• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 mamona

mamona

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 10:08 AM

My advice for a first timer. Know where to fish. Lots of tribs close to you. 

I kinda started looking for places to fish. Say I go for a walk along Credit. See people trying to fish. All I see and hear is dissapointment. I walk further, trying to figure out maybe there are better spots, maybe fish is somewhere else? Eventually I come back with conclusion there is no fish at this time.
And this is just one example. So, question is, where to go? :) 

#22 bigugly

bigugly

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 10:16 AM

Almost all the people I talk too have said its been a real bad fall. Some are still catching or say they are. Lol. I was out yesterday in my home trib and caught ten all under a pound though. Had two bigger fish on but am having a hell of a time getting hook sets on the nicer ones. I wish I knew where all the fish were too. Also it's been a fall of early morning bite. With one exception all our fish have been taken before 9:00, gotta be there early!!

#23 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 12:07 PM

I kinda started looking for places to fish. Say I go for a walk along Credit. See people trying to fish. All I see and hear is dissapointment. I walk further, trying to figure out maybe there are better spots, maybe fish is somewhere else? Eventually I come back with conclusion there is no fish at this time.

Knowing where to fish doesn't guarantee a hook up. Knowing how, when is just as important.

#24 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2015 - 01:13 PM

Almost all the people I talk too have said its been a real bad fall. Some are still catching or say they are. Lol. I was out yesterday in my home trib and caught ten all under a pound though. Had two bigger fish on but am having a hell of a time getting hook sets on the nicer ones. I wish I knew where all the fish were too. Also it's been a fall of early morning bite. With one exception all our fish have been taken before 9:00, gotta be there early!!

I find it the opposite in cooler Temps. For traffic reasons I don't even leave home till after 930 and T.O traffic settles. I find the water under full sun seems to get these fish moving. Even turn a fish or two mid afternoon.

#25 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 03:58 PM

For traffic reasons I leave home at 4:30-5am except for the last three weekends where I turned my alarm clock off in my sleep every time!

#26 trouttamer

trouttamer

Sunfish

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 03:58 PM

true enough sometimes the sun warms the water a tad and turns on the bite, say 9-1 then it slows again till dusk, Although there are a few rivers I like to fish first light generally, with traffic on the water I am getting there early more to try and get a drift I like before it crowds up. not as bad once the snow starts to fly

#27 michaelPhillips

michaelPhillips

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 04:28 PM

I find it the opposite in cooler Temps. For traffic reasons I don't even leave home till after 930 and T.O traffic settles. I find the water under full sun seems to get these fish moving. Even turn a fish or two mid afternoon.

This is a good rule for winter fishing. Its proven fact that water temperature has a huge affect on steelhead. Most times getting up early is a waste of time, but I still do it when before work is all the time I get . Also like trouttamer said you get first drift (swing in my case) through the stretch.

For me I notice a big difference when water temps are below 40,  Some say numbers like 45 - 42 is the drop off with california's strain and 42-36 is the drop off with B,C's strain that seems to take colder temps

#28 bigugly

bigugly

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 10:49 PM

Now is that air temp or water temp? My only option to fish tomorrow is after night shift tonight, I'll likely be streamside by 6:30..

#29 Paul1913

Paul1913

Perch

• Active Members
  • 592 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 10:58 PM

Water temps. 630 is great. First light is always good.

#30 salmotrutta

salmotrutta

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 01:14 AM

My advice would be to pick your favourite area, if you have one, and fish there often. Don't fish too many areas at first, try to master one. 

Factors to consider would be distance from you, ease of access, season for that stretch water of course (so you're not fishing out of season), etc.

Looking back, I think frequenting the same area really helped me to learn quickly, and not just for steelhead, but other species as well.

Only move on if you feel compelled to, like if you're not catching anything at all, and you don't see anyone else fishing there. If it's desert of anglers and fish, that's probably for a reason. Long stretches of extremely shallow water are no good. Look for pools, undercut banks, logs/beaver dams. Structure, structure, structure. Be it a bridge with deep, shaded water beneath, or even just some large boulders or rocks. These silver fish know how to hide in the most limited nooks and crannies.   

Some of the best spots get the least amount of angling pressure. If you're lucky to find these gems early on, exploit that as much as you can. You'll need practice taming these feisty fellows at first. Eventually it will be a piece of cake, until you take a break and go at it again, then they'll make you feel like a beginner again. 

I don't think anyone has mentioned lures - they are gold for catching steelhead. Winter may not be the best time for lures but they can still produce in cold temps. Fall and Spring, spinners and spoons are very effective. 

After a rain, when the water is stained brown, bright roe bags that are on the big end of the spectrum work well year-round. If it's just starting to rain but the water isn't completely stained, worms are very effective. To pull steelhead out from their hiding spots in clear water, nothing beats a silver spinner cast repeatedly near structure where you expect them to be holding. 

Evening bite is very often the most productive for late winter and spring. But rain changes that, and in stained water, any time of day can be productive. 

#31 mamona

mamona

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 10:01 AM

This thread gets better and better, thank you salmotrutta!

#32 mamona

mamona

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 10:14 AM

My advice for a first timer. Know where to fish. Lots of tribs close to you. Safety first. check out the waters you're going to fish.

Hi Dilligaf,

Tried to PM you but error message says you cannot receive messages (inbox full?)

I have 9ft Daiwa, spinning reel with 15lb line. The only thing is that I do not quite understand 
how I should rig/prepare suggested setup. Do you have any visual representation of that maybe?...
Another question would be, how or what technique should I use with it?
What would be best place to get roe? I imagine there hundreds of bead types, which one should I use?
And most important, can be fishing in the winter be productive? (I am already excited)

#33 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 10:24 AM

Hi Dilligaf,

Tried to PM you but error message says you cannot receive messages (inbox full?)

I have 9ft Daiwa, spinning reel with 15lb line. The only thing is that I do not quite understand 
how I should rig/prepare suggested setup. Do you have any visual representation of that maybe?...
What would be best place to get roe? I imagine there hundreds of bead types, which one should I use?
And most important, can be fishing in the winter be productive? (I am already excited)

I will just answer your questions here...

You can google search...float setup for trout. bead setup for float fishing...

there are lots of variations but if you're just starting, stick to the basics...even youtube has demos on it.

When it comes to technique, YOu can catch steels on different techniques. a simple cast of a spinner, spoon or my favorite, small plugs (hotntots, yozuri pins, rapala jointed hj 07)

I buy my roe online. I don't like the idea of shilling so I will pm you the site. If you think you're ready to bag roe, then by all means. beads & glo bugs are great substitutes for roe.

Just remember that steelhead fishing is quite different from fishing bass, panfish, pike.  And don't forget a nice pair of polarized...

#34 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2015 - 10:34 AM

Water temps. 630 is great. First light is always good.

Always ? The only always I've experienced in fishing is that it's great to be out there. Lol

#35 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 11:18 AM

Hi Dilligaf,

http://www.raventack...g_patterns.php 

#36 Paul1913

Paul1913

Perch

• Active Members
  • 592 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 05:30 PM

Always ? The only always I've experienced in fishing is that it's great to be out there. Lol

Hahahah is true

#37 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2015 - 06:20 PM

And a float down to ya Paul.

#38 mamona

mamona

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 01:51 PM