• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 myspacedave

myspacedave

Sunfish

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 09:57 AM

So, firstly I must thank all of you who reached out to offer advice, hints, tips, tricks, jokes, and even the comments that didn't make sense, made me think. 

Secondly, I wanted to ask some more experienced anglers their opinions/beliefs (hopefully factual) on how the temperature, not necessarily the weather in general, but Degrees Celsius/Farenheit.

Last week we had some cool nights. I think it was around 12 or 14 for about 5 nights or so before it began heating up again. I read that this is something to look for as an indicator of a run/staging in lieu of rain, and it appears to be the case.

My question is if the temperature heats up again, and still no significant rainfall has dropped, which is what is happening this week, do the fish then move back farther out into the lake, or do they hold their positions and hug the mud?

The reason I'm asking is I don't have a boat. I unfortunately do not yet have the luxury to just go where the fish are. I have to wait for them to come to me... I bide my time with bass/pike/walleye season, but not the same. 

Oo! Another question just came to mind: Does the angle of retrieve affect the bite? It looks like the boaters were getting all the fish, leaving shore fisherman skunked. I know they have better depth control, but does the angle of retrieve affect the fish's willingness to strike? I guess it looks unnatural for fish to swim out of current. Any ideas to help with this? I was trying some methods that I selfishly don't wish to share for the general public, as the piers bring out the crazy in people, and my methods are often unorthodox. 

#2 ChasinTails

ChasinTails

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 11:09 AM

when it gets hot they move to deeper cooler water, but my way of thinking is that, the salmon know they need to make a run now, and its not getting any cooler, so their going to take a chance at even the slightest of temp drops because they don't know if they will get another window. And angle of retrieve doesn't really matter, the reason the boat guys are getting more lick is because they are in the deeper, cooler water, where the fish are.

#3 myspacedave

myspacedave

Sunfish

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 11:28 AM

I neglected to mention that they are trolling the harbour within casting range. I know... Downriggers :( but would that make all the difference? Is there any way I can rig up to stay in the strike zone?

#4 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 11:28 AM

when it gets hot they move to deeper cooler water, but my way of thinking is that, the salmon know they need to make a run now, and its not getting any cooler, so their going to take a chance at even the slightest of temp drops because they don't know if they will get another window. And angle of retrieve doesn't really matter, the reason the boat guys are getting more lick is because they are in the deeper, cooler water, where the fish are.

I don't think that's the case. That's the primary reason why Salmons get early or get late. It's not about urgency....they rely on instinct.If they sense when it is ideal..they will move up. Those that are already in the initial run or trickle...will look for deeper pools and probably have spawned already. They don't swim back. I've seen most of them under trees...and already dark.

#5 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 11:41 AM

I neglected to mention that they are trolling the harbour within casting range. I know... Downriggers :( but would that make all the difference? Is there any way I can rig up to stay in the strike zone?

Hi Dave, The only way you can stay longer in the strike zone is if you bottom bounce but you really have to know how. If you're just casting spoons...slow you're retrieve. same way if you're using deep down jointed husky jerks. the only problem I see is if you snag something heavy that will require you to cut your line. Husky Jerks and spoons will really burn a hole in your pocket. I used to enjoy casting early in the morning with glow spoons...but the amount of crowd that shows up where I fish now is really discouraging...and not enjoyable...plus my fishing time has been cut in half.

#6 myspacedave

myspacedave

Sunfish

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 11:46 AM

Thanks Dilligaf (your name reminds me of my dad, he used that expression often :) ) I pulled up a bag of mud one very early morning at the end of July. I guess I will try to slow retrieve a bit more. I've been varying things as much as possible. When I finally did hook up, I noticed it was with a lazy retrieve followed by a little drop. It hasn't worked since that, so I kept trying that as well as other speeds/depths. Hard to cast a few hundred times and try to pay attention to each variance, but I'm getting better at it. Practice makes it more second nature, as with most things.

#7 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 11:52 AM

NP...I'm loving suspending lures than fast sinking plugs. suspending lures usually sinks 1 ft by 2 seconds so it's a really slow drop. sometimes I cast it on harbours far out and sit for about 3 minutes before I start my retrieve. I don't usually go for salmon. just browns. I did try surf fishing last year with a friend and caught some salmon casting the lake O side.

#8 ChasinTails

ChasinTails

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 12:02 PM

I don't think that's the case. That's the primary reason why Salmons get early or get late. It's not about urgency....they rely on instinct.If they sense when it is ideal..they will move up. Those that are already in the initial run or trickle...will look for deeper pools and probably have spawned already. They don't swim back. I've seen most of them under trees...and already dark.

yea, that makes sense, I guess we should wait till it cools down and or rains, piers gonna be on fire 

#9 myspacedave

myspacedave

Sunfish

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 12:13 PM

The pier I've been on has been busy af the last 2 weekends. 

#10 ChromeAddict

ChromeAddict

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 03:07 PM

This heat sucks, hopefully still a few around the east piers this weekend?

#11 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 03:15 PM

guys...enjoy the heat while it's here. the salmons will come no doubt...plenty of bass to be had for now...

Attached Images

• bass.jpg

#12 jc53

jc53

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 03:35 PM

Imo slow rolling spoons are the best bet. Salmon chase until the last second to hit. I have seen many hits very close to shore.

#13 thebigchombowombocombo

thebigchombowombocombo

Sunfish

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 04:36 PM

Hi Dave, The only way you can stay longer in the strike zone is if you bottom bounce but you really have to know how. If you're just casting spoons...slow you're retrieve. same way if you're using deep down jointed husky jerks. the only problem I see is if you snag something heavy that will require you to cut your line. Husky Jerks and spoons will really burn a hole in your pocket. I used to enjoy casting early in the morning with glow spoons...but the amount of crowd that shows up where I fish now is really discouraging...and not enjoyable...plus my fishing time has been cut in half.

I agree on this. ALL of my hits have been me reeling slowly and lazily while thinking about random stuff not really paying attention. You may lose a lot of spoons doing this though.

Sometimes I'd reel my spoon in and have weed over the hooks. Maybe not that slow but you get the point

#14 Fishheads

Fishheads

Float Fishing Superstore

• Active Members
  • 754 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 09:24 PM

Dave,

A lot of responses already on the staging. As for the direction you retrieve, (just like in all aspects of fishing) if its not working, try something new. When I pier fish I fan cast (when I have the space to) a few times. Then vary speed. Then new lure and repeat. Its all about agility and versatility.... and with pier chucking especially ... persistence. If you are bombing casts out and doing the same retrieve, cast after cast, try varying your technique a bit and get ready to HOLD TIGHT !