• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jforza

Jforza

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 02:35 PM

A quick report of the Ausable River near Arkona, Ontario.

Was there yesterday afternoon from 3pm til 8:30ish (sundown).

I had to use my head-light to get back up the side of the bank back to my car :)

Well there were some bubbles.... lol

Gorgeous afternoon , but only one catch. A 5-6 inch bass that swallowed my 3/0 hook and plastic stick worm but was so small that when i set the hook, the rig turned sideways and "chip-munked" his mouth.

Only the very end of the hook point grazed the inside of his cheek.

It was pretty funny when i brought him up. :)

I wasn't just bass fishin' either. I switched up rods and threw some trout baits (roe & dough), also some corn for catfish or carp, but nothing having it.

I've caught catfish, carp and even a rainbow trout there in this spot, but for whatever reason, be it the warm weather, maybe bait selection, line, water quality/visibilty or the fish gods saying no.... it didn't work out.

That being said, ill be back again soon to try my luck, as its beautiful there especially in the evening hours.

#2 Berg

Berg

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 12:52 AM

Interesting. This river runs much closer to my area than many of the more popular rivers, but you never hear about it much. Guess that could be good or bad!

#3 Jforza

Jforza

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 01:59 PM

Was there again on Thanksgiving Monday, beautiful day i must say.

Got a smallie and sucker on a bobber and worm. :)

#4 joshschotts

joshschotts

Earthworm

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 08:43 PM

i was just there yesterday, we started at the rock glen falls, hiked all the way down the canyon to the bottom and there were fish jumping all over. didn't bring my gear cause i had never been before but ill be going back this weekend!!!

#5 Bowie

Bowie

Sunfish

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 08:54 PM

This river has been on my list but I haven't been out there yet. I'll have to give it a go sometime.