• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 James5354

James5354

Sunfish

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 01:20 AM

Diana Danger, were you in of that tourney?

#22 CampVibes

CampVibes

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 02:06 PM

Hey guys, sorry for the late delay is response, work has been crazy, also I should of known better when I comes to naming tribs (rookie mistake). I'm fly casting, I've been tying on eggs, woollies and even streamers. I usually try to get out early when I can, around 7-8am, I go late afternoon from time to time. This has been my first couple months fishing the area and feeling kinda lost haha.  

#23 michaelPhillips

michaelPhillips

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 04:35 PM

Hey guys, sorry for the late delay is response, work has been crazy, also I should of known better when I comes to naming tribs (rookie mistake). I'm fly casting, I've been tying on eggs, woollies and even streamers. I usually try to get out early when I can, around 7-8am, I go late afternoon from time to time. This has been my first couple months fishing the area and feeling kinda lost haha.  

Swinging streamers is tough when water temps get below 41.  That's all I pretty much do regardless of conditions. Since the temps have dropped I have taken only two fish and I fish almost everyday.  Mind you they were both double digit fish that hit like a train! It was worth it for sure.

If you want a solid chance at a fish put on a indicator. 5 feet of 20 lb test to a small swivel. Then a couple feet of 5 lb fluorocarbon to a pegged bead 2 inches above a hook, Then tie a 12 inch dropper to the hook shank with another bead.  The length below the indicator should be 1,5 X the depth (subject to change to using bead head nymphs instead of  bead).  Start with 1 or 2 BB shot near the swivel. You should hit bottom  every now and then or else you don't have enough shot. if you hit bottom every drift its to much.

Now when your indicator goes under, lightly lift feeling for a fish. If it is lift another foot or two fast. The reason for this is most times its bottom and if you set fast the fly line can scare fish. Also beads are so light they will fly up and twist up like you won't believe

Sometimes I change one or both beads out for nymphs like,  Black stone fly, prince nymph size  8,10/12, zug bug size 10/12, hares ear size 10/12, green caddis,san juan worm,  hex nymph/sparrow nymphs. I also sometimes put on smaller egg sucking leeches or buggers, but not as much as the others in the very late fall. 

You probably already know this stuff but if you don't it definitely will help. Remember your upstream,downstream and stack mending will make or break the presentation 

#24 CampVibes

CampVibes

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 10:55 PM

Swinging streamers is tough when water temps get below 41.  That's all I pretty much do regardless of conditions. Since the temps have dropped I have taken only two fish and I fish almost everyday.  Mind you they were both double digit fish that hit like a train! It was worth it for sure.

If you want a solid chance at a fish put on a indicator. 5 feet of 20 lb test to a small swivel. Then a couple feet of 5 lb fluorocarbon to a pegged bead 2 inches above a hook, Then tie a 12 inch dropper to the hook shank with another bead.  The length below the indicator should be 1,5 X the depth (subject to change to using bead head nymphs instead of  bead).  Start with 1 or 2 BB shot near the swivel. You should hit bottom  every now and then or else you don't have enough shot. if you hit bottom every drift its to much.

Now when your indicator goes under, lightly lift feeling for a fish. If it is lift another foot or two fast. The reason for this is most times its bottom and if you set fast the fly line can scare fish. Also beads are so light they will fly up and twist up like you won't believe

Sometimes I change one or both beads out for nymphs like,  Black stone fly, prince nymph size  8,10/12, zug bug size 10/12, hares ear size 10/12, green caddis,san juan worm,  hex nymph/sparrow nymphs. I also sometimes put on smaller egg sucking leeches or buggers, but not as much as the others in the very late fall. 

You probably already know this stuff but if you don't it definitely will help. Remember your upstream,downstream and stack mending will make or break the presentation 

Do you have a visual example of this? I'm more familiar with the method of attaching a bobber/yarn indicator (placing the indicator 1.5-2X the depth of the water from the fly), with two nymphs, tying the lower fly to the upper fly's hook bend while adding some split shot to help lower the bottom fly.  

#25 bigugly

bigugly

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 09:22 AM

Was nice meeting you yesterday. After I picked up kids I managed to hook into one but it shook the hook in like 5 seconds. Was nice to feel one though. Hope you had some action but it's still slow.

#26 CampVibes

CampVibes

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 01:20 PM

You as well my friend! I didn't get any action at all, did you hook it where you started yesterday?

#27 bigugly

bigugly

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 05:18 PM

No I was a little further North.

#28 michaelPhillips

michaelPhillips

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 03:51 PM

Do you have a visual example of this? I'm more familiar with the method of attaching a bobber/yarn indicator (placing the indicator 1.5-2X the depth of the water from the fly), with two nymphs, tying the lower fly to the upper fly's hook bend while adding some split shot to help lower the bottom fly.  

Very sorry about the late reply. I've been working a ton and out swinging flies every chance I get. 

This is very familiar to your nymphing setup. Just with beads and a swivel to help connect The fluorocarbon leader to the tippet.   20 Lb test to 5 lb test. The key difference is shot goes exactly goes above swivel so you get a good bottom bounce with the beads. There neutral buoyancy will have them bouncing nice and high off the bottom but they won't get to high because the weights at the swivel hold them down.   I can make a picture if you like or your invited to come along fly fishing with me anytime.

#29 CampVibes

CampVibes

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 10:55 AM

I can make a picture if you like or your invited to come along fly fishing with me anytime.

That would be awesome!

#30 michaelPhillips

michaelPhillips

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 12:01 AM

Here's a pair from this week ! The natural coloured Hoh bo spey fly was killer in the low cold water! I'll send you message with contact info

Attached Images

• brown spey.jpg
  • steel hohbo.jpg

#31 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 12:37 AM

Sweet looking fish right there

#32 michaelPhillips

michaelPhillips

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 01:52 AM

Thanks man this has been my first spey only year and its been great. Here's another pair of below 40 water temp steelhead I picked up.  This buck hit a 6 inch + purple intruder fly and the doe hit the same fly only a 4 inch version.  The real champ was the small doe in the last pick. I've never had a harder take in all my life. 

Attached Images

• buck spey steelhead.jpg
  • steel release 1.jpeg

#33 flandogg

flandogg

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 11:12 AM

Great stuff bud! First year fly/speying for me. Hope I can get one to hit before the cold really hits.

#34 Diana Danger

Diana Danger

Steel Bunny

• Active Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 11:42 AM

Diana Danger, were you in of that tourney?

I was not.  If you saw a blonde it was probably my friend Jessica ;)

#35 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2015 - 02:15 PM

I was not. If you saw a blonde it was probably my friend Jessica ;)

Jessica Danger I've heard of her.
She's a river fishing legend.

#36 Diana Danger

Diana Danger

Steel Bunny

• Active Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 03:31 PM

Jessica Danger I've heard of her.
She's a river fishing legend.

Cant tell if your trolling or..... lol

#37 michaelPhillips

michaelPhillips

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 11:25 PM

Hey flandogg I  hope you get a nice fish  A.S.A.P . Most fish hit really hard, but it wasn't until my 5th bow that it not only lived up to the hype, but completely surpassed it.  That was a fairly small January bow. Even when it gets really cold try a few deep sunk patterns before nymphing 

If you need any tips,advice,swing water ,or W,E shoot me a message ! 

#38 flandogg

flandogg

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 01:23 PM

Hey flandogg I  hope you get a nice fish  A.S.A.P . Most fish hit really hard, but it wasn't until my 5th bow that it not only lived up to the hype, but completely surpassed it.  That was a fairly small January bow. Even when it gets really cold try a few deep sunk patterns before nymphing 

If you need any tips,advice,swing water ,or W,E shoot me a message ! 

Will give it a shot, thanks bud!

#39 PUMP KNOWS

PUMP KNOWS

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 04:01 PM

Thanks man this has been my first spey only year and its been great. Here's another pair of below 40 water temp steelhead I picked up.  This buck hit a 6 inch + purple intruder fly and the doe hit the same fly only a 4 inch version.  The real champ was the small doe in the last pick. I've never had a harder take in all my life. 

Nice catch!  btw do you fish with a older gentlemen?

I may have seen you guys.

#40 michaelPhillips

michaelPhillips

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 12:24 AM

Nice catch!  btw do you fish with a older gentlemen?

I may have seen you guys.

Thanks pump! Yup I often fish with my dad :) . Say hello next time if you can. Me and him watch your videos all the time

I might as well show off the decent sized doe I caught on a mini purple intruder  

Attached Images

• doe steelhead mini purple intruder.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fly Fishing, Fishing, Ontario, Fall, Lake Ontario, Tribs