• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 02:55 PM

Well it certainly didn’t come easy, after getting skunked on four outings last year I finally found some success trolling from my kayak on Lake Ontario. To be honest I was pretty shocked when I saw the tell tale sign of a Salmon pulling on the trolling rod, adrenaline immediately kicked in and my heart rate must have doubled. When the second one hit I was even more in shock.

Trolling out of the Mariner 12.5 by Native Watercraft is luxurious. Having your hands free to control the rudder, check your phone or whatever is a nice perk and makes a long day much more enjoyable. I still have some tweaking to do on the rudder to get it working properly but even with it functioning the way it was I still seemed to have no problem getting my speed right. The addition of a sonar and a proper reel with a line counter were definitely big contributors to my success but a lot of the credit has to still go to the Mariner.

I was kicking myself for not buying a derby ticket as these fish were definitely pushing close to the weights needed to get on to the weekly leaderboard. I had one last year, but with the wedding this year right in the middle of the derby I didn’t think I was going to be able to get out enough. Next year I will definitely be ready to go and give it a good run.

Too bad I didn’t have a great angle for the GoPro, I have some videos too but with the camera so close to me its hard to get a good idea of what’s going on. I have some ideas for a better mount for next time that will get a good shot of the strike on the rod.

Salmons_zps66174069.jpg

G0053306_zpsc76a2240.jpg

#2 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 03:18 PM

nice dude!  do you have a motor on that, or are you paddling?

#3 Berg

Berg

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 03:28 PM

Awesome fish man! If people on the forum weren't completely psyched for salmon fishing, they are now! Looked up that kayak, looks like a beauty, seems perfect for trolling. How do you feel out on the big water?

#4 BearInTheWoods

BearInTheWoods

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 03:29 PM

BEAST

#5 PUMP KNOWS

PUMP KNOWS

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 03:53 PM

Nice catches Nado!  What did they smash?

#6 NADO

NADO

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 04:58 PM

I was peddling not paddling, 5.5k off shore before I started getting into the action. Im liking the kayak a lot, I felt a little bit more stable in the ocean kayak but thats to be expected with the raised seat and weight from the drive system. 

Pump they both hit a fly behind a spin doctor and a dipsy.

#7 jc53

jc53

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 05:40 PM

Nice going Nado
i would be extremely careful staying close to shore. I guy i know on another board was not as lucky.

#8 flowerjohn

flowerjohn

Sunfish

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 06:37 PM

Nice fishes dude. Congrats!!

#9 AKnook

AKnook

Perch

• Active Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 07:32 PM

Great looking fish!

#10 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 08:26 PM

You look like durrrrrrr in the first picture

#11 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 09:44 PM

Durrrrr lmao. You can buy a one day ticket for 40 bucks. Must buy online the day before by 8pm and print. Nice feesh

#12 NADO

NADO

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 12:47 AM

I'm gonna get one for this weekend, I should have I know but what can you do. I was shocked I caught anything, let alone two tanks like those. I got around to editing the second video, fair warning its a whole lotta staring at me and the reel.

#13 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 06:44 AM

Durrrrr durrrrr durrrrr all throughout the video

#14 staffman

staffman

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 09:08 AM

Congratulations catching a couple of beauties.

#15 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 09:43 AM

Nice life vest Nado. very underrated but best bang for your buck.  need to get my kayak out in Lake O but still too novice to go alone.

#16 flandogg

flandogg

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 09:56 AM

Nice fish! Hard work and persistence pays off! 5.5k off shore peddling?!? You got ice in your veins haha. Stay safe!

#17 NADO

NADO

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 10:56 AM

lol screw you Mike.

Dilligaf I need to get a new one that one is so uncomfortable, the seat pushes it up against my neck so its like i'm wearing a neck brace.

Flandogg where have ya been? You have to be the 10th person to show concern for my personal safety lol. I assure you guys that while it may be a bit risky I feel much safer in a kayak that can't sink than some of the smaller and older boats that venture out there. If they have an engine failure in rough water they are in big trouble.

#18 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 11:30 AM

they have a good deal at CT for a body glove. $49.99. I bought a buoy o boy for $15. lol. as long as it keeps me floating. heck yes. I do have an extra vest with me. how's the water out there? I have never kayaked outside Lake O yet. just inside the bay or marina. I'm novice on this so I don't know how I will handle bigger waves....I might try soon without rods first. 

#19 NADO

NADO

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 11:59 AM

it was a bit rough last weekend but nothing too crazy, i've been out there in some pretty gnarly rollers. The big risk I find when being out on a big lake isn't getting tipped by a wave or anything like that, its getting back to shore when you are way out there and a strong off shore wind picks up. I had some killer workouts last year when I got caught in some high winds, thats one of the main reasons I bought the propel. Its much easier now to power through the wind and if its really bad I can even peddle and paddle at the same time.

#20 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 12:21 PM

Durrrrr durrrrr durrrrr all throughout the video

Hahahhahhahaha

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Salmon, Lake Ontario