• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 chinooky

chinooky

Sunfish

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 02:50 PM

Last few outings I've been stymied by curious but non-committed fish. This has happened with float-fishing and also with different lures of various colours, sizes, and retrieve speeds. They look and may follow it but have been mostly passive.

I saw on a recent episode of River Monsters where Jeremy Wade resorted to making a tobacco sacrifice to finally break out of a slump and hook a muskie.

What have you guys done to trigger stubborn fish to strike?

#2 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2015 - 03:38 PM

Micro presentations. Try single egg 4lb leader least shot as possible. I myself try to avoid clear waters. If you can see the fish. The fish can see you.

#3 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2015 - 03:41 PM

Micro presentations. Try single egg 4lb leader least shot as possible. Myself I try to avoid clear waters. If you can see the fish . The fish can see you.

#4 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2015 - 03:42 PM

Micro presentations. Try single egg 4lb leader least shot as possible. Myself I try to avoid clear waters. If you can see the fish . The fish can see you.

#5 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 03:49 PM

I'll down size the presentation and either slow it down or speed it up.  That fish is interested and in the vicinity, act fast.  I get this a lot fishing brookies and splake in lakes.  Often times there will be a rod setup with a worm and float - fish get called in with spoons or whatever and often hit the worm setup.

If all else fails, figure 8!

#6 chinooky

chinooky

Sunfish

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 03:58 PM

I'll down size the presentation and either slow it down or speed it up. That fish is interested and in the vicinity, act fast. I get this a lot fishing brookies and splake in lakes. Often times there will be a rod setup with a worm and float - fish get called in with spoons or whatever and often hit the worm setup.

If all else fails, figure 8!

That's what Jeremy Wade did!

I'll down size next time. You are right with the lack of rain, waters have been low and clear.

#7 PUMP KNOWS

PUMP KNOWS

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 10:53 AM

What are you targeting?

#8 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 11:25 AM

specie dependent technique. i've caught musky & pike on figure 8 by the docks. hard to do it on shore because pike will spot you easy. Usually I let my lure sit bottom when I see a pike stalking it. it takes a lot of patience. If the pike doesn't move away. it will strike...it's just a matter of how long. If it swims away. re cast. Browns are different. if they strike they will chase all the way to striking it. no stalking. with browns you better not show up at all and faster retrieve works better. I've spot a lot of brown turns to hit a lure. mepps black fury #2 & #3 is my go to lure for browns...or streamers...

#9 chinooky

chinooky

Sunfish

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 12:21 PM

What are you targeting?

Mostly steels. This year I've experienced many follows at different places, right up to the shore. What's annoying is when they finally decide to nip, it is short of the hook.

Oh the stench

No cure but to try different suggestions when needed.

#10 christotheashto

christotheashto

Sunfish

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 12:35 PM

I personally wouldn't even bother fishing where you can see fish. Chances are there were many others before you doing the same thing and in turn spooking fish.

Find some deep pools, a nice green brackish colour, and drift those. You will be far more successful than trying to sight-fish wary steelhead and at the same time you will become much better at reading water and presenting your baits properly. I've never fished for bows where I could see 'em. Just no water like that around here.

#11 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM

I personally wouldn't even bother fishing where you can see fish. Chances are there were many others before you doing the same thing and in turn spooking fish.

Find some deep pools, a nice green brackish colour, and drift those. You will be far more successful than trying to sight-fish wary steelhead and at the same time you will become much better at reading water and presenting your baits properly. I've never fished for bows where I could see 'em. Just no water like that around here.

I disagree, fishing clear water refines your presentation techniques, those that can fish clear water are way more successful than those that can't, challenge yourself, and try to get those clear water strikes, light lines and small presentations are key

anyone can fish dirty water and be good at it

#12 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 03:50 PM

try to downsize the line. when I target steels. I don't go bigger than 4lb line. i'd use 2lb mono or 4lb fluoro. i don't do tandem on clear water. it's either roe, bead or fly. I like green water as well. but clear water won't discourage me. I also tend to give fish some break if they're not biting. I will just sit for about 15 - 20 minutes reading the behavior if I can spot them. they tend to go back to a holding spot after getting spooked. if someone wades upstream...that's cue for you to move to a different spot because the spooks them bigtime.

#13 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 03:56 PM

try to downsize the line. when I target steels. I don't go bigger than 4lb line. i'd use 2lb mono or 4lb fluoro. i don't do tandem on clear water. it's either roe, bead or fly. I like green water as well. but clear water won't discourage me. I also tend to give fish some break if they're not biting. I will just sit for about 15 - 20 minutes reading the behavior if I can spot them. they tend to go back to a holding spot after getting spooked. if someone wades upstream...that's cue for you to move to a different spot because the spooks them bigtime.

this for sure, understanding their behaviour is huge, if the fish has its tail up and not moving about, its not moving for anything, look for actively swimming fish to have the best shot at a hook up, most people will walk up to a spot and cast in blindly with out knowing whats going in it.  personally i'll stand back and watch the water for a couple minutes before taking my first cast, no activity means i move on.

but always start with the lights leader you're comfortable with, if the fish move when your bait passes, time to downsize cause they saw your line

#14 chinooky

chinooky

Sunfish

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 07:04 PM

I disagree, fishing clear water refines your presentation techniques, those that can fish clear water are way more successful than those that can't, challenge yourself, and try to get those clear water strikes, light lines and small presentations are key

anyone can fish dirty water and be good at it

#15 chinooky

chinooky

Sunfish

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 07:07 PM

Well this was the challenge this last weekend. I took this as a learning experience to see how they behaved. Mostly I was ignored but I did manage a couple of nibbles. How to increase that rate is the experiment.

#16 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 07:44 PM

Well this was the challenge this last weekend. I took this as a learning experience to see how they behaved. Mostly I was ignored but I did manage a couple of nibbles. How to increase that rate is the experiment.

your first drift has to be your best one, after that, they get more and more weary, also try to keep your silhouette to a minimum, that means crouching down low so the fish don't see you 

#17 Shmogley

Shmogley

Luck is one of my skills!

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 09:18 PM

i personally find if they follow it in to shore but then turn away its due to the current being slower near the bank. the action on the fly/lure changes when the current slows and they lose interest.

usually a very slow added retrieve the closer it gets to shore or a few hand pulls on the fly line will keep them interested the extra few moments it takes to get the fish to commit.

hopefully you figure out something that works for you bud, i know it can be really frustrating at times ;)