• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 bigugly

bigugly

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 04:12 PM

Another good day. Can't wait for my Christmas present of waders, trying to land these fish is crazy without them.

Attached Images

• image.jpg

#2 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2015 - 04:16 PM

Oh oh.
Easy on him guys

#3 Paul1913

Paul1913

Perch

• Active Members
  • 592 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 04:46 PM

Nice fish. Easy on the fish too... Unless you're keeping it.

Slowly starting collecting the gear is fun.

#4 bigugly

bigugly

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 05:28 PM

Oh oh.
Easy on him guys

Yea yeah it took off in a flash. Go on and tell me how hurtful it is

#5 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2015 - 05:51 PM

No need.
You obviously know.
I'm not here to preach.
Just here to enjoy the interaction with fellow sportsman.
Beauty fish.

#6 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 07:07 PM

just because it swam away doesn't mean it'll live. If it's head is bent back like that I can't imagine it being alright. try to hold them by the tail and support their belly. Anything vertical is supposedly bad on their spine.

#7 bigugly

bigugly

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 08:03 PM

I normally try not to but want a picture and didn't want to lay it on the shore.

#8 salmotrutta

salmotrutta

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 08:08 PM

just because it swam away doesn't mean it'll live. If it's head is bent back like that I can't imagine it being alright. try to hold them by the tail and support their belly. Anything vertical is supposedly bad on their spine.

Head bent back?

#9 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 08:56 PM

I normally try not to but want a picture and didn't want to lay it on the shore.

I understand.

Head bent back?

Take a look at the pic if you haven't already. Not completely sure if that's the case there but looks like it to me. I've seen it too much on the rivers. Guys carrying out their trout or posing for a pic with a decent fish and most of the fishes body weight hanging by the head. Looks like the head's gonna fall off.

#10 bigugly

bigugly

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 09:13 PM

I will take a step back. Yes I shouldn't have taken picture like this, not going to defend it. I'm here to learn, I would never do it to a real bruiser this was a 3-4lbs fish. Was a very pretty fish and gave a great battle, I should have gave it more respect.

#11 Paul1913

Paul1913

Perch

• Active Members
  • 592 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 10:22 AM

It takes a lot to admit it too. Speaking generally for OFF I'd say we're not here to argue/berate/insult each other. We learn from each other.

#12 curtis89

curtis89

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 10:36 AM

nice fish. fishing by yourself and trying to get a decent picture is not an easy task. 

#13 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 10:39 AM

I will take a step back. Yes I shouldn't have taken picture like this, not going to defend it. I'm here to learn, I would never do it to a real bruiser this was a 3-4lbs fish. Was a very pretty fish and gave a great battle, I should have gave it more respect.

Meh...lesson learned dude. We all get caught up in the moment sometimes.It's part of why we're out fishing, to get videos and capture the moments. I've done that too but now I'm mostly just unhooking my catch without taking them out of the water...go home and...

5%2B(3).gif

#14 Aqua

Aqua

Sunfish

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 10:43 AM

Up the challenge even more... Pinch the barbs...

#15 Diana Danger

Diana Danger

Steel Bunny

• Active Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 01:06 PM

nice fish. fishing by yourself and trying to get a decent picture is not an easy task. 

GoPro, bro

opener2015%282%29.jpg?dl=0

#16 bigugly

bigugly

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 01:15 PM

I'll keep fishing and learning. My next big thing is a centrepin and a better rod. I use a spin reel with a 12'6" Convergance Shimano rod. More suited for Chinook does the job but hard to fish all day. Saving up.

#17 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 01:27 PM

As a member of  Take Care of Trout Elitist Task Force ( the TCTETF ), I would like to chime in here.  Its not that you're totally destroying the fish by holding it by the gills but its not good, they were not designed for that.  Add to that the fact that the fish can squirm and wiggle which can result into a bigger mess.  Sure thats all they do in the bass tourneys and all but c'mon, its bass, who cares - anything other than trout is just trash ( I kid! I kid! ).  What we don't want to do is promote this type handling, before you know it noobs are finger banging gill plates and rippin' gill rakes ultimately killing the fish.  Online fishing forums are places to learn and share - keep the photos rollin' in :cool:  

It could be worse - hang a musky vertically and be prepared to get an 18" Believer e-inserted anally. 

#18 Paul1913

Paul1913

Perch

• Active Members
  • 592 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 01:31 PM

I'll keep fishing and learning. My next big thing is a centrepin and a better rod. I use a spin reel with a 12'6" Convergance Shimano rod. More suited for Chinook does the job but hard to fish all day. Saving up.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't that rod work fine with a pin. Now that I think of it. I think it's what I have.

#19 Berg

Berg

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 01:31 PM

Finger banging gill plates, lmao.

Hey troutddicted, is it better to set the fish down on the bank? If you're alone what's the best way to get a pic, in terms of the fish health?

#20 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 01:49 PM

berg - ideally we shouldn't even be fishing and leaving them in peace but who the hell wants to do that?  In all honesty, steelhead are tough as rocks, ever catch a fall fish?  Those big minnow like buggers that fill the streams of up north lakes?  Such fragile wimp fish.  Think of stocked fish as little parr getting their fins clipped - the small little tiny squirmer is pulled outta the water, typically held with wool gloves until its fin gets clipped - out of water, slime getting stripped, scissors slicing and dicing yet they grow up to be majestic beasts.

Anyways, setting the fish down on the bank isn't great either - out of water for a while, flops around, slime gets stripped yada yada yada.  I suppose the best, least intrusive way would be to keep it in a net and take a pic of it in the water or holding it by the tail in the water?  Theres a good video pinned up top of a few of the subforums that one of our members found, check it out.