26 replies to this topic

#1 pfc_ivan

pfc_ivan

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 09:54 PM

Hello,

I did a lot of research before posting this and found a lot of usefull information - thank you all.

I just bought a new rod (Streamside FS1302 - 13 feet - IM8 - Light, Line Wt 4-8lb) & new centerpin (Streamside Vortex 4.25"). Now I have never fished with centerpin reel but seeing how many people on the river used it, I would like to get into it and learn it. However, before I set it up, I have a few questions that I was unable to find on the forums.

My centrepin holds 300 yards of 8lb line. I see that a lot of people are using 'backing' because in reality you are never going to need 300 yards of line.

1. Is this backing absolutely needed, or I can just put 300 yards of line on my centrepin without the backing?

2. If backing is necessary, what material can I use to build up the thickness on the centrepin, or it must be some kind of a line?

3. How far off the edge of the centerpin should I stop with spooling my line?

4. What kind of a knot should I begin when I start the spooling of the centerpin?

Sorry if I did not use proper terminology, just very new to this centerpin talk :)

Thank you,

#2 RiverRuns

RiverRuns

Sunfish

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 10:13 PM

Replacing 300 yards of line at a time can get expensive, so I would put on enough backing d so you only need 100-150 yds of mono. Some guys build up their reels with cork etc. to eliminate/diminish the need for backing. I like mine spooled to approx. 1/4 inch of the rim; any more and you can have too many "loops" flying off in the side cast, too much less makes longer casts more difficult. Arbor knot for backing to reel, and blood knot for backing to mono.
Just my preferences...others may have different opinions.

#3 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 10:19 PM

definitely put backing on the reel, it will save you money and time in the long run. I like a lot of backing so that I only have to respool with 100-200 yds of mainline 2-3 times per year. Most stores or online stores like fishheads have dacron backing which is good stuff. I like to fill the mainline close to the rim of the pool, about 1/8", but this depends on your casts. I'm lazy and use uni to uni knots. Arbor knot to tie backing to spool.

#4 pfc_ivan

pfc_ivan

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 10:50 PM

Hello RiverRuns & WpD,

Thank you for your quick answers. Say the time & money are out of the equation.

Is there any additional reasons why backing could be more efficient in comparison to just spooling 300 yards of mono? I bought 1000 yards of Raven mono today for 15$, so about 150 yards that I spool (which would have been backing) is only 2.25$. How much cheaper would the "backing" be in order to justify not spooling 300 yards of mono and filling your whole centerpin?

Thanks again!

#5 Berg

Berg

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 01:42 AM

My only thought is that if you use all mono it's really not going to save you line. Over time as WpD said, the backing will save you line.

With braid backing you'd replace the mono portion all at once as it got low. Unless you do this with the all mono option too, you're going to end up cutting off twisted lengths of line or adding lengths of line to refill the spool as it gets low... it's going to leave you with awkward blood knots throughout your mainline that will catch in your guides, cause tangles, ruin your drifts, etc.

Most people use braid or some type of backing it seems. It will cost you $15 bucks or so to put 150yds of 30lb braid on there, and it will last. Take your reel back to where you bought it and see if they'll even spool it up for you for free, often times they do upon purchase. 

#6 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 08:48 AM

Hello RiverRuns & WpD,

Thank you for your quick answers. Say the time & money are out of the equation.

Is there any additional reasons why backing could be more efficient in comparison to just spooling 300 yards of mono? I bought 1000 yards of Raven mono today for 15$, so about 150 yards that I spool (which would have been backing) is only 2.25$. How much cheaper would the "backing" be in order to justify not spooling 300 yards of mono and filling your whole centerpin?

Thanks again!

Better for the environment. If you use backing then you could get over 5 spoolings out of that spool of raven. I think a spool of 100yds of backing is about $10. Remember that a spool of backing could last 10 years easy and many different reels.

#7 pfc_ivan

pfc_ivan

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 10:30 AM

Thanks All.

Why does it seem that most of the people are using some sort of braid line for backing? Is it ok if I take duct tape for example, and just wrap it around the real to get some thickness on it, and then put around 100 yards of mono? I am just unsure as to why it has to be some sort of the line rather than any material that will add thickness to the reel?

#8 Berg

Berg

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 01:16 PM

Theoretically it's in case a fish runs a distance greater than the length of your mainline.

People talk about the benefits of long float rods and centerpin reels for long drifts... Well if you hook into a bruiser at the tail end of a long drift, it could be a ways down the river in a hurry. Saw it the other day actually. However, 100yds is a heck of a run, probably not unheard of, but your problem would be branches and bends in the river at that point anyway. You probably could use duct tape... But honestly dude just use the braid backing. Don't gum up your nice reel with duct tape.

#9 IR4J

IR4J

Perch

• Active Members
  • 884 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 10:41 PM

The reason you are seeing "braid" backing is that the length of dacron (braid) backing weighs less the equivalent mono needed to fill the spool. this gets a little to deep into physics but by lightening the spool closer to the center of gravity the initial inertia needed to "start up" your reel spinning is much less. Not only will your reel operate better the dacron line is basically good for the life time of the reel. My grandfather will to this day tell me the braided dacron on his shakespear wondereel from the early to mid 40s will still haul a bucket out of scugog weeds.

Its all personal preference though, you know. The advantage to the start up is pretty minimal, I like to add the custom look to my reels to make them my own so thats what I use.

Matt 

#10 Shawarma

Shawarma

Perch

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 09:37 AM

Basically it looks pretty sweet too. Coupled with only having to respond 150yrds or line makes it a bonus.

I don't buy line in 1000 yard spools so that's not really an option for me. If I do, most of it goes to waste.

There are no rules around what you use, only preferred and popular methods.

#11 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 11:00 AM

In theory, most people put backing to save you line which in turn will save you money - because the line in question is usually Hi-viz floating line. And these are not cheap. for steels I use hi vis main. Suffix Siege is the most affordable I can get. I love it. For salmon. I use trilene big game 15lb. as main. I don't need backing for that. just get the dacron fly line backing. it's $7 for 1 spool.

http://www.questoutd.../basic_rigging/

#12 Diana Danger

Diana Danger

Steel Bunny

• Active Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 01:10 PM

Hello,

I did a lot of research before posting this and found a lot of usefull information - thank you all.

I just bought a new rod (Streamside FS1302 - 13 feet - IM8 - Light, Line Wt 4-8lb) & new centerpin (Streamside Vortex 4.25"). Now I have never fished with centerpin reel but seeing how many people on the river used it, I would like to get into it and learn it. However, before I set it up, I have a few questions that I was unable to find on the forums.

My centrepin holds 300 yards of 8lb line. I see that a lot of people are using 'backing' because in reality you are never going to need 300 yards of line.

1. Is this backing absolutely needed, or I can just put 300 yards of line on my centrepin without the backing?

2. If backing is necessary, what material can I use to build up the thickness on the centrepin, or it must be some kind of a line?

3. How far off the edge of the centerpin should I stop with spooling my line?

4. What kind of a knot should I begin when I start the spooling of the centerpin?

Sorry if I did not use proper terminology, just very new to this centerpin talk :)

Thank you,

4. Go to sail in Oshawa and ask for Magic Matt, he will help you pick out backing/line and spool it for you nice and twight.  ^_^

#13 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 01:44 PM

4. Go to sail in Oshawa and ask for Magic Matt, he will help you pick out backing/line and spool it for you nice and twight.  ^_^

Will he do that to every schmoe or is there some secret codes....

Katie-Cassidy-Wink.gif

#14 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 01:44 PM

coz this is the best I can do....

1171.gif

#15 Diana Danger

Diana Danger

Steel Bunny

• Active Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 01:54 PM

coz this is the best I can do....

smiley-laughing025.gif

#16 James5354

James5354

Sunfish

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 11:12 AM

you can use kite string as a cheaper alternative for backing or thin layers of cork sheets as mentioned above, although I have owned some float reels with shallow spools that dont need the backing, I still tend to throw a bit on. If you plan to not use backing hand wind your line onto your spool and avoid getting the line spun on by machine at a tackle shop because that could warp your spool with the tension that is used on a machine, I have seen that happen on english style pins.

cheers

j

#17 Diana Danger

Diana Danger

Steel Bunny

• Active Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 11:32 AM

you can use kite string as a cheaper alternative for backing or thin layers of cork sheets as mentioned above, although I have owned some float reels with shallow spools that dont need the backing, I still tend to throw a bit on. If you plan to not use backing hand wind your line onto your spool and avoid getting the line spun on by machine at a tackle shop because that could warp your spool with the tension that is used on a machine, I have seen that happen on english style pins.

cheers

j

"english style", lol.

#18 James5354

James5354

Sunfish

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 01:24 PM

or "british style" lol

#19 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 10:39 PM

The reason you are seeing "braid" backing is that the length of dacron (braid) backing weighs less the equivalent mono needed to fill the spool. this gets a little to deep into physics but by lightening the spool closer to the center of gravity the initial inertia needed to "start up" your reel spinning is much less.

Where did you get this from? You want mass to be evenly distributed throughout the entire spool part of the pin for least amount of inertia needed to start up.  Your statement holds true under certain circumstances.  Check out moment of inertia. 

#20 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 10:45 PM

If the spool had more mass around its circumference, spooling with lighter line would technically help with a faster start up but as you mentioned above, the differences would be negligible.