• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 fishfreek

fishfreek

Perch

• Active Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 02:59 PM

Was out yesterday at one of my favourite tribs. Running a bit late but it didn't matter no one around. Get to my first pool and someone had me beat, no problem we say our good mornings and how great the weather is and the no crowd bonus etc. Now its a small pool that holds fish perfect for one guy but two can fish it no problem(drifting).I'm ready to move on and buddy says you can fish here if you want, I thanked him and set my self up. We were both drifting roe with no success , I change to a pinkie and got a few shakers (no skunk). He goes to pink worm with no luck then goes to a bead (peach colour) and bang fish on. Nice fight but it broke off. He ties up again a few drifts and a nice female.I put on a bead and couldn't get a hit. I adjusted my length added weight to my leader did a few more adjustments but NADA. I couldn't understand why this guy beside me was on fish number 5 with two already laded (CPR). He shared his secret with me. It was called using a Shot line. Something I knew of but never used. I'm a believer now, thanks to a stranger on the river.

#2 Berg

Berg

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 04:57 PM

I don't understand how the shot line was the difference. 

#3 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 05:23 PM

Neither do I. A shot line is just an interchangeable line with split shots. I keep some pre-rigged for different conditions. My guess is he's talking about his actual shotting pattern. Or the OP was using a high vis mainline straight to the leader, which could have been spooking fish.

#4 fishfreek

fishfreek

Perch

• Active Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 05:56 PM

Sorry for not being more specific of my setup but yes WpD your right I was shoting my high vis main line. My
leader was 5.5 maxima fluorocarbon.

#5 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 07:06 PM

How long was your leader? to be honest it's probably more of an adjustment regarding the  length of leader & shotting pattern. I have caught steel on clear water using the cheapest mono as leader (i ran out of fluoro) - meaning if the fish wants to hit a bait, it will hit it regardless on what leader you're using. I have used a shot line as well but the hassle isn't worth it for me. not only are you going to make an extra knot and you will be taking a different spool of line. i tie my leader straight to the main (no swivel) and put tapered shots on my leader with the bulk shots under the bobber. but hey, no crowd & lots of fish...can't beat that set up.

#6 jc53

jc53

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 07:21 PM

My breakdown on my shot line. It is @ 4 ft long. All my shot is on there so is my float.
swivel--float-shots--swivel--flouro to hook. This can be used with high vis lines or regular mono. Trilene xt is my fav it allows me to slide the float and shots up and down to adjust to conditions.
The swivels help with line twist.

#7 fishfreek

fishfreek

Perch

• Active Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 07:37 PM

Usual setup. Float a few shots right under and tapered down to my swivel. Micro swivel 5.5 fluoro. Don't really have had any problems with my setup. I usually run 4 to 5 foot leader, that day I was probably down to 3 due to a snag and a bead re tie. I should have re tied a fresh leader but I didn't. I do believe I got schooled and learned something at the same time. The advantage of a shot line(non hi vis) is for finicky spooked fish.

#8 fishfreek

fishfreek

Perch

• Active Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 07:42 PM

My breakdown on my shot line. It is @ 4 ft long. All my shot is on there so is my float.
swivel--float-shots--swivel--flouro to hook. This can be used with high vis lines or regular mono. Trilene xt is my fav it allows me to slide the float and shots up and down to adjust to conditions.
The swivels help with line twist.

What LB line is your shot and main line?

#9 jc53

jc53

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 08:02 PM

Main line 8lb promix, 6 lb shot line. Flouro 4 to 6 froghair

#10 fishfreek

fishfreek

Perch

• Active Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 08:18 PM

Main line 8lb promix, 6 lb shot line. Flouro 4 to 6 froghair

Thanks, my main is 8lb Raven, I guess 6 lb shot line it is.

#11 flandogg

flandogg

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 10:53 PM

Great suggestions. One thing I like to do is put my float on my main line because occasionally I will lose my shot line for some reason or the other but I will still have my $4 float :)

#12 jc53

jc53

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 11:03 PM

I use trilene xt line. Xt line is great for sliding the splishots on it. Just do not pinch your shots too tight.
The swivels are a big of a pain, but make sure you know your knots. Two foot of fluoro to your bead then hook

#13 fishfreek

fishfreek

Perch

• Active Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 10:10 AM

Now instead of worrying about slippage or break on three knots it becomes five.

#14 Majstor

Majstor

VIP Pro Staff

• Active Members
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 08:08 PM

well if you don't want to have 5 knots just run a regular clear mono line. why leave your self thinking which knot will give out, im running straight main to leader with my 8lb promix for a few years now no issues catching fish even in gin clear water.

#15 IR4J

IR4J

Perch

• Active Members
  • 884 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 12:20 AM

Im running a mix of 8lb tritanium (chartreuse) and 10lb pro mix (lemon grass) straight to leader... Ive definitely caught fish in gin water doing this, and have completely removed the shot line from my arsenal. 

There are many variables when it comes to float fishing, especially beads. Even though you could be running the same depth, having differing shot patterns could mean the difference, another factor being hook size/weight. The hook can affect the tumble rate and swing out/speed of your presentation. 

#16 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2015 - 11:17 AM

I run straight 6lb main .No leader.
Ran straight 4 lb test for a while.
Yes. Hooked up more. But tangles from missed hook sets or the wind were a nightmare.

#17 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 09:30 PM

Am I the only one who uses 12 lb main?

#18 artimus001

artimus001

Sunfish

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 10:03 PM

agreed. i truly fail to understand the whole concept.

#19 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2015 - 10:48 PM

I don't get it either Artimus. Only time I even look at using a leader is when pike fishing. And that's only because out of the half dozen reels I have none are spooled with anything larger then 10 lb test. Lol

#20 ChromeAddict

ChromeAddict

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 10:50 PM

^ Agree as well. I just run mainline to leader, no shotline. Although I haven't had any luck this season, I don't see how a shotline would give much of an advantage.