5 replies to this topic

#1 Polish rifle

Polish rifle

Earthworm

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 09:04 AM

Hi all,

Long time reader, first time poster.  Had a question regarding species migration.  Was down at a west trib during the heavy rain fall we got across the GTA on Wednesday walking the dogs and noticed the water level was higher than Ive ever seen it.  Was back at the same trib yesterday (thurs) and had noticed the water levels had gone back down quite a bit so I was able to walk it.  Upon my walk I came across a salmon carcass (coho or chinook, was too dark to tell).  I know this trib does not get any salmon or bows due to a massive dam at the base of this trib.  I'm assuming that with the realtively high water levels over the past few days, this fish was able to overcome the dam and make it upstream.  But since there generally arent any salmon in this river, I was wondering if this fish was just simply lost?  Why did it come up this river?  Pretty sure this fish didnt hatch in this river.  Just wondering what your thoughts are about that.

Thanks,

PR 

#2 BowSlayer

BowSlayer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 01:22 PM

Salmon are stupid lol, they just keep going against the current until they no longer can and while you will only see major runs in rivers where they are stocked, there will also be a few trying to get into any creek they can.

#3 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 31 October 2015 - 11:22 AM

8156523860_19af11e297_b.jpg

What BowSlayer said.  Often times fish move in and out of watersheds regardless if they were born ( or implanted ) there or not.  A certain strain of steelhead from around Toronto has been found in Quebec Atlantic salmon waters - they travel.

#4 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 31 October 2015 - 12:53 PM

Ya they're not too happy about those steelies either

#5 Knuguy

Knuguy

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 996 posts

Posted 31 October 2015 - 01:33 PM

What BowSlayer said.  Often times fish move in and out of watersheds regardless if they were born ( or implanted ) there or not.  A certain strain of steelhead from around Toronto has been found in Quebec Atlantic salmon waters - they travel.

Pretty stupid indeed---trying to cross a slippery road  w/o a crosswalk sign!!

#6 NaturehasIT

NaturehasIT

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 31 October 2015 - 11:31 PM

I saw this one the weather network last year from the States when they had flood. Cool Pic