51 replies to this topic

#21 classic drifter

classic drifter

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 11:02 PM

Am I the only one who uses 12 lb main?

No youre not alone brother, reason of me using 12 is it somewhat gets stuck in the creases of my digits when i side cast if the line is too small dia. I still remember when PUMP KNOWS first saw me out east, he was like what Lb test line are you using? Like 20lb? Then i told him it was 14 at that time, i explained to him and he understood why, LOL!!!

#22 Knuguy

Knuguy

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 996 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 11:57 PM

agreed. i truly fail to understand the whole concept.

The advantage of a shot line for me is that I can put the shots on at home. I can't put those small shots on the line on the river with my big fingers and less than 20/20 eyesight. If I neeed more weight, with pre-tied and loaded shot lines I can switch to a heavier one.

#23 salmotrutta

salmotrutta

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 12:26 AM

Was out yesterday at one of my favourite tribs. Running a bit late but it didn't matter no one around. Get to my first pool and someone had me beat, no problem we say our good mornings and how great the weather is and the no crowd bonus etc. Now its a small pool that holds fish perfect for one guy but two can fish it no problem(drifting).I'm ready to move on and buddy says you can fish here if you want, I thanked him and set my self up. We were both drifting roe with no success , I change to a pinkie and got a few shakers (no skunk). He goes to pink worm with no luck then goes to a bead (peach colour) and bang fish on. Nice fight but it broke off. He ties up again a few drifts and a nice female.I put on a bead and couldn't get a hit. I adjusted my length added weight to my leader did a few more adjustments but NADA. I couldn't understand why this guy beside me was on fish number 5 with two already laded (CPR). He shared his secret with me. It was called using a Shot line. Something I knew of but never used. I'm a believer now, thanks to a stranger on the river.

So many factors. This was one day, one pool. IMO you cannot extrapolate these results to other pools, days, water conditions, seasons, etc.

I've outfished everyone around me using cheap spoons on some days, catching a half dozen steelhead while watching everyone else get skunked. The other anglers were using roe, beads, etc and chumming like crazy.

But at the same river, in different conditions but at the same time of year, roe could be very productive and the spoon could catch nothing. 

What I am thinking is that whatever was different about his presentation (and there are many factors, including some subtle ones we can't even think of), it wasn't necessarily going to outfish your presentation under different circumstances. 

How deep was the pool? Maybe he was drifting lower or higher in the water column, and the fish were favouring that depth. 

#24 fishfreek

fishfreek

Perch

• Active Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 02:49 AM

The only difference was my shots on my coloured main and his on clear line. Same length leader and test lb.

#25 Shawarma

Shawarma

Perch

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 09:39 AM

Nope. I do as well.

#26 Diana Danger

Diana Danger

Steel Bunny

• Active Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 10:45 AM

Nope. I do as well.

I do too.

#27 Kit

Kit

Canadian River Angler

• Premium Account

• 1,895 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 11:03 AM

When I float fished I used a 6lb main and was tired of loosing fish. So moved to a 12lb main with a 8lb leader. Hardly lost anymore fish.

#28 Shawarma

Shawarma

Perch

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 11:46 AM

I personally make crappy knots sometimes and so , the less knots the better for me. Main to 6lb leader. I have a feeling though it's the 12lb to 6lb floro that's making my knots slip. Or it's just bad knots. Lol.

#29 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2015 - 12:09 PM

When I float fished I used a 6lb main and was tired of loosing fish. So moved to a 12lb main with a 8lb leader. Hardly lost anymore fish.

#30 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2015 - 12:12 PM

You know I've got to ask.How would 6lb test cause ya to lose fish? I land 25 30lb chinnies with it.

#31 artimus001

artimus001

Sunfish

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 03:24 PM

I personally make crappy knots sometimes and so , the less knots the better for me. Main to 6lb leader. I have a feeling though it's the 12lb to 6lb floro that's making my knots slip. Or it's just bad knots. Lol.

are you using a swivel?

what knot are you using?

#32 Shawarma

Shawarma

Perch

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 04:01 PM

Yep, micro swivel with an improved clinch. You'd think it would hold but I'm sure it's not seating correctly when being cinched down.

#33 Knuguy

Knuguy

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 996 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 07:44 PM

I find flouro and braid more prone to slippage than regular mono.

#34 Brian

Brian

Perch

• Active Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 10:20 PM

I use the improved clinch as well most times. My knots never fail anymore; I had lots of practice learning to tie it properly.

However my line breaks due to different factors. When I was on the river a few weeks ago, I was using 6 pound line and I broke off on an 8 pound rainbow, but afterward I landed a 25 pound salmon no problem.

Gotta keep checking for those nicks and abrasions. 

#35 artimus001

artimus001

Sunfish

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 02:55 PM

Yep, micro swivel with an improved clinch. You'd think it would hold but I'm sure it's not seating correctly when being cinched down.

a pigtail on the end of your line will tell you if it is knot slippage.

#36 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 03:37 PM

12lb is my standard line for steels. but I'm a cheap bastard and now use whatever i have in the box when I respool. I've used 15lb mono trilene, 8lb suffix hi vis. as long as your knots are good, the difference are subtle. the important stuff imo is what's under the bobber (leader, shots & offering).

#37 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2015 - 04:55 PM

Very interesting to me at how you guys set up in 2015. Generation gap at its finest. Lol. The first 11 ft rods were brought out for the sole purpose of allowing the use of light line. Reason being the rod was just a big shock absorber. To this day 30 yrs now I'm still using the Loomis blank I built and purchased from the now retired L.G custom tackle. Built back than for just under 300 bucks. The Sweden built zebco 3 was the Islander of today. And everyone's choice to match with these rods. Today my Loomis is paired with a Stradic 1000 fj. And still catches fish. And I have to admit you guys are actually leaning me to try one these pins your all so dedicated to.

#38 fishfreek

fishfreek

Perch

• Active Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 05:50 PM

Some of my buddy's won't go more than 4lb leader.

#39 artimus001

artimus001

Sunfish

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 10:01 PM

12lb is my standard line for steels. but I'm a cheap bastard and now use whatever i have in the box when I respool. I've used 15lb mono trilene, 8lb suffix hi vis. as long as your knots are good, the difference are subtle. the important stuff imo is what's under the bobber (leader, shots & offering).

best post yet.

#40 artimus001

artimus001

Sunfish

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 11:52 AM

I don't get it either Artimus. Only time I even look at using a leader is when pike fishing. And that's only because out of the half dozen reels I have none are spooled with anything larger then 10 lb test. Lol

the shot line is the part i'm questioning. i've used a 'leader' for everything (flies, roe, lures, etc). it is like using a shear pin. in the case of a snag, all that you change losing is your leader and none of your main line.

for pike fly fishing i use a piece of 20lb as my bite tippet. even though it is an added set of knots, i add a piece of 10lb between the tippet and the leader for snag protection.