• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mwerneburg

mwerneburg

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 07:36 AM

Hello, everyone. Learning to fish from the shore after my retired mother decided to sell the cottage that was with the family for 96 years. My seven year old son's really been bitten by the fishing bug, I'm pleased to say. But I'm very aware that our 6' rods and short net aren't going to cut it at Tommy Thompson, and I've watched too many fish of different species ignoring any kind of presentation and technique I've tried. So I'm effectively starting again!

I decided to join because of the depth of knowledge and the breadth of discussions I've seen here. Thanks for having me!

#2 Borms

Borms

Sunfish

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 08:10 PM

Welcome ... great group of people on this site.

I've learned lots from them.  Sucks about the cottage.

#3 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 09:29 PM

Welcome from Toronto.  Wicked cool that your kids on the fishing tip.  Trout are beginning to trickle into the streams - lots of fun ;)

#4 Berg

Berg

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 03:24 PM

Welcome to the forums! Sure you will learn lots, seems to be a lot of GTA area anglers especially.

#5 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 03:45 PM

Welcome. Leslie Spit a.k.a. Tommy Thompson is a great area for fishing if you don't mind the hike. if you go a little bit east at ashbridges that's another nice spot to fish. good for pike. I love tagging my kid when I fish too. adds to the excitement. And they scream when they get something good and they rub it in your face...

#6 PUMP KNOWS

PUMP KNOWS

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 05:29 PM

Welcome to OFF :)

#7 mwerneburg

mwerneburg

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 12:20 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone. I'd thought I'd see some email(s) alerting me, I didn't notice the replies 'til just now.

@DILLIGAF?!, we love Tommy Thompson, but we've been skunked even arriving well before I mean um at opening time. By east of Ashbridges you don't mean along the beaches?

#8 mwerneburg

mwerneburg

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 12:24 PM

@Borms, It's a shame indeed, but it's a common story up there these days - boomers selling out to finance their retirement.

I'm going to try to hang onto the canoe and the 1960's Sears aluminium boat if I can figure out where to keep them. I've already got the equally antique (and not functioning) 5HP engine in the storage unit at our apartment here in the city. If anyone can recommend a reputable repair shop for both boat and motor, I'm all ears.

#9 Shmogley

Shmogley

Luck is one of my skills!

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 01:01 PM

welcome bud. tommy thompson can be a hoot in the summer for carp bass and pike. 6 foot rod is just fine.

if you arent having any success just try to fish in a way where youll have fun even if you get skunked, if thats possible. some people only enjoy it when catching ;)

tossing a small crab fly at carp there was one of the most fun days ive ever had in ontario. was 'almost' like fishing redfish down south

cheers

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: new member