39 replies to this topic

#1 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 12:35 PM

Hey folks.

What is it now?  The fifth year?  Well the salmon run is slowing down and the trash has piled up so its a good time to give the system a good, deep clean.  Typically the clean up lasts about 3 hours and we usually take out ~20 bags of garbage.  We meet in Newcastle and hit two main spots - we split into two groups.  One group does the mouth while the other the train tracks - we hang out afterwards shooting the breeze, drift some lines, etc.  No heavy lifting required.  Highschool volunteer hours can be signed off.  We usually find some cool stuff :lol:

Gloves, bags, water provided.

Sunday October 25

Meet at the Toronto St. parking lot near the mouth in Newcastle ( Mill Street exit off the 401 ) at 9 am and finish approx 12 pm.

photo1_zps22070ec3.jpg

#2 chinhook

chinhook

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 02:23 PM

going to try and make it this year. Might be able to bring a couple extra hands as well.

#3 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 02:51 PM

I have a friend with a highschooler looking for volunteer hours...let me see if he's down.

#4 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 08:47 PM

Right on :cool:

#5 flandogg

flandogg

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 09:23 PM

See you there!!!

#6 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 10:14 PM

Hey sweet! Finally rendezvous after so many tries

#7 flandogg

flandogg

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 06:56 AM

Haha totally!

#8 Shmogley

Shmogley

Luck is one of my skills!

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 09:58 AM

im going to try to make it.

its a busy time of month for me so i wont know for sure until that week, but im going to put an effort into showing up

#9 Fishheads

Fishheads

Float Fishing Superstore

• Active Members
  • 754 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 05:26 PM

You screening my calls again D Bone? Give me a shout.

Fishheads is in and ill have some product to hand out with me. Will be nice to see some familiar faces and meet some more of you all.

J

#10 despotiko

despotiko

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 09:02 AM

Time flys, wow. Felt like just yesteray we were carrying whole lawn chairs, blue ice coolers and beach umbrellas out of the marsh. To bad I'll be missing it this year, word of advice...bring a net. ;)

IMG_20151008_224549_zpscy05ajjn_edit_144

River cleaning, Indonesian style.

#11 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 10:01 PM

Cool shot despotiko - patiently awaiting your return to sit down and talk trips over a Bud Light Lime ( or 10 ).

Thanks for all the interest.  Fishheads has come forward and will be giving out free stuff on our day out.  Thank you for reaching out and being so generous.  Hopefully he will chime in with what hes got in store for us.

#12 ChasinTails

ChasinTails

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 06:13 AM

gonna try to make it, got my license now so I should be able to unless school comes in the way 

#13 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 10:55 AM

we really had it bad here...osmec3b1a-bridge-before-april-2009.jpg

#14 flandogg

flandogg

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 11:43 AM

^ A pool all to yourself, dream come true

#15 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 11:55 AM

you will need to do a triple take on washing your beloved simm's waders on that for sure...

#16 classic drifter

classic drifter

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 01:31 PM

DILLIGAF, This looks like a " creek " back home, just look at all those "structure"  that the fish could hide into LOL!!! and yes this is the typical water body condition for the most of our back home waters 

#17 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 01:45 PM

DILLIGAF, This looks like a " creek " back home, just look at all those "structure"  that the fish could hide into LOL!!! and yes this is the typical water body condition for the most of our back home waters 

yes...I remember when I was in high school we have field trips cleaning up a portion of pasig river. It was black stagnated water. Sad really. Imagine if the river was clean...I heard the gov't at one point dumped thousands of janitor fish in there to help clean up. there could be river monsters there now...

#18 Knuguy

Knuguy

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 996 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 02:13 PM

what the heck are janitor fish?? do they go around with a mop and pail??

#19 classic drifter

classic drifter

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 02:24 PM

yes...I remember when I was in high school we have field trips cleaning up a portion of pasig river. It was black stagnated water. Sad really. Imagine if the river was clean...I heard the gov't at one point dumped thousands of janitor fish in there to help clean up. there could be river monsters there now...

yeah bud, laguna lake and pasig rivers are heavily infested with them now, this fish are not even edible! and are good for nothing plus they destroy fishermans nets and eat alot of wild producing fish eggs, and BTW the local waters are now a semi amazon area, thanks to all those released and escaped pets when flooding happens are all now in the waterways and lakes. gotta hand it to them peacock bass, clown knife fish, giant red tail catfish, plus a mix of african cichlids makes fishing the local waters fun! water quality was never good as long as i can remember though. 

KNUGUY, they are common pleco fish, known locally as the janitor fish due to its "tank cleaning" habbits they are algae eaters so the government figured they would clean things up, well they were wrong! LOL!!!

#20 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 04:01 PM

fish%2Bbig-janitor-fish-and-the-viewers-doesn't go around with a mop and pail but perhaps sucked like a dyson...