• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 classic drifter

classic drifter

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 08:16 PM

Hey fellas! My shimano clarus 13' just had its final boot last sunday, after roughly 2 years and a bit it served me well, some 4 day a week trips, the odd 10+ fish during prime days, and the almost 20 fish day that i have fishing for bows in the spring, all in all exellent rod, cant get warranty for it cause it was a gift from my uncle, and he does not have the receipt anymore, my question is, what would you fellas reccomend as a sucessor for this rod, nothing too expensive but i want somewhere within the lines of a little backbone, not too heavy, but flexy enough to tail a fish if needed, thanks in advance and tightlines to all of you!

#2 RiverRuns

RiverRuns

Sunfish

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 08:21 PM

Someone on kijiji has a Brand new Simax for sale for $120.00. The company has gone under so you won't have a warranty, but the Rod retailed for close to $300 a year ago. This rod is very light considering the amount of backbone it has. I have one; no trouble turning Sammies with it.

#3 classic drifter

classic drifter

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 09:12 PM

Thanks bud, i saw one at a local tackle store for 100 bucks or 2 for 150, LOL, i dont have a doubt it would turn salmies over with no problem, but my main "thing" is the actual weight of the rod, a little too heavy for me, i doubt that i would last a day fishing with it without taking like 5 breaks just to rest my arm, but thanks for the tip, i had that one in the selection list anyway,

#4 flandogg

flandogg

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 04:57 AM

I would still give it a shot and call shimano if you already haven't. You'd be surprised at the customer service with some of these fishing divisions/companies.

If you find yourself out of luck and still need a new rod then I have a Raven MXG. It's about $150-160 and worth every penny imo.

#5 flandogg

flandogg

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 05:04 AM

Forgot to mention IR4J is selling his float rod. Heard pretty good things about that model. Best part is it comes with a receipt with warranty lol

http://www.ontariofi...loset-clearing/

#6 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 07:19 AM

^^^ solid suggestions....if you're still on the fence....go for streamside if your main concern is weight of the rod and welcome to the otherside...

#7 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 07:40 AM

I have the 12.9 matrix. It's a great rod, tons of backbone. Too much if you're fishing sub 5 or 6lb leaders for steel because the tip is really stiff. Great for salmon or power fishing steel-not so great fishing light lines in clear water. I try to fish 8lb + leader with it. But that's just me, maybe others have done better fishing light lines.

The streamside is a good rod too, I have the 15'. The guides are cheap as well as the cork and the handle is about 5 inches too long for my liking. I find the finish on the blank chips like crazy, but that may be because I fish the niagara and its all rocks. Otherwise, the action is nice and is durable.

#8 classic drifter

classic drifter

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 11:08 PM

Thanks for all the input guys, whether shimano gives me a new rod or not, im going for another rod so the more input pros and cons the better, gagnons have a pretty decent selection of streamside rods, i really consider them,i consider a raven rod also, a little steeper on price but may be worth the extra penny, i tried the rapala magnum 13' earlier again the balance and weight is not ideal for me, tomorrow more rods to look at, and if i really come across a rod that clicks with me, oh well ill probably put it to the torture test right away, LOL!!! Does anyone heard about the browning six rivers? How are they on the feild?

#9 staffman

staffman

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 08:25 AM

Browning rods have a habit of breaking easily .

#10 RiverRuns

RiverRuns

Sunfish

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 06:15 PM

Thanks bud, i saw one at a local tackle store for 100 bucks or 2 for 150, LOL, i dont have a doubt it would turn salmies over with no problem, but my main "thing" is the actual weight of the rod, a little too heavy for me, i doubt that i would last a day fishing with it without taking like 5 breaks just to rest my arm, but thanks for the tip, i had that one in the selection list anyway,

Who has the Simax's on 2 for $150.00?
The key wth any Rod is to balance the reel on it properly. The weights of the Rod or the reel become moot if your setup is unbalanced.
Having said that, the Simax is one of the lightest rods around...I wish I had the specs. to back my claim.

#11 classic drifter

classic drifter

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 12:24 AM

Who has the Simax's on 2 for $150.00?
The key wth any Rod is to balance the reel on it properly. The weights of the Rod or the reel become moot if your setup is unbalanced.
Having said that, the Simax is one of the lightest rods around...I wish I had the specs. to back my claim.

Pro J tackle here in scarborough! LOL!!!

#12 James5354

James5354

Sunfish

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 06:12 PM

I think simax company went belly up so that means no more warranty and thats why the rods are selling for dirt cheap at 150 for 2 rods thats not a bad deal, I never held one myself, but would like to hear feed back on it if anyone has one.

#13 RiverRuns

RiverRuns

Sunfish

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 09:39 PM

I think simax company went belly up so that means no more warranty and thats why the rods are selling for dirt cheap at 150 for 2 rods thats not a bad deal, I never held one myself, but would like to hear feed back on it if anyone has one.

As mentioned in an earlier post, I own a Simax. It is a nicely built Rod with a ton of backbone, and compared to some of my other float rods, is very lightweight. I have no trouble fishing with it all day. The only thing I find is that it is a little uncompromising in the hook set; if you try to set the hook to hard you have the tendency to pull it right out of the fishes' mouth. I would definitely recommend it as a power stick.
At 2 for $150.00, you are getting a hell of a deal, and you don't really have to worry about the no warranty because you have an extra rod as backup/parts. I have fished mine hard for a couple years without issues.

#14 classic drifter

classic drifter

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 03:40 PM

okay fellas i have made my decision and i went with IR4J's custom steelheader IM8 you cant go wrong, i just need to fish with it to know what are the limits to the power of the rod and how to utilize the rod the best way possible, looks and feels whippy but without testing it yet i cant judge it yet, if its the rod for the job i will have no problem keeping it, thanks for all your help and tightlines everyone! p.s. steel are just around the corner so cant wait till the chrome starts pouring out of the tribs. thanks again regards C.D.

#15 IR4J

IR4J

Perch

• Active Members
  • 884 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 05:43 PM

My experience with the rod is that it loads easy but the bottom section holds all the power. Goodluck with the rod, you'll enjoy it brother ;)

#16 classic drifter

classic drifter

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 08:31 PM

Matt Thanks for the kind advice brother! I shall "boot test" it this weekend! LOL!!!!

#17 fishing89

fishing89

Perch

• Active Members
  • 582 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 10:17 PM

i own a 14' IM8 ... amazing rod, good backbone yet i did snap one last year on a tiny steel. Still not sure if it was my "high sticking" or a crack in the rod due to some epic bush whacking and car tossing....regardless, that rod has been solid for me safe for that one time

#18 fishfreek

fishfreek

Perch

• Active Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 08:42 AM

I have the 9.6 and the 11.6 Browning Six River series and for the price you cant go wrong.

#19 classic drifter

classic drifter

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 12:34 PM

okay lets see what this IM8 can do tomorrow with some boots, if it flips it with no problem then ill keep it the rod, if for whaetever reason im not happy ill try and get the shorter 11'6", LOL

#20 fishing89

fishing89

Perch

• Active Members
  • 582 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 09:30 PM

+1 for the six river series. I have the 7'2 UL and that was my first spinning/float rod used for steel/cinnys. Landed some hogs on that baby and not even a scuff.

Its my spinning combo with a micro reel at the moment