#1 ihtus

ihtus

Sunfish

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 03:00 PM

Hi everyone,

I am new on this amazing forum.

Is it appropriate to create a topic that would include a map with fishing spots ?

Any user would be able to place his/her spot on the google map, so others can see it.

The reason I am asking is because there could be very few people that would share this precious info, is that amount zero? Does it make sense to create such a map?

Thanks

#2 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 03:26 PM

no, this forum is publicly viewable, that type of info needs to kept quiet, in fact, its a the top of the forums, no naming of rivers or creeks, which you have done in another post.

The reason for this is simple, being publicly searchable, places like google and yahoo, it opens up the possibility of spot burning, ie, you say x creek is hot, next thing you know, theres 50 guys fishing your spot next time you're out.

currently there are 21 members online, and 1500 'guests'  ie lurkers and leeches looking for this kind of info

#3 Alfiegee

Alfiegee

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 03:37 PM

First, welcome to the forum brother.

As to creating a map, I would say no. If it involved any Steelhead or Salmon locations it would be a direct violation of the forum rules and mods would be all over deleting it. Also if any members did see it before it was deleted they would certainly tare a strip or 2 off you. There are so many lurkers on a forum like this you would be putting your fishing spots up for grabs to literally 1000's of eyes which could ruin a good spot in no time.

I have been a member of this forum for a number of years and we have a good PM system on which I have shared spots with other members and they have in return shared info with me, away from prying eyes. I grew up before the internet and found my places thru leg work, let others do the same. It is in fact half of the attraction of fishing.

Alfie.

#4 ihtus

ihtus

Sunfish

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 03:39 PM

First, welcome to the forum brother.

As to creating a map, I would say no. If it involved any Steelhead or Salmon locations it would be a direct violation of the forum rules and mods would be all over deleting it. Also if any members did see it before it was deleted they would certainly tare a strip or 2 off you. There are so many lurkers on a forum like this you would be putting your fishing spots up for grabs to literally 1000's of eyes which could ruin a good spot in no time.

I have been a member of this forum for a number of years and we have a good PM system on which I have shared spots with other members and they have in return shared info with me, away from prying eyes. I grew up before the internet and found my places thru leg work, let others do the same. It is in fact half of the attraction of fishing.

Alfie.

totally agree!

sorry for creating this useless topic. mods please delete it.

#5 Alfiegee

Alfiegee

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 04:10 PM

totally agree!

sorry for creating this useless topic. mods please delete it.

Not totally useless. I didn't know FF had replied when I made my reply, and we both said much the same thing, but any new comers to the forum who read this topic may get a better understanding of the rules and why they are in place.

As I said tho PM works well. Actually I met a forum member last year and he took me to a spot where I caught my 2 PB Lakers, my biggest 'eye and my PB Brown. I have in return taken guys to a good spot I know for Smallies, Cats and he caught his PB 'eye.

No harm in asking. Glad you did it first.

Alfie.

#6 flowerjohn

flowerjohn

Sunfish

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 04:25 PM

Hi ihtus . There is a phone app called fishbrain where I have seen many people input the location of their catches. The site is essentially a database but you can choose whether or not to give the location of your catch. My buddies and I use it quite a bit and it can give an analysis of activity in an area by time of day, season and type of bait used etc. cheers.

#7 Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey

Sunfish

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 04:21 PM

There are many spots that are so well known that there really would be no harm in sharing them. For instance, the biggest danger of telling someone to go to the base of the falls in Fenelon would be that they might get a hook in their ear from the hordes lining the wall. Ditto for the causeway on Mitchell Lake. Before posting, just give a thought to how well known it already is.

#8 chasingfish

chasingfish

Sunfish

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 04:25 PM

There are many spots that are so well known that there really would be no harm in sharing them. For instance, the biggest danger of telling someone to go to the base of the falls in Fenelon would be that they might get a hook in their ear from the hordes lining the wall. Ditto for the causeway on Mitchell Lake. Before posting, just give a thought to how well known it already is.

I disagree with your statement. You may think it's well known but a lot of people don't know. I've never even heard of the two places you referenced. And I took my fishing buddy to a place that I thought was "well known" and he also had never heard of it. I guess it depends on the circles you run in. First thing a new fisher is going to do is go on the Internet and Google "best place to fish for xyz" or something to that extent.

I'm all in for sharing spots and helping the community (esp newbies) but some things should not be posted online (although they all will be eventually).
Just my .5