afternoon :)

#11 artimus001

artimus001

Sunfish

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 06:54 PM

little update to this thread :)

Was out yesterday from 2pm till 7pm and had 4 large mouth bass on the bank.

2 were about 1lb and 1 under 1lb and 1 @ 3lbs!

flipping in and around the weedbeds or just in front of using various plastic worms/sticks mostly gulp brand..... was a nice afternoon :)

it sounds like you are getting that piece of water figured out :)

#12 Jforza

Jforza

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 11:55 AM

it sounds like you are getting that piece of water figured out :)

- working on it bud..... has been a good year just checking spots out. next year will be gang busters..... maybe lol

#13 artimus001

artimus001

Sunfish

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 10:35 AM

- working on it bud..... has been a good year just checking spots out. next year will be gang busters..... maybe lol

we all have to cut our teeth sometime :)

you seem to primarily be a pond guy at this point. i would suggest getting a personal watercraft of some type. the shoreline around Mill Pond is 2.5 km alone, let alone the rest of the ponds in the area.

we both seemed to have been too busy this summer to get out and fish together. hopefully the fall season will be better. do you have waders?

#14 Jforza

Jforza

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 04:11 PM

we all have to cut our teeth sometime :)

you seem to primarily be a pond guy at this point. i would suggest getting a personal watercraft of some type. the shoreline around Mill Pond is 2.5 km alone, let alone the rest of the ponds in the area.

we both seemed to have been too busy this summer to get out and fish together. hopefully the fall season will be better. do you have waders?

agreed :)

I do really enjoy pond fishing for sure, and suprisingly enough i have an inflatable voyageur (fishing spec w/ rod holder) boat for just those circumstances, although ive only used it a handful of times due to having to inflate and deflate :) ill probably use it on the mill pond at some point, has only seen sharon creek and a lake out west before :)

summer has been busy but i'll try and make time over the next month to get in the last of seasons fishing and hopefully we can link up.

I have hip waders and my sisters bf has insulated chest waders i can borrow until i get my own, i was supposed to get some but didnt end up biting the bullet :)

-look forward to meeting up and slaying some fish 

#15 Gunner555

Gunner555

Earthworm

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 08:31 PM

New to this forum. Just fished Mill Pond for the first time last week. Caught a 3 plus lb'er. You still having luck there? this has been my first season fishing seriously and go fishing around twice a week. Wondering what general areas you hit around london area? I know you dont like givin specifics but a general idea will help! Always lookin for other people to fish with as well

#16 artimus001

artimus001

Sunfish

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 06:14 PM

New to this forum. Just fished Mill Pond for the first time last week. Caught a 3 plus lb'er. You still having luck there? this has been my first season fishing seriously and go fishing around twice a week. Wondering what general areas you hit around london area? I know you dont like givin specifics but a general idea will help! Always lookin for other people to fish with as well

@Gunner: do you have an inflatable of any sort?

#17 Jforza

Jforza

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 10:38 AM

i haven't been out to the pond lately which is sorta a shame since my work is 5 min from it. its been pretty dreary lately most days and getting off near 6 until the time change tommorow has made it a little rough for an afterwork fishing session but i'm hoping to get out there a few more times this year. let me know if you want to link up..

that and i've been having a bout of salmonoid insanity lately.... no cure for it ive found yet :)

#18 artimus001

artimus001

Sunfish

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 11:04 AM

"that and i've been having a bout of salmonoid insanity lately.... no cure for it ive found yet :)"

you'll have a fever till you catch your first; from there the fever only gets worse. during the off season it will abate, but it is still there. fishing buddies can be quickly and unsuspectingly infected by a great picture, story, or video. there is no cure.

if i was to compare it to a true human disease, the only one that fit would be Herpes. it comes and goes, but is always there. some times of the year, it is worse than others. it can be passed onto unsuspected friends. there is no cure........

#19 Jforza

Jforza

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 11:32 AM

"if i was to compare it to a true human disease, the only one that fit would be Herpes."

that is fffing hilarious.... haahaha

someone recently sent me a pictures of ADFD .... Attention Deficit Fishing Disorder..... yours was funnier tho Art...